• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 azuleno

azuleno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

I have a Dell C521 [with XP Home edition]; 80GB hard drive, 512 MB RAM; used space about 60GB. It was working just fine a month ago. So I moved from out of town a month ago, and when I turned the PC in my new place, the PC gave a loud noise from the fan (?) so I decided to turn it off; it wasn’t doing anything /going anywhere. The PC was not dropped; I carried that in my car to avoid to keep from moving about.

I turned teh PC again after a few seconds, the noise now lasted less than a second, then all seemed OK. Within a few seconds, the PC gave a “drive 0 not found” message and did not complete the boot (stayed in the DOS window with the DOS drive error message). After rebooting several times, I had to get creative (know some PC stuff) and started to look into the setup parameters (using the F2 key). I changed a few parameters (mainly which drives were to be used to boot), semi-randomly but with some understanding / logic behind the changes, and all of the sudden the PC was working again. I backed/copied most of the files on an external hard drive just in case.

I had to turn off the PC because I had placed it on the floor of my bedroom and wanted to move it to my desk which was full of papers and stuff; remember, I just moved from out of town.

I thought everything would be OK since I had managed to boot the PC just fine, but now the PC gave me another nightmare problem. I get a (lower case L) lsass.exe error message that states “Insufficient system resources exist to complete API” and it is in an endless cycle of the same error message.

FYI, an important piece of info is that this PC was not connected to the internet for the past year… believe it or not!!! So I don’t think this is a virus.

I have tried to start in Safe Mode, as well as trying to start with the “Last know good configuration” and I get the same error in both cases. BTW, in Safe Mode it doesn’t boot either.

I “repaired” XP at one point (from the CD drive) to no avail. Now every time I turn the computer, it gives an lsass.exe error message that reads: "An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function." You don’t even have a chance to click ok, and Windows begins to boot all over again, and then the error message appears again. It just keeps going in circles, continuously getting the lsass.exe error over and over ad infinitum.

I was going to attempt to reinstall XP, but I stopped when I saw the following, from which I had to choose where to install. I have consulted various sites online and there are so many ‘potential’ fixes, I don’t want to mess my PC more than it is. Which partition should I use?

-: Partition1 [ FAT]   39 MB  (31 free)

C: Partition2 [NTFS]  71492 MB (36074 free)

E: Partition3 [FAT32]  4754 MB (773 MB free)

Unpartitioned space 8MB

I will deeply appreciate any tips. Pls remember that PC is in an infinite loop. I can use DOS commands **yikes, very rusty on that** or any other suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanks!

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hello azuleno.

Use Partition 2 - C: Partition2 [NTFS]  71492 MB (36074 free).

But first, it is possible that there really isn't enough memory, if one of the RAM cards got jiggled loose.

How to Install RAM in a Dell Dimension C521 shows you how to find and reseat it.  You don't want to replace, just remove and put back firmly.

Be sure to read down to the Tips & Warnings.

There is also a very longwinded video at .http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rQg0H0hZN9s

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 azuleno

azuleno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:34 PM

The RAM cards were ok. I reinstalled Windows XP. ... Here is the latest: I have to stop and take a break. I think the PC got all messed up. I am getting more messages of malfunctioning hardware at this point. I will tackle this again during the weekend and see how it looks. Will report back by mid next week or so.

I was thinking of using a SATA to USB cable to get the data from the 'bad' drive (as external drive; not boot drive) and hook to my 'good' PC. Never done this. Do you think it makes sense or am I asking for trouble and can mess up my 'good' PC as well? - Thanks!

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

You should scan all files before transferring them.  Generally data files (.txt, .png) will be safe, although some files like Word .docs and music files may contain macros that are executable.  It would be best not to transfer any executable files (.exe, .com. .scr, .bat, and the like).

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#5 azuleno

azuleno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

Agree! Thanks for the heads up. I will see what I can do and report back as I said by Wednesday or so of this week. Thanks!

#6 azuleno

azuleno

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:35 PM

I appreciate the help but I will request that you close this case as I have been heavily distracted with many other issues. I haven't had time to do anything at all... If/when I do get to this again, I will let you know. Thanks!

Member of UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button