• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
    • Budfred

UPDATE on Upgrade   02/07/2017

We were somewhat delayed on getting the upgrade done, but it looks like it will now be done in the next few days or possibly even later today.   There is one change coming with the new upgrade that may affect people when they log in. There will no longer be separate Usernames and Display Names. Your Display Name will now be the only name you have for the forum and, if you used your Username to log in, you will now need to use your Display Name. It is likely that everyone who visits after the upgrade will need to log in again, so please keep this in mind.   Update again - Feb 7 - We have completed the main part of the upgrade and we are working to tweak settings for the site.  It will probably take us a while, but we will eventually settle down to the way we want it.  In the meanwhile, your posts should be secure, but the look of the forum and some functions may change over time.
    • cnm

We backup daily at 9:00 PM Pacific Time   02/13/2017

You may notice the forum being unresponsive for a few minutes around 9:00 PM PST (11:00 PM CST, 5:00 AM GMT) while we back up the database.
    • cnm

Notifications blocked by Outlook.com, Hotmail, Live, etc   02/14/2017

Our notifications are blocked by those mail servers. If you have email address at Hotmail, Hotmail.uk, etc etc then you will not get notifications and need to manually check for new replies. We recommend Gmail.   The notifications won't even be in your Spam folder - they just go down a black hole.
    • Budfred

PLEASE READ - Reversing upgrade   02/23/2017

We have found that this new upgrade is somewhat of a disaster.  We are finding lots of glitches in being able to post and administer the forum.  Additionally, there are new costs associated with the upgrade that we simply cannot afford.  As a result, we have decided to reverse course and go back to the previous version of our software.  Since this will involve restoring it from a backup, we will lose posts that have been added since January 30 or possibly even some before that.    If you started a topic during that time, we urge you to make backups of your posts and you will need to start the topics over again after the change.  You can simply paste the copies of your posts that you created at that point.    If you joined the forum this month, you will need to re-register since your membership will be lost along with the posts.  Since you have a concealed password, we cannot simply restore your membership for you.   We are going to backup as much as we can so that it will reduce inconvenience for our members.  Unfortunately we cannot back everything up since much will be incompatible with the old version of our software.  We apologize for the confusion and regret the need to do this even though it is not viable to continue with this version of the software.   We plan to begin the process tomorrow evening and, if it goes smoothly, we shouldn't be offline for very long.  However, since we have not done this before, we are not sure how smoothly it will go.  We ask your patience as we proceed.   EDIT: I have asked our hosting service to do the restore at 9 PM Central time and it looks like it will go forward at that time.  Please prepare whatever you need to prepare so that we can restore your topics when the forum is stable again.
OldGirl

laptop wont boot

22 posts in this topic

My laptop has been working fine apart from a slight 'hanging' problem which was sorted on another post.

Briefly, I decided to uninstall Avast to see if another anti virus would suit better (only, really because my partner mentioned it). Uninstalled with Revo, which I have used for a long while. Downloaded

Glarey and before installing I restarted the laptop to get rid of the last bits of Avast.

This is where I had the problem and no idea why.

Restarted and

I got - Starting windows - Windows is loading files - then the Start up repair screen.

Problem came up as. D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys is corrupt

Tried the Start up repair four times

Tried system restore - no points could be found (yet I know I made a few myself and presume automatic ones were made)

Tried last known goodconfiguration and it takes me to the Start up repair screen.

Can't do any scans etc obviously

Samsung R730 running Windows 7 any other info I would need to look at my other post:/

I do have Windows disc it if I run it will I lose anything on laptop?!

Any ideas why it happened!!

Lastly please excuse me I'm on a tablet which I haven't used before!

Hello again OldGirl,

You will not lose any data doing what I suggest below. Your laptop is having issues booting because a file that is needed for that startup process has become corrupt; the rest of the data on your laptop should be unaffected.

Why it happened? We will know more once we can boot into your laptop. :thumbup:

Please visit this website:

https://neosmart.net/wiki/boot-critical-file-is-corrupt/

Navigate to the section that is titled Fix#1: Scan the Windows drive for Corruption and follow just those instructions. Please post back how that goes and if anything changes.

I don't have a Windows disc for this laptop so used my sons one, but it gave an error message, saying the version of System Recovery Options was not compatible.

So I did the command prompt instructions with F8. I did the one requested - chkdsk - no change then did the SFC scan and got the error message 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform required operation'

Update. After having a rummage through me drawers have found two discs which came with the laptop. Tried the one marked Windows 7 and it couldn't repair. Then tried the other marked drivers and apps but didn't get far as I don't know where this driver would be located or its name.

