help deleted infected files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scottlauer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:52 PM

I have xp pro, Avast 4 pro anti virus detected virus and suggested imediate boot scan . I chose delete option. After scan, few programs will open, not even avast to undo, nor recycle bin undo. In safe mode I tried xp pro sytem restore to an earlier date, no luck? Programs cannot find program to open, I can get on internet thats about it? Any suggestion please. Thanks

#2 scottlauer

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

I found a registry backup in tweak xp pro, how can I restore, windows explorer still works? Is that a good idea? I downloaded avast cleaner, but windows doen't know what program to open with?

#3 thesh

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:54 PM

You need to run system file checker
open RUN BOX
Type SFC /SCANNOW and Have you windows XP CD in the drive
After that has completed

Download a Reg Fix program "not the one from microsoft it will messup the system"
Go to Download.com and download one.

That should fix you problem.

Edited by theshit, 07 July 2004 - 02:55 PM.

#4 sardak

I know everything.

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 08:36 PM

Generally, that's caused by a virus which puts itself between Windows and running executable files. A registry modification is the only way to repair the damage, but of course RegEdit is an exe file, right? Well, if you can find regedit.exe in Windows Explorer, you can rename it to regedit.com (yes, change the extension -- you'll need to disable the "hide extensions for known file types" option in the Folder Options portion of Explorer). You can now access the registry.

The key you'll be looking for is

The (Default) entry should be "%1" %*

Once that's restored, functionality should return to your normal programs. Note: You may need to reboot the computer for this change to take effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button