6 replies to this topic

#1 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I came across ShieldsUp recently.

I write to ask if anyone can advise is SheildsUp a genuine "Peoples Interest" test or is the test

more about Software Development testing on the part of whoever ?

The same goes for Leak Test

In the FAQ it was pointed out that some Software did not reveal Test Leak as malware when ideally it should have.

The explanatory link is broken, which supposedly Quotes Vendor Text confirming it to "Safe"

I can appreciate that Steve Gibson might be an expert in all these security issues and may be acting in "peoples" best interests. Although at the same time may be just using Social Engineering to obtain whatever information he can from testing his external environment.

If Steve Gibson's intensions are genuine.

Thanks.

Sheilds Up

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Leak Test

https://www.grc.com/lt/faq.htm

I notice also the FAQ goes back to 2001 !

What's happened since?

Edit

The site does contain a wealth of interesting tests, information and explanations.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Edited by WhaleBat, 01 March 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

ShieldsUP! is an excellent site for testing your security. If the ShieldsUP! test show that you have open ports, you are vulnerable. If it shows ports as closed, that means your system can be detected, and if it can be detected, there is the potential that it can be attacked. The different tests have different replies, but if you systems shows as not detected, or no ports visible, than you are fine. It's an excellent test, and I used it to confirm the setup of my hardware firewall, whose default setup had left one port open for remote access, which I promptly closed.

If the leaketest shows that the utility can communicate out without being blocked by your firewall, or blocked until you decide to allow it or not allow it access to the Internet, then your firewall is not configured properly to block unknown/unauthorized applications, or you may have one that doesn't look at outgoing traffic, such as the Windows XP firewall.

I notice also the FAQ goes back to 2001 !

What's happened since?

More ways to attack a vulnerable system. That's why it's important to have ports blocked, and a firewall that blocks unauthorized applications from going out. After all, would you want a trojan to send your personal information, such as credit card number of passwords out to an unknown site? That's the primary objective of much of today's malware, stealing information. That's the type of activity that a properly configured firewall can block, even if your antivirus was unable to identify the malware.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hello

Thanks for your feedback.

It does make much sense to test from the outside.

That's what attracted me to the site when I cam upon it by chance.

Pity I didn't know about it sooner.

As Steve Gibson comments on the SheildsUp site:

Any time a change is made to your system apply his tests to ensure a vulnerability hasn't been introduced.

It sounds like good advise.

Thanks again for posting.

#4 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

• Helper Trainee
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

I notice on the Firewall Page, he suggests that ZoneAlarm to be a good Firewall.

https://www.grc.com/su-firewalls.htm

Personally, I used it for a long time and the Free version was just fine.

I then purchased the Full version ( 3-4 years ago) which was in my opinion, was bloated and for some reason

caused the system to go slow. Uninstalling resolved the issue,.

I thought I'd try it again, as it was mentioned on the grc web page ( to see if the issues were in my imagination), no they were'nt !

When I went to uninstall it..... there was no uninstall listing in Programs and Features or via the Start menu (Windows 7).

Looking on the ZoneAlarm website for uninstall advise was fruitless.

Eventually I came across a Zone Alarm uninstall utility "clean.exe" on the internet.

I ran it an was surprised to find it quickly removed ZoneAlarm from my PC.

ZoneAlarm Uninstall Utility - clean.exe

http://www.majorgeek..._uninstall.html

All seems to be fine since uninstalling !

Can anyone shed some light on what they consider currently as  reliable trouble free Firewall software ?

Thanks In Advance.

Edited by WhaleBat, 02 March 2014 - 07:44 PM.

#5 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,370 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Two good free firewalls would be Comodo Firewall Free or Privatefirewall.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#6 psychicguy

psychicguy

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

What a very helpful site!  I tested out my connection to see if my firewall would block it and it did! :thumbup:

Thanks for the website and the Firewall suggestions. :)

#7 illumination

illumination

• Helper Trainee (A)
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:09 AM

Keep in mind with shields up, if you are behind a router, it will scan the router and not your software firewall. Many people have been confused by the results because of. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!