My laptop can't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pawel694

pawel694

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 02:31 PM

Hi, I need help. I've got Sony VAIO, Windows 8. Yesterday I was playing the game when my computer crashed. I restarted it but it couldn't boot correctly. It said "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete". Computer was unable to do so and I turned it off. I've tried to boot it again and that time it said "Preparing automatic repair" then "Diagnosing computer" then "Attempting repairs" and finally I saw a blue screen saying "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC. Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt". I've tried to refresh my PC but with no results. It said something like "A problem occured while refreshing your PC. No changes have been made". I've wanted to reset my PC to factory settings and save my files in advance, but I can't see lots of important (for me) files while choosing them to save them, I can't see my pictures, music, videos and folders from desktop. I'd be grateful if you help me. Thank you in advance.

PS. It's possible I've written system messages not exactly the same as they've shown because I've translated them from my language.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

How are you able to see any files at all, if you cannot boot your computer??  Are you using some other program to access files??  Do you have a Windows disk??  Have you attempted to boot to your startup options and select "Last known good configuration"??  How old is your computer??  What you are describing may be a hard drive failure - have you been having any other strange issues??  Please provide as much detail as possible so that we know what you are working with... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 pawel694

pawel694

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 04:58 AM

I can turn my computer on but I can't get past VAIO loading screen, it redirects me to the screen where I can refresh my PC, save files, reset PC to factory settings etc. I can see files while choosing them to copy to external disk. I don't have Windows disk because I've bought my PC with Windows already installed. I've tried "Last known good configuration" but my PC can't find any. My computer is almost 3 years old. I haven't noticed any other issues, everything was fine until that crash. What's more, I have an access to command line and BIOS if it's helpful for you.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

Are you able to get to Advanced Options??

http://www.howtogeek...8-the-easy-way/

You can use the Command Prompt to explore what you have on your drives and back-up files...  However, it may be easier to download an external booting option and run it from a flash drive...  Let me know what you would prefer... 

Hard drives can sometimes fail without warning, so it is still possible that this is what is happening...  If so, it is best to avoid running the drive as much as possible until you get your files backed up...  Once it dies completely, it can cost a great deal of money to get a professional company to extract what they can...  Do you know if it is a Solid State Drive (SSD) or a conventional hard drive?? 

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 pawel694

pawel694

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:02 AM

Yes, I'm able to get to Advanced Options. However, I can't get to Safe Mode by choosing Windows Startup Settings in Advanced Options menu. As I click Windows Startup Settings - Restart the whole process of "Preparing automatic repair..." etc. repeats and eventually I see a blue screen saying "Automatic repair couldn't repair your PC. Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt" with two options to click: Close and See Advanced Repair Options.

What commands in Command Prompt should I use because I'm just off the boat? How to do a thing with downloading an external booting option?

My drive is Toshiba MQ01ABD100H

#6 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:32 AM

I have two sites which can give you some help with Command prompts...  The first is Technet from Microsoft and it is quite technical, but includes some help on using the Copy command which you can use to copy files onto a flash drive...

https://technet.micr....aspx#BKMK_OVER

The second is from BleepingComputer and is a bit more helpful in understanding Command prompts in a less technical way:

http://www.bleepingc...command-prompt/

Unfortunately, it looks like your hard drive may be failing and that means that it is hard to know if you will be able to recover your files...  I found reviews on Amazon report a high rate of failure for that drive...  It is a hybrid SSD with some conventional hard drive features that allow a larger amount of storage...  I suspect it is the SSD part of the hybrid that is still working and the conventional part may be failing or already failed...  Do as little as possible with it until you recover your files or you may effectively lose them completely...  They might still be recoverable, but only at great expense... 

Another option (the external booting option) is here:

http://www.avira.com...downloads#tools

You can use the Avira Rescue System option on that page to access your files (if they are still accessible) and copy them to a flash drive...  There are still other possibilities that you can use if these do not work...  However, please try them first since it is possible that your hard drive may not be capable of doing much more...  I would probably start with the Avira Rescue System if it was my computer...

It is very likely that you will need to replace the hard drive in this computer and I suggest going to either a well rated conventional drive or a full SSD drive...  The larger SSD drives have come down in price somewhat, so that might be an option...  Since you don't have Windows disks, you will probably need to make recovery disks if you have enough access to the drive to do so...  Here is a site that may provide some help in creating the disks - note that it may not be possible to do it without access to Windows:

http://windows.micro...-recovery-drive

Here is another site with ideas about recovering from the computer not booting...  You have already tried a number of these things and I am not sure that it will help, but it may give you more of an idea of what could work:

http://www.howtogeek...dows-wont-boot/

I have never attempted to create Windows recovery disks from a non-booting computer, so I am not sure that it can be done... 

Also, Sony has a diagnostic program which should already be installed in your computer that may be able to tell if the hard drive has failed:

https://us.en.kb.son...37665/related/1

If it doesn't seem to be there, you apparently can download a copy:

https://us.en.kb.son...C94X0NVYXhNbQ==

Here is their troubleshooting page that may help:

https://us.en.kb.son.../44356/c/65,66/

Post back with what you find out after using some of these options and provide as much detail as possible...

Budfred

#7 pawel694

pawel694

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:46 AM

I've downloaded Avira Rescue System and tried to boot my PC from USB, but as I chose language of Avira Rescue System my screen turned white and I could do nothing. I've got some diagnostic program preinstalled on my PC, I've checked every component of my computer and, what seems strange, everything (including hard disk) is fine. I don't know what's going on because when I tried to copy my files to an external disk through the preinstalled program I could see only about 200GB of files while I had about 500GB of files before my computer had crashed. So what could be wrong if hard disk is fine (that's what diagnostics said, I don't know if I can rely on it completely).

#8 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:01 AM

The installed program probably focuses on System files and will not allow complete access to your files...  It is possible that your hard drive is okay, but it is also possible that the program is reading it incorrectly and that it has failed... 

When you say that the screen turned white, did you get any warning of a problem?  Did you attempt it more than once?  What language did you choose - it is possible that English might go easier? 

It is possible that your boot is corrupted and you can use some of the options in this article to reset it: http://www.howtogeek...dows-wont-boot/

There are other programs that allow a rescue from a flash drive or other external drive, so you could use one of those if you still can't use the Avira option...  If the hard drive is still working, another option is to pull it from the laptop and hook it up to your other computer with a cable that interfaces with your drive...  The cable can be purchased for under $20 in the US...  This would allow you to access the drive like a USB drive and it wouldn't depend on Windows working in the drive...

Budfred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!