internet explorer 6

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SwedishFish

SwedishFish

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:27 PM

HOw do i completely remove ie explorer 6 cause im swithching to mozilla.

#2 thesh

thesh

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:37 PM

What OS are you using?

#3 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 03:45 PM

If you're running Windows, you cannot uninstall IE. Also, you still need IE to get Windows Updates. You need to retain IE and keep it updated to protect your computer from various other security risks. You don't have to use it as your main browser, but you do need it!
Posted Image

Edited by wreck, 07 July 2004 - 11:14 PM.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#4 SwedishFish

SwedishFish

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 09:54 PM

alright thanks but i tired some ways of getting rid of it so its not in good condition is there a reinstall or anything i can do to make sure its in top running condition?

#5 thesh

thesh

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:56 PM

Yes its possible, You can download IE 6 from Microsofts website and try to reinstall it, but if you have Windows XP it a mager chore getting it to reinstall. I wouldnt try reinstalling IE 6 in XP unless you really Know what you are doing.

#6 SwedishFish

SwedishFish

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:58 PM

well i have xp and since I cant uninstall it completely and Have messed it up trying and now I hear I cant reinstall it, unless i really know what im doing :gack: Im up a creek without a paddle.

#7 SwedishFish

SwedishFish

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 07:47 PM

can anyone come up with any further suggestions? It would be much obliged

#8 B@ckdoor

B@ckdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:46 PM

Well, well SwedishFish... In Swedish I would say "Du e torsk!!!"..:-)))

Since you already have broken your system it would be nice for others to know if any of these solutions work.

Backup your important things before doing anything!!!

http://www.theelderg.../repair_ie6.htm

http://www.theelderg...ie_and_oe_6.htm

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=318378

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Use the information provided at your own risk.

From theeldergeek site: "It's still my contention that piling fixes and repairs onto a damaged operating system is just postponing the inevitable reformat."

Your choice... and Good Luck!!!

B@ckdoor

#9 B@ckdoor

B@ckdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 12:25 AM

BTW, have you tried System Restore???

Give it a try if you have a restore point before you started cleaning out IE.
It's a very long shot but i think you are prepared to try anything.

And once again: Backup all important stuff before fiddling arond. You're in a situation that suddenly XP won't boot anymore.

Back on sunday and hope to see that you fixed it!!!

B@ckdoor

#10 roadrage

roadrage

SWI Junkie

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:09 PM

Hello: SwedisFish :wave: , Yes it helps to know what kind of OS you are running thank you. also if you dont have this get it it is called HijackThis from here:http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
After Install, Run dont fix anything, and create a log file and post it back for us thank you this will help us out greatly

This might be more simple

You may be asked to insert (Win XP Disk) for this, if you do not have this ignore these steps below and go to Step5:

ATTENTION: Do a (System Restore Point) first then go to step 1:
To do this: Click Start, Help and Support, Click Undo Changes To Your Computer with System Restore, in the radio dial button click Create a (System Restore Point) Click Next and
Let Windows do its thing after it is all done continue.

Step1: Click Start, click Control Panel, Click Add or Remove Programs,
Step2: In the left side of the splash box select Add Remove Windows Components.
Step3: In (Windows Components Wizard) select MSN Explorer there are two IES make sure you check the one with the (butterfly) in it, it should be about a 13.5 megabyte file.
(Caution) check this one and this only please, if you think you checked mark something else by mistake click Cancel and start from (Step1) again.
Step4: Click Next and let Windows do its things, it ask you a few questions along the way which could be ignored such as setting up e-mail accounts and such, if it ask what kind of connection you use for the internet check the appropriate box like (Dial up) etc
When all is good and done you will need to Reboot Computer so that the process will be completed.

IMPORTANT:
Step5: Now when you are back in Windows click Start, All Programs, Find Windows Update, should be on the top fourth one down that says Windows Update and click for Update this is because a recent flaw has been discovered in IE6 and you can download all Patches and Service Packs for your system, this is (Critical).

It is best to leave bundled Microsoft Products intact with your OS, here is the url for downloading Moziila and Firefox if you do not want to use IE6

URL: http://www.mozilla.org/download.html

When you load these browser's and start the Internet Browser Windows will ask you if you want to set that paticular Browser as Default you can click Yes

If you find this help useful please reply to your post
thanxxx roadrage :wave:

Edited by roadrage, 11 July 2004 - 03:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button