Too much spyware removal stuff

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tprotani

tprotani

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:05 AM

My browser was hijacked about two weeks ago. I spent a very long time cleaning it up with the help of the Malware forum. In the process, I downloaded the following list of software:

Spybot S&D
Adaware
HijackThis
Spysweeper
Spyware Guard
Spyware Blaster
Registry Mechanic
Trojan Hunter
CW Shredder

and registered for a 90 day free trial of McAfee. I also switched from IE to Mozilla Firefox 0.9.1. I am having a few problems with this, but no pop-ups is great.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 with XP Pro Windows NT 5.1. I would like to know what I need for good security without going overboard. Also, I find the McAfee annoying with all the messages that things have changed in the Privacy Service and it should be restarted, so I'd like a recommendation for anti-virus.

Would someone advise me about what I should have? Also, is there a registry cleanup that is free?

Thanks,
Linda

Edited by tprotani, 07 July 2004 - 09:51 AM.

#2 ChrisRLG

ChrisRLG

Malware Remover

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:11 PM

Your post has most of the stuff, but check out my website below.

With spybot do use the teatimer feature if not already doing so. Belt and braces I also use winpatrol from www.winpatrol.com but it does the same job as teatimer.

Use hijackthis and make a copy of the current good state of play (save Log) - that will always show any additions when you do it the next time. Check (and save a new log) each time you add new software.
ASAP member since 2004 - MS MVP member since 2005
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
My- computer Safety online - Article and others Texruss's Hijackthis FAQ
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button