I can't delete some files in my TEMP folder

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 NeoGunn15

NeoGunn15

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:13 PM

When I goto my temp folder, there's three files called Cookies, Temporarily internet files, and history. But i noticed two hidden files in the temp folder. I tried deleting them, but it says the programs are being using by another person or program. Plus one of the files is somewhat duplicating every hour even when I'm off the internet! One of the program is called ~D(TMP File) with random letters after the D. the other program is called Perflib_Perfdata_10c(It's a DAT File). I tried using almost every antivirus program and antispyware program. Nothing so far to get rid of it. My question is, are those files suppose to be there or is it some kind of parasite or something?

Please help, I been trying to solve it for over 3 weeks now. :(

#2 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

Those particular files need special treatment. Read this for more info: http://www.spywarein.../may26,2004#tip
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#3 NeoGunn15

NeoGunn15

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:52 PM

I tried doing the advice you gave me, and nothing works. Those files are still in use by another program or user somehow. Instead, the ~D file spread to the new user account i created. There's something up with this file.

#4 jonbee

jonbee

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

NeoGunn15
I have the same file (Perflib_Perfdata), and in it, there is a file called "Change". I can delete all the other files, but not this one. I too, have tried every program to kill it, but it denies me access because some one or someother program is using it. I also have a file in the C:\Sysytem\Volume Information Restore folder. It duplicates and modifies itself every few hours. It consists of a long string of numbers. Scary. I think it is my Malware virus that I have control over at the moment, but can't find anybody to help me kill it for good.
I don't feel that the tip Mike gave you, was of any value. You ( I think ), want to know if there is a way to delete a file that you can't stop from running. Or, Is there some way to override the access denied, so you can stop it and then delete it? I have been asking the same thing evrywhere, but get no answers. There has to be some way to do it. Just need the right person to come along.
Just my thoughts,
Thanks...
jonbee

#5 a1cyberdog

a1cyberdog

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:17 AM

The %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdataxxx.dat files are created by the System Monitor. When you shutdown normally, the file should be deleted.

If you have an abormal shutdown, these files can become orphaned, and accumulate on your computer.

Under some yet to be determined circumstances, these files can become orphaned during normal operation.

The best way to remove these files is to add a command in a logon script:

del /q %SystemRoot%\System32\Perflib_Perfdata*.dat

#6 hue_j

hue_j

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:20 AM

^^^^^^ you guys,

to delete any files that are "HIDDEN" or "DELETE PROOF" from such said folders u must boot in to "SAFE" mode

Restart computer and before it boots up into the windows. hold down either: backspace, Delete, or F10 or F8 (** see it depends what computer/ windows OS ure running)

then once safe mode is up go into C:/Windows/temp and delete everything in there. Then you can also check for viruses while in safe mode, but then get rid of that and then reboot sys.

~S

#7 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

To get into safe mode ... How do I boot into "Safe" mode?

#8 ursamajoran

ursamajoran

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 02:57 AM

You don't have to go into safemode to delete any of the files located in the local settings/temp file. The temp ones that won't delete are running apps. I have 3 temp files that won't delete. AVG, SpywareGuard, and EMS FreeSurfer MKII. All are running as startup files. I also use motherboard monitor 5 to see my temps and voltage status in the task bar. That is the source for my Perflib_Perfdata.dat file. If I stop the monitor program, the .dat file vanishes instantly from the folder. I clear the contents of the temp folder frequently before I defrag. That's why I know you don't need safe mode to delete from that folder.

Edited by ursamajoran, 08 August 2004 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button