Windows 10 Upgrade external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jeffh8511

jeffh8511

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 01:10 PM

Months ago, we upgraded our computer to Windows 10. Before the upgrade, we had a Seagate external hard drive that worked perfectly with Windows 8.1. Since the upgrade, the Seagate external hard drive can no longer be seen (no drive letter, no access to the data on the hard drive, etc.). This hard drive has some very precious pictures on it, so any advice protecting or backing up the files is appreciated. One thing to note is the Seagate was a MAC version external hard drive, so it was operating in compatibility mode, not NTFS.  

We would also appreciate your help mapping the Seagate hard drive on Windows 10. 

My computer is 64 bit. Windows 10 Home Edition.

Let me know if you need more information. 

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,369 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:26 PM

If you need anything on the drive immediately, the best bet is to hook it up to a Mac computer and make a copy in a Windows compatible format on a flash drive or an external hard drive formatted for Windows...  If you can wait, based on what I was able to find, Seagate said it is working on updates to their software to be compatible with Win 10 - including software that will probably work for Mac OS drives... 

Unless you plan to return to a Mac, you may want to go with taking the files that you want off of the drive then reformatting it as a Windows drive, then reloading the files as Windows files...

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 jeffh8511

jeffh8511

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:39 PM

Thank you Budfred!

I don't have access to a Mac but will try to ask around to see if I can borrow one. Appreciate your insight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!