2 replies to this topic

#1 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:33 AM

I have 3 different TV viewing programs on my Win 10 computer - Plex, Windows Media Center and Total Media...  This week, they all 3 stopped working...  Windows Media Center and Total Media would still load, but would not allow live TV to be shown...  Plex Media Player would not even open...  After some searching, I found out that a Windows Update from Tuesday was causing the problem and that it works to uninstall it...  I did that and all 3 programs worked again...  I few hours later, I came back to the computer and found that they weren't working again because Windows had reinstalled the update...  I removed it again and set Windows to defer updates, but it reinstalled a few hours later anyway...  I went on to do some more research and found that there is a way to turn off Windows Updates in Win 10 which hadn't occurred to me...  If you go into Windows Services and disable to the Service for Windows Update, it doesn't work anymore...  Of course, that means that you don't get any more updates, so you would need to turn it back on to get updates when you are ready for them and it is not a good idea for the casual user to do this... 

The next part of the story is that I play a couple of games each day that are logged in through Xbox...  I attempted to play the daily challenges for one of them and simply to log into the other to claim daily additions to my score count, but neither one would work...  I decided to see if they had updates waiting in the Store since that might be what was causing the problem...  When I checked, there were a number of programs that had updates, but not these two...  However, I went ahead with the other updates and found that they wouldn't go forward without turning on Windows Update Service...  I did that and updated them...  It then occurred to me that this might be what was blocking the 2 games and I tried them before disabling the Service again...  This time they worked... 

It appears that if I want to keep everything working until MS fixes the update that caused the problem in the first place, I will need to turn that Service on and off each day...  Isn't it wonderful how MS has automated Win 10 to make it foolproof??  :techsupport: :ugh:

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#2 TheJoker

TheJoker

Forum Deity

• Boot Camp Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,373 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

If you have the Pro version of Windows 10, this may work:

http://www.pcworld.c...10-updates.html

If you have the Home version, you cannot defer upgrades. If it was a security Update, it gets installed anyway I think.

Free Tools for Fighting Malware
Anti-Virus: avast! Free Antivirus / Avira Free AntiVirus
OnLine Anti-Virus: ESET / BitDefender / F-Secure
Anti-Malware: Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware / Dr.Web CureIt
Spyware/Adware Tools: MVPS HOSTS File / SpywareBlaster
Firewall: Comodo Firewall Free / Privatefirewall
Tutorials: How did I get Infected? / Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
If we have helped, please help us continue the fight by using the Donate button, or see this topic for other ways to donate.

MS MVP 2009-20010 and ASAP Member since 2005

#3 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,368 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:31 AM

I installed Win 10 over Win 7 Ultimate, so I have the option to defer updates - it just didn't work...  However, turning Windows Update Service on and off is working for now...  I am hoping that they get the problem fixed so that I can just leave the Service on, but I am not holding my breath... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!