3 replies to this topic

#1 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 05:12 PM

I ran Rocket Grannies Security Analysis.

The log reports that:

Windows Firewall (Enabled)

No other Firewall Installed

I've always thought you can only have one firewall installed to prevent conflicts ?

Is this thought correct?

It also reports  -  Windows Defender (Disabled  - Not Up To Date)

I haven't had Windows Defender enabled for years as it constantly caused problems.

I haven't missed it since disabling it.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Whalebat

Edited by WhaleBat, 06 October 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,399 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:48 PM

I am not sure what advice you are looking for... 

It is true that it is not advisable to have more than on active firewall installed at a time - however, that doesn't mean that you can't have one active and another installed as a standby...  It also doesn't mean that there would be any value in doing that...  However, people who have installed a firewall other than Windows Firewall will usually have two firewalls installed with the Windows Firewall showing inactive...

Defender is checked in SA because it generally is installed on Windows computers and a lot of people use it as a primary anti-malware tool...  If yours is disabled it will show it that way...  Are you asking something in particular??

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

#3 WhaleBat

WhaleBat

Advanced Member

• Helper Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:03 AM

Hello Budfred

Thanks for the reply.

From a diagnosis point of view, when you run SA, what constructive information are you seeking to learn from the log with respect to

Firewalls and Windows Defender and what actions would you consider the results might prompt you to take ?

#4 Budfred

Budfred

Malware Hound

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,399 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:59 AM

SA is designed to provide the helper with information about what protections the user has on his/her computer...  That means that it is helpful to know what firewalls, antivirus programs, anti-malware programs and so on are installed...  Additionally, it is helpful to know if a number of points of vulnerability are installed and updated - such as Java...  SA is not really intended as a tool for an end user to run and analyze, although it is reasonable for some people who understand it to use it to see if their protection programs are up to date...  The actions recommended by the helper would depend on the presenting problem and the overall configuration of the computer...  If SA indicates that Defender is there, but not active, the main question becomes whether or not some other protection is active...  There are any number of possible approaches to whatever is revealed depending on the individual situation and there really isn't one simple answer to your question because of that...

Budfred

Helpful link: SpywareBlaster...

MS MVP 2006 and ASAP Member since 2004

Please read the Instructions for posting requested logs and the article "So how did I get infected in the first place?"

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!