18 replies to this topic

#1 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:45 AM

Hi

Not sure where I should be posting this but, I have a virus on my mobile and it may have written itself to the ROM. Really can't say what or when it happened but I cannot use it at all. I've tried doing resets through the settings menu and through the interface using the power button and the volume button I've also tried through safe mode but no joy. The issue is I get continual pop ups and constant downloads so much so I can't use it for anything. Someone suggested downloading malwarebytes, but I can't even get by selecting the language in setup let alone anything else. when it's switched on it begins the set up then continually switches itself on and off. I can't even use the setup any more because of these issues. The mobile is a Lenovo k3 lemon. If anyone could help with this I'd be so grateful.

Thanks
Ali :-) 

#2 Rocket Grannie

Rocket Grannie

SWI Australian Rebel

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:07 PM

agangelus

You are already receiving help with this issue at Bleeping Computer:

https://www.bleeping...android-mobile/

Please do not ask for help at multiple forums.

a94.gif

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see here for details.

#3 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Sorry, I didn't realise i'd caused an issue, I also didn't realise they were the same forum. I'm just trying to get my mobile running again and a couple of members made suggestions I'd already tried with no joy. Also I've been a member here for a long time but I had a few technical problems trying to log in so I created an account with bleeping computers I genuinely didn't know it was the same forum.

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

It isn't the same forum - we work with them and most of the other anti-malware forums to provide as much coverage as we can...  If someone posts in multiple forums, it is not unusual for them to get conflicting suggestions which can actually make the problem worse, so we avoid it...  You don't need to worry about having "caused an issue" - it is more a matter of protecting you from confusing responses... 

As for the actual problem, I don't really know much about fixing Android, so I can't help you directly...  However, I am guessing you are close to a dealer/shop for the phone service provider and I suggest going to them if the suggestions at Bleeping don't fix it for you...  At the least, they should be able to reset it to factory defaults... 

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#5 Rocket Grannie

Rocket Grannie

SWI Australian Rebel

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,803 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

agangelus

Please close your topic at Bleeping computer.

Next:
On the computer:
Go here and disable auto run.
https://www.howtogee...-in-windows-10/

Now plug your mobile into the computer.
Open My computer and see what drive letter the mobile is under - for example drive E:
Now scan that drive with MBAM and your anti-virus.

When finished disconnect the mobile from the computer and see if you can download and run an eset scan.

If you still need more help please go here:
https://forums.lenov...he/td-p/2073159

You can use any fixes for the LENOVO K3 NOTE as the  main differences between the two mobiles is the LCD screen, processor core speed, RAM, main camera and front camera, all of that are better at LENOVO K3 NOTE.

Please do not forget to re-enable auto run.

Please let me know how you get on.

Rocket Grannie

a94.gif

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see here for details.

#6 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

Hi again,

I did what you suggested and switched off the autoplay. I connected the mobile and it recognised as the CD drive D:CDROM there was also the icon for Lenovo K30-W. So I scanned it with both malwarebytes and avast which found nothing. I disconnected it and tried to navigate in order to download eset, but as soon as there is a Wi-Fi connection you can't use the phone, it just goes crazy downloading allsorts of rubbish from game apps to shopping apps to housekeeping apps, which renders the phone completely unusable. I have also reset it numerous times through the power button and up/down button with exactly the same results when there is a connection.

I did have a look on the lenovo forum you suggested but there wasn't anything similar to the issue i am having.

Ali  :unknw:

#7 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:15 AM

A quick question: is the WiFi connection you referred to only at home or is it anywhere??  If it is only at home, it could suggest that your WiFi is the problem... 

Budfred

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#8 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

I did initially suspect this and ran a scan on my Wi-Fi connection which came back with nothing. But we have numerous devices including other android devices connected to our Wi-Fi (Windows mobiles, android tablets, an iPad, a fire stick and a couple of Windows 10 PC/laptops). I haven't actually tested it although when I put my sim back into the mobile it doesn't go crazy downloading apps as with the Wi-Fi connection, when I try to download anything it won't let me. it prompts to add a google account which is fine and when I attempt to it switches on the Wi-Fi prompting for a password before going any further. No other device appears to be affected that we are aware of.

Ali  :think:

#9 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:22 PM

Do you know anyone else who has a WiFi connection you could test??  If it will work okay on one other than yours, it would mean we need to focus on the WiFi to isolate the problem... 

