10 replies to this topic

#1 LadderToAnita

LadderToAnita

Pest

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

These days we are told that all our computers have been installed an employee monitoring software called "--------------", which is strong and powerful enough to record all our computer activities when our computer is running, including email, websites, applications, screen snapshots and instant messages.

First I do not believe there is such metamorphic software and I try to download and install in my own computer. To my astonishment, it does successfully record everything in the server side, even content with detailed information of the mail I sent.

Even though there is no such monitoring software I would work hard by myself. I do feel insecure when I know I am under watching the whole day. How to stop such situation? Is it legal for our company to do like that?
Help please.

EDIT: To remove possible ad for spy software...

Edited by screen317, 18 December 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,417 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

In the USA, it is legal for an employer to monitor any and all activity on their own computers, but not on computers that would be owned by their employees... I suspect in your country there is even more license to do so... We do not provide help in going around this type of monitoring, especially since the person who attempts to get around it is likely to be fired for doing so... I suggest that if you want privacy, you do it on your own time and your own computer...

I removed the name of the software from your post since that may be an indirect way of advertising it...
Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,257 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

When a company issues PCs to its employees, it has every right to insist that the PCs be used only for company business. The PC is not yours and you would do well to observe your company's rules.

The company also has the right to install whatever software it wants to on its own PCs.

As Budfred has said, your private internet use should be on your home computer and not on company time.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#4 PP3P

PP3P

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

These days we are told that all our computers have been installed an employee monitoring software

Why should they not in your opinion?

How to stop my boss form watching us?

Why do you seek to do that ? What are you doing at work that you should not be doing ?

which is strong and powerful enough to record all our computer activities when our computer is running, including email, websites, applications, screen snapshots and instant messages.

That is their intent as you are using an employer's machine, in work time and using their electricity and internet access;therefore not working but using work time for your own convenience !!

First I do not believe there is such metamorphic software and I try to download and install in my own computer.

I suggest you need to be careful as you may end up getting yourself infected and /or keyloged !!

To my astonishment, it does successfully record everything in the server side

You may not know it but so does your ISP know which sites you visit on your home computer and you have the privilege from them of so doing; they too can ban you or restrict your internet access if they so wish if, in their opinion, you do abuse your internet access

I do feel insecure when I know I am under watching the whole day.

One might ask why as I suggest you may then be doing something you should not be?

How to stop such situation?

Stop using the employers computers for anything that is not work related

Is it legal for our company to do like that?

Yes it is and I believe than when you signed up to your company and to get a user-name and password you were also told that all internet use was monitored and recorded?

Help please.

Stop using the work computer for anything not work related ...and if you really feel you cannot do that then think about getting another job?

#5 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,417 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

I apologize to anyone following this topic - I was rushed and didn't check out this pest - he/she/it is actually a SPAMmer who posts this message and others promoting the very software that he was supposedly complaining about... He/she/it has been banned and flagged as a SPAMmer...
Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#6 susanal

susanal

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

When a company issues PCs to its employees, it has every right to insist that the PCs be used only for company business. The PC is not yours and you would do well to observe your company's rules.

The company also has the right to install whatever software it wants to on its own PCs.

As Budfred has said, your private internet use should be on your home computer and not on company time.

But is it legal to track our private information?

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,417 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

As has been stated here and many other places - in the USA, it is definitely legal for an employer to track your personal information if you type it into your work computer... In many cases, you are not doing your work if you are conducting personal business on a work computer, so the owner clearly has good reason to be concerned...

In other countries, the rules might be different...
Budfred

#8 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

It's the same in the UK, and rightly so. I see no reason why an employer shouldn't track what their employees do with their time while they're being paid to work, to my mind it's no different from having a supervisor checking on you in person.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#9 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Malware Vigilante

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

It's not fully approved in Australia and tends to be up to the discretion of the employer if they have this sort of software installed.

I can certainly see why you would want it would to be installed if you were the employer, particularly if your employees spend many hours on the computer.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to help keep this forum running; see this topic for more details.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#10 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,417 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

Please note that the person who started this topic and the other people asking about it have been SPAMmers who are here to promote keylogger software... I don't know if any legitimate members of the forum have concerns about this issue since it is well known in the USA that employers have the right to monitor computer use...
Budfred

#11 rickyaliasgar

rickyaliasgar

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

"You cannot block your company from monitoring your computer because if you try to block them from remotely monitoring your computer, there can be two consequences:

1.) You can lose your job, if caught.
2.) Your company can over smart you by using other techniques of employee desktop monitoring such as having on premise remote support appliance installed for e.g. RHUB appliances. "

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button