3 replies to this topic

#1 Majozak

Majozak

PC Guru Wannabe

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

Hi,

My computer is sluggish and I'm looking to speed it up a tad. I scanned for viruses and removed redundant anti-spyware/anti-virus programs (as you can see in my other forum post).

In order to speed up my system, I'm considering replacing one or both of my 1G Ram sticks with 2G ram sticks. Do you think that would be an efficient way of boosting my systems performance?

Here's my current set-up if it's not already obvious... Windows Vista x32 Home Premium Service Pack 2 (build:6002) AMD Athalon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor X2 with 2 Gbyte; NVIDIA GeForce 7300LE

Of late, I've only used this PC for surfing the net and watching 1080p videos on YouTube (My internet is 20mbps). Perhaps in the future I will game again, but in order to run games like D3 and SC2 etc. I think I'll need to replace this machine.

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Edit: Please read the Instructions and post the requested logs. We need the information in order to help you.

Edited by cnm, 05 May 2012 - 03:42 PM.

Don't let life pass you by. Know what you want to achieve in life and then move towards that goal.
If you don't, you're like a ship without a rudder with life acting like the sea, tossing you about in no particular direction.
You have gifts and talents that others need...Go be a blessing to someone!

Mike

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,345 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

I forgot to address this question in your other topic... Adding 1 Gig of RAM is unlikely to make a significant difference and even adding 2 Gigs won't be all that helpful... It is likely you would get some performance boost, but probably not as much as you might hope... If the RAM is fairly inexpensive for your computer and you are comfortable swapping it out yourself, I would say to go ahead with it...

Installing an SSD drive as your boot drive can give you a significant boost, particularly for startup, but it won't impact most programs and, unless you get a big SSD drive, you may need to run a lot of programs from a different drive... I have an 30 Gig SSD for my boot drive and it boots extremely quickly... I have many programs and almost all data stored on other conventional drives... I am planning to upgrade to a 240 Gig boot drive so that I don't need to worry so much about filling it up... Most SSD drives cost about a dollar a Gig, so they are not cheap...

There are a few other hardware upgrades you could do that might make a difference... If your CPU is not the top one for the mainboard, you could get some more speed by updating that... A video card with more power might help, but is likely to be pricey...

You can check at NewEgg for options - they usually have good prices and some of the best service online: http://www.newegg.com/Index.aspx
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 Majozak

Majozak

PC Guru Wannabe

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 12:48 AM

I figured it wouldn't be as easy as just adding some RAM. Nothing's ever that easy is it lol?

I do feel comfortable switching out the memory though, so I think I will plan on doing that.

I had no idea SSDs existed so I'll definitely keep an eye out for some inexpensive options. I don't use a lot of space on my hard drive so the smaller space capacity isn't troublesome.

Thanks
Don't let life pass you by. Know what you want to achieve in life and then move towards that goal.
If you don't, you're like a ship without a rudder with life acting like the sea, tossing you about in no particular direction.
You have gifts and talents that others need...Go be a blessing to someone!

Mike

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,345 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

Here is the direct link to SSDs at NewEgg... http://www.newegg.co...ry=119&name=SSD

I would look for something right around $1 per Gig or less... I suggest getting at least 60 Gigs if you can afford it... Vista doesn't use as much as Win7, but it still eats up a lot...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!