• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:30 PM

I can't find much information regarding what has changed?
Will SD1.62 become redundant?
Any reliable resourceful links?

Thanks In advance.

OS's Used

XP Pro 32bit, Vista 32bit and Win7 64bit

Edited by WhaleBat, 09 October 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,253 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:31 PM

There is a thread in Spybot forum you could follow..

Version 2 is still only a Release Candidate and it's likely that 1.62 will be supported for a long time. I'm guessing that 2 will use the same database so no need for it unless you want the new features. You can get some idea of the features from the image posted in First Spybot Search & Destroy 2 Release Candidate available!

Posted Image

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hello Cnm

Thanks for the quick reply and links :thumbup:

It would be a pity for it to become SpybotCD (commercially Destroyed !)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it
.... comes to mind.

#4 Scanner71

Scanner71

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

Check this www.ghacks.net/2012/11/17/spybot-search-and-destroy-2-0-has-bloatware-issues/" Article out.

Spybot 2.0 will be released TODAY !!! :yahoo: :good:

EDIT: To disable link... Please do not post links in the forum without explanation and with apparent advertising intent... Thank you...

Edited by Budfred, 19 November 2012 - 08:11 AM.

#5 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

Bloated..... Norton, AVG, Ad aware.... and the list goes on.....

Sounds like a stage play...... Death of A Software !

So what follows......

Spybot 2.0 Removal Kit?:=@:

Sad.

:ugh:

Edit
I suppose Spybot 1.62 will become redundant as they push version 2.0 ?

Edited by WhaleBat, 20 November 2012 - 08:25 AM.

#6 Tex10

Tex10

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

My experience with SpybotSD 2 was not a good one. Acer Laptop computer came with McAfee Security Suite as a 3 month trial version which I removed. I installed Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 and then noticed an Action Center message stating that Windows Defender (the default Virus Checker replacing MS Security Essentials in Windows 8) was turned off. I tried using the Services under Administrative Tools to turn it on, but it would NOT stay turned on. I had to uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 in order to get Windows Defender to Start and run. I have now installed the old Spybot - Search & Destroy version 1.6.2 and now both applications are working properly. It appears that Spybot - Search & Destroy 2 conflicts with the default Windows Defender in Windows 8. I don't know if there are any solutions to this conflicting issue, but I will stay with Spybot - Search & Destroy version 1.6.2 for unless someone has a way to make things work properly.

#7 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

Tex10

Thanks for posting your findings.

What will we do without a reliable spybotSD when it's been destroyed!

I've been using 1.62, not so brave as you.

Sounds very sad.

Edited by WhaleBat, 29 January 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Spybot and Windows Defender are working exactly as they are intended to work...  Almost all anti-spyware programs are going to turn Defender off when they are installed by design...  If you run two anti-spyware programs at the same time in resident mode, they are likely to conflict with each other and actually reduce protection...  Because of this, Windows will turn off the default programs when it detects an anti-spyware or firewall from another party being installed...  If you want to use the latest version of Spybot, do not install it in resident mode or use it instead of Defender...  If Defender now includes antivirus as well as anti-spyware, you can see if you can turn off the anti-spyware function if you prefer the resident mode of Spybot...  I am not familiar with Win8's version of Defender - previous version are anti-spyware only... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#9 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,416 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

The Windows Defender in Windows 8 does indeed include both antivirus and antispyware, and with another security program installed it will be turned off.

http://www.pcworld.c..._whats_new.html

http://www.pcworld.c...-windows-8.html

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#10 Tex10

Tex10

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

As confirmed by TheJoker, Winodws 8 does use Windows Defender as the default Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware Tool. Now Budfred has suggested that if one wants to use Windows Defender in Windows 8, one should NOT install SpybotSD 2 in the resident mode. Please provide instructions on how to install SpybotSD 2 in a non-resident mode. I am assuming here that if one does install SpybotSD 2 in the non-resident mode that the immunization of Internet Explorer will work and that one can manually run SpybotSD 2 periodically to remove any unwanted bad items. Any comments????

#11 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Hello

I emailed the SPYBot 2.0 Support here's the reply.

I can't comment any further as I have not installed it yet but would be

interested if any others might  email SpyBotSD 2.0 Support  their experiences

if not covered by the link below.

Support Response:

Spybot 2 does currently not contain a resident protection.

Hence there are no compatibility issues to be expected.

If some parts would conflict, just those parts could be disabled. For
more information we have created a compatibility overview listing some
software, where compatibility has been asked for before:

http://www.safer-net.../compatibility/

http://www.safer-net...ng.org/support/

Edited by WhaleBat, 31 January 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#12 Tex10

Tex10

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the reply WhaleBat; I agree that SpybotSD 2 is compatible with Windows 8 as stated on their Web Site. The problem is that the Windows Defender in Windows 8 is disabled when SpybotSD 2 is installed. I would have to say that the conflict (compatibility) problem is between Windows Defender and SpybotSD 2. With Windows Defender being the default Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware tool, this is a problem....