Hello OldGirl,

The file in question:

D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys

Is found on your D drive. When you ran the SFC, did you change it scan the D drive? If not, please re-run SFC and make sure the C drive is the one that is scanned.

Let me know how that goes please.

Just repeated scan and got the same result, am i doing something wrong?

'Windows Resource Protection' could not start the repair service.

I put this in command prompt window - sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

Sorry, probably didnt make myself clear, I meant I couldn't work out where on the CD the driver was :/

Edited by OldGirl

is there anythng else I can do? I really dont need to lose the last bits of research I did. I mostly back up, but I was in a hurry, and well you know the story :(

Sorry for the delay OldGirl!

Go to this HP support page:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Windows-not-able-to-boot-in-any-mode/td-p/776097

Please follow the steps listed in the first post. It gives you instructions on how to replace the missing file. If you get stuck let me know. Hopefully this works. :)

PS: Make sure when you copy the new file that you copy it to the D drive (D:\Windows\system32\drivers\ACPI.sys).

Now either you have massive faith in my tech capabilities *chuckle* or you want me to say, sod this I'll reformat!

If you would like to nanny me through this (and if you have time on this busy forum) I would appreciate it :)

Obviously the first option on the list didnt work, so Option 2: copy files.

I got as far as to open the Command Prompt!

The article says it should show 'The command prompt shell should show folder location as x:\Source, where x drive is the source installation files on Windows Vista DVD'

Mine says - x:\windows\system32>

The article then says 'Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\folder and back up following driver files ---where is this?!

Also are these instructions also for Windows 7?

Im going to do a signature for my profile - Should not be let near a laptop unless supervised...............

Edited by OldGirl

Hey OldGirl,

Not a problem :).

OK so what they are saying to do is go to the folder within drivers that has backups. So for you the address would be:

D:\Windows\system32\drivers\folder\ACPI.sys

When you type into command prompt, does it find that location when you type it in?

Yes these instructions are for Windows 7.

Thank you for your patience :)

Command prompt window says :- x:\windows\system32>

What exactly do I have to do to insert what is needed? How do I get rid of above or start another line so I can put in D:\windows\system32\drivers\folder\ACPI.sys instead?

Ok have found out how to change the x!

D:\Windows>system32\drivers\folder\ACPI.sys - the system cannot find the path specified.

(Does the symbol > in the above make any difference as I cannot get rid?)

Seems E is where my dvd drive is, but

E:\>Windows\system32\drivers\folder - brings up the following

volume in drive E is Samsung

volume serial number

Directory of E:\

date time <dir> Drivers

date time <dir> Software

0 files

2 dir

I have C,D,X (boot) and E(DVD drive)

Apologies; I was at home and had poor reception while travelling!

I would like to check something. Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

Also, I would like you to put in that Windows disc you found again (Windows 7) and type this into the command prompt:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

Please let me know if you can boot into Safe Mode, and if the above instructions work.

You have a life outside this forum?! Shocking!

Laptop wont boot in safe mode and I had already tried the latter and error message came up 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'

Next!

Hey OldGirl,

Yep sometimes I get away from my computer :p.

Before we replace that acpi file using Command Prompt, please open up Command Prompt as you have been doing and enter these 4 commands. After you type one in, please press Enter and then continue with the next one.

Bootrec.exe

/FixMbr

/FixBoot

/RebuildBcd

Please let me know if this fixes the boot issue. :)

I typed in Bootrec.exe and the other commands came up automatically in a list (plus ScanOS)

with this message 'Repairs critical disk structures following commands are supported'

But when I did them seperately I got the error message (on all of them) 'Is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Hey OldGirl,

I think that you might be better off posting a topic at BleepingComputer. I say this because I am unfamiliar with these errors that keep occurring, and there are staff at BC who will be more capable. I am happy to keep helping you if you wish, but I think you may get your problem sorted quicker there.

:)

Thank you for your patience in helping me :) I registered over there and have just posted. If you wish to close this thread, to keep things tidy I can always open another if they cannot help. Thank you again!

Hello OldGirl,

I am following your topic over at BleepingComputer. If it isn't successful or you want to try something else let me know. :)

Ahhh my Dark Knight in shining armour, come to save me ;) I wasnt doing very well over there, but am going to try the last advice put up, so we will see how things go.

Unfortunately, before I do that I have to sort out the tablet Im using! *hysterical laughter* The God of technology, I think, has put a hex on me and now I have problems with it. I will start a new post!