laptop wont boot

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

My laptop has been working fine apart from a slight 'hanging' problem which was sorted on another post.
Briefly, I decided to uninstall Avast to see if another anti virus would suit better (only, really because my partner mentioned it). Uninstalled with Revo, which I have used for a long while. Downloaded
Glarey and before installing I restarted the laptop to get rid of the last bits of Avast.

This is where I had the problem and no idea why.

Restarted and
I got - Starting windows - Windows is loading files - then the Start up repair screen.
Problem came up as. D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys is corrupt
Tried the Start up repair four times

Tried system restore - no points could be found (yet I know I made a few myself and presume automatic ones were made)

Tried last known goodconfiguration and it takes me to the Start up repair screen.

Can't do any scans etc obviously

Samsung R730 running Windows 7 any other info I would need to look at my other post:/

I do have Windows disc it if I run it will I lose anything on laptop?!

Any ideas why it happened!!

Lastly please excuse me I'm on a tablet which I haven't used before!

#2 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:13 PM

Hello again OldGirl,

You will not lose any data doing what I suggest below. Your laptop is having issues booting because a file that is needed for that startup process has become corrupt; the rest of the data on your laptop should be unaffected.

Why it happened? We will know more once we can boot into your laptop.  :thumbup:

Please visit this website:

https://neosmart.net...ile-is-corrupt/

Navigate to the section that is titled Fix#1: Scan the Windows drive for Corruption and follow just those instructions. Please post back how that goes and if anything changes.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to help keep this forum running; see this topic for more details.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#3 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:05 AM

I don't have a Windows disc for this laptop so used my sons one, but it gave an error message, saying the version of System Recovery Options was not compatible.
So I did the command prompt instructions with F8. I did the one requested - chkdsk - no change then did the SFC scan and got the error message 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform required operation'

#4 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:53 AM

Update. After having a rummage through me drawers have found two discs which came with the laptop. Tried the one marked Windows 7 and it couldn't repair. Then tried the other marked drivers and apps but didn't get far as I don't know where this driver would be located or its name.

#5 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:13 AM

Hello OldGirl,

The file in question:

D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys

Is found on your D drive. When you ran the SFC, did you change it scan the D drive? If not, please re-run SFC and make sure the C drive is the one that is scanned.

Let me know how that goes please.

If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal...you become something else entirely. A legend, Mr. Wayne, a legend!

If I have helped you please consider donating to help keep this forum running; see this topic for more details.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#6 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:52 AM

Just repeated scan and got the same result, am i doing something wrong?
'Windows Resource Protection' could not start the repair service.

I put this in command prompt window - sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

Sorry, probably didnt make myself clear, I meant I couldn't work out where on the CD the driver was :/

Edited by OldGirl, 31 March 2015 - 12:20 PM.

#7 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:23 AM

is there anythng else I can do? I really dont need to lose the last bits of research I did. I mostly back up, but I was in a hurry, and well you know the story :(

#8 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:37 AM

Sorry for the delay OldGirl!

Go to this HP support page:

http://h30434.www3.h...ode/td-p/776097

Please follow the steps listed in the first post. It gives you instructions on how to replace the missing file. If you get stuck let me know. Hopefully this works. :)

PS: Make sure when you copy the new file that you copy it to the D drive (D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys).

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#9 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Now either you have massive faith in my tech capabilities *chuckle* or you want me to say, sod this I'll reformat!

If you would like to nanny me through this (and if you have time on this busy forum) I would appreciate it :)

Obviously the first option on the list didnt work, so Option 2: copy files.

I got as far as to open the Command Prompt!

The article says it should show 'The command prompt shell should show folder location as x:\Source, where x drive is the source installation files on Windows Vista DVD'

Mine says - x:\windows\system32>

The article then says 'Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\folder and back up following driver files ---where is this?!

Also are these instructions also for Windows 7?

Im going to do a signature for my profile - Should not be let near a laptop unless supervised...............

Edited by OldGirl, 03 April 2015 - 08:52 AM.

#10 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hey OldGirl,

Not a problem :).

OK so what they are saying to do is go to the folder within drivers that has backups. So for you the address would be:

D:\Windows\system32\drivers\folder\ACPI.sys

When you type into command prompt, does it find that location when you type it in?

Yes these instructions are for Windows 7.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#11 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

Thank you for your patience :)

Command prompt window says :- x:\windows\system32>

What exactly do I have to do to insert what is needed? How do I get rid of above or start another line so I can put in D:\windows\system32\drivers\folder\ACPI.sys instead?

#12 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:01 PM

Ok have found out how to change the x!

D:\Windows>system32\drivers\folder\ACPI.sys - the system cannot find the path specified.

(Does the symbol > in the above make any difference as I cannot get rid?)

#13 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:39 AM

Seems E is where my dvd drive is, but

E:\>Windows\system32\drivers\folder - brings up the following

volume in drive E is Samsung
volume serial number

Directory of E:\

date time <dir> Drivers
date time <dir> Software

0 files
2 dir

I have C,D,X (boot) and E(DVD drive)

#14 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:30 AM

Apologies; I was at home and had poor reception while travelling!

I would like to check something. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#15 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:32 AM

Also, I would like you to put in that Windows disc you found again (Windows 7) and type this into the command prompt:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Please let me know if you can boot into Safe Mode, and if the above instructions work.

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#16 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:25 AM

You have a life outside this forum?! Shocking!

Laptop wont boot in safe mode and I had already tried the latter and error message came up 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'

Next!

#17 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hey OldGirl,

Yep sometimes I get away from my computer :P.

Before we replace that acpi file using Command Prompt, please open up Command Prompt as you have been doing and enter these 4 commands. After you type one in, please press Enter and then continue with the next one.

Bootrec.exe

/FixMbr 

/FixBoot

/RebuildBcd

Please let me know if this fixes the boot issue. :)

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#18 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 04:53 AM

I typed in Bootrec.exe and the other commands came up automatically in a list (plus ScanOS)

with this message 'Repairs critical disk structures following commands are supported'

But when I did them seperately I got the error message (on all of them) 'Is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

#19 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:43 PM

Hey OldGirl,

I think that you might be better off posting a topic at BleepingComputer. I say this because I am unfamiliar with these errors that keep occurring, and there are staff at BC who will be more capable. I am happy to keep helping you if you wish, but I think you may get your problem sorted quicker there.

:)

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#20 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

Thank you for your patience in helping me :) I registered over there and have just posted. If you wish to close this thread, to keep things tidy I can always open another if they cannot help. Thank you again!

#21 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

The Magician

• Trusted Advisor*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

Hello OldGirl,

I am following your topic over at BleepingComputer. If it isn't successful or you want to try something else let me know. :)

unite_zpse83e3a16.gif

#22 OldGirl

OldGirl

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 03:56 AM

Ahhh my Dark Knight in shining armour, come to save me ;) I wasnt doing very well over there, but am going to try the last advice put up, so we will see how things go.
Unfortunately, before I do that I have to sort out the tablet Im using! *hysterical laughter* The God of technology, I think, has put a hex on me and now I have problems with it. I will start a new post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!