Budfred

#10 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi there,

I'm going away for a few days and will have access to a number of different Wi-Fi connections, so what i'll do is take the (alleged) offensive item with me and try it out on those. I'm taking my tablet with me too, so I'll update as soon as.

I did run a scan on my firewall (Comodo) this morning with nothing suspicious being found.

Ali  :think:

Edited by agangelus, 02 April 2017 - 09:01 AM.

#11 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hi there

I've connected the mobile to a few different Wi-Fi spots and thankfully it's still doing the same things. Hopefully that rules out my Wi-Fi at home.
The mobile is completely unusable, no matter how many times I've reset it, it makes no difference. Do you think it's worthy of trying to sort it?

Ali

#12 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:46 PM

I agree - that rules out your home WiFi...  I go back to my earlier suggestion - take it to an outlet for the phone service and ask them what to do with it...  It is likely that they will have a way to more deeply reset it, use a different SIM or otherwise clear it...  Depending on the company, they probably won't charge you anything to fix it since they want clean phones on their network...

Budfred

#13 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:32 AM

Hi again,

I'll do what you suggested. Thank you for your help again. One last thing, I am currently using an old windows mobile (Lumia 925), with the sim who h isn't causing any issue. How do I go about wiping it or would it be safer to just order a new one?

Ali

#14 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

I am sorry, I am a bit confused by your question...  Do you mean that you want to wipe the Lumia 925??  Do you mean that you are using the SIM from the Lenovo phone??  If the Lumia is using the Windows operating system, it is probably easier to clean and clear, although I am not all that familiar with the version used on phones...

Budfred

#15 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:31 PM

Rocket Grannie suggested this:

Lumia 925
Master reset from settings menu

A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloaded content, ringtones, images, apps, and contacts. It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.

To perform a master reset, follow these steps:

1. Back up all data on the internal memory.
  2. From the Start screen, touch the screen and slide left.
  3. Scroll down to and tap Settings.
  4. Scroll down to and tap about.
  5. Scroll down to and tap reset your phone.
  6. Read the warning about your personal content being erased, and then tap yes.
  7. Tap yes again to confirm.

Master reset with hardware keys

A master reset restores the original factory settings and may delete your personal data on the internal storage, such as downloaded content, ringtones, images, apps, and contacts. It does not delete data stored on the SIM card or SD card.

If the device menus are frozen or unresponsive, you can master reset using hardware keys. To perform a master reset, follow these steps:

1. Back up all data on the internal memory.
  2. Turn off the phone.
  3. Press the Power key to turn the phone on, then immediately press and hold the Volume Down key.
  4. An exclamation mark ("!") will appear on the display.
  5. Press the following keys in order. Nothing will change on the screen while entering the sequence of buttons.
    • Press the Volume Up key.
    • Press the Volume Down key.
    • Press the Power key.
    • Press the Volume Down key.
  6. The phone will automatically reset.
  7. During the reset, there will be two gears rotating on the display for up to 20 minutes, after which the display will go blank for about 30 seconds.

Budfred

#16 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

I am sorry, I am a bit confused by your question...  Do you mean that you want to wipe the Lumia 925??  Do you mean that you are using the SIM from the Lenovo phone??  If the Lumia is using the Windows operating system, it is probably easier to clean and clear, although I am not all that familiar with the version used on phones...

Hi, sorry i see i made a bit of a typo in my last post. what I meant was I'm using my old phone atm with the Lenovo simm. You had suggested wiping the sim I think, but I wasn't sure how to do that. I don't really want to wipe anything off the Lumia as my son uses it now. Hopefully I am a bit clearer now lol.

Ali

#17 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:16 PM

If the SIM is working on the Lumia without the problems you had on the Lenova, it is probably safe to leave it intact...  I was just trying to come up with options that might have gotten infected... 

Budfred

#18 agangelus

agangelus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:07 AM

Hi there

Thanks for all your help, I'm just going to "bite the bullet" and get a new mobile. Sometimes you've just got to move on lol!

Ali  :good:

#19 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,386 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:25 AM

I suggest that you take the phone to the dealer, unless you already have, since they should be able to return it to like-new state...  If you choose to invest in a new phone anyway (which can be fun to have), I suggest that you set up security on it immediately so that you are less likely to encounter this kind of problem...  There are a number of free programs available for protecting your phone and most companies include some with the purchase of the phone...  If you need help with it, I suggest asking the dealership to help you set it up before you leave the store...

Budfred

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!