#13 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hello Tex10

I understood the Defender issue you explained so when I emailed the SpybotSD 2.0 Support I included a link to this topic and

asked for them to comment. When I asked the question I made the mistake of refering to Windows 8, 7 etc compatibility.

My post would have been more informative had I asked the correct question, sorry about that.

So who is at error here, microsoft or the Spybot Folk?

It would be better if the OS didn't force Defender and it's Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware toolon folk.

Edited by WhaleBat, 31 January 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#14 Tex10

Tex10

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hi WhaleBat; No need to apologize. We are here to find solutions. I don't consider Microsoft at fault for making Windows Defender the default. For most Users, the Windows Defender is better than nothing. They do make it so that the third party suppliers of Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware can disable Windows Defender when their product is installed. This is where the conflict comes in. I feel that SpybotSD 2 should be able to be installed as an additional tool to fight the war on spyware without disabling Windows Defender. As you are probably very aware, not any one product can clean or protect one from Viruses and Spyware. These are my thoughts....

#15 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hello Tex10

You Wrote:

I feel that SpybotSD 2 should be able to be installed as an additional
tool to fight the war on spyware without disabling Windows Defender. As
you are probably very aware, not any one product can clean or protect
one from Viruses and Spyware. These are my thoughts....

Well that's much what I though and learnt through this site theres no one solution.

Hopefully they sort it out 1.62 has been so good ..... if it ain't broke don't fix it eh?

#16 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

As noted before, you should be able to install any other program as long as it doesn't run in resident mode...  If Spybot really doesn't run in resident mode, it should be able to coexist with Defender and not disable it...  If it is disabling it, it suggests that some component of Spybot is being run resident and you should be able to turn that off...   Since I do not use Win8 and haven't used Spybot for a number of years because they have become so much less effective, I have not personally experienced how this all works...  My recommendation if you wish to have an on demand anti-malware scanner, install MBAM's free version... 

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#17 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

Hello Budfred

You Wrote:

My recommendation if you wish to have an on demand anti-malware scanner, install MBAM's free version

I have MBAM (Free) and SpyBotSD 2.0 installed on my PC as I found in the passed for whatever reason they seem to identify

different malware. I mean I can scan with one and find nothing whilst the other does and visa versa that being if an infection gets in which isn't that often when following the advise given on Spyware info.

I also like Avast Free Anti-virus.

Edited by WhaleBat, 01 February 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#18 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,388 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:12 AM

I would go with MBAM and Defender - using Defender for the resident protection and to pick up whatever MBAM might not...  Then run MBAM when desired as a stand alone scanner...  Avast is a good program, but is an antivirus - it is a different type of protection - given that Defender now includes an antivirus, it is more similar to that than to either MBAM or Spybot...

Budfred

#19 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

Budfred

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

I see the sense in what you say.

I just mentioned that I liked Avast Free Antivirus.... really it was out of context with the topic.

I wrote back to SpybotSD 2.0 and this is their response

I'm sorry, but as I said Spybot 2 does currently not have a resident
feature, hence it can't be disabled or installed in a non resident mode,
as there is none.

It maybe I'm I've judged it unfairly and should try it for myself.

It's just that I've read poor reviews about it.

I appreciate your comments regarding the use of Defender (I've been disabling it) and MBAM.

Although what I do at the moment seems reliable, it may be that I'm not as protected as I think I am

for reasons I might have overlooked.

Hopefully you can make sense of this post.... I'm kind of thinking out loud !

:shok:

Edited by WhaleBat, 01 February 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#20 housema

housema

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:33 PM

I personally do not like the new version of Spybot2 even though it has few new features.  I did install and tried using but I'm ready to put the older version 1.62 back.  Yes when you install Spybot 2 it will automatically disable Windows defender.  Trying to disable the resident mode in Spybot2 is not as simple as it was in 1.62.  In addition, support from Safer-Networking regarding Spybot2 has not been very helpful.  If you tried to compare the different version paid or free on their website all of them do not specify any Resident mode.  Also, I've read on Safer-networking website that Spybot2 does not have a Resident mode.  When I tried running Combofix it stated that Spybot was running and to shut it down.  I'm a little confused, so until these bugs are fixed, I will go back to 1.62.

#21 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

Hello Housema

Thanks for posting your findings.

So does it have a resident mode, when I emailed them they quite specifically said No !

and because it didn't have a Resident Mode it couldn't be disabled!

I have just stuck with 1.62 too, it works just fine for me.

Who needs the hassle of Spybot SD2.0 eh?

:ugh:

Edited by WhaleBat, 24 March 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#22 housema

housema

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hello WhaleBat.

That is what's so confusing, can't figure out whether it does or does not have resident mode.  I willl stick to 1.62  also for now and check in a few months to see if any new updates or posts are available regarding it. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button