Let me know what you think

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 happydog

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 11:04 AM

I was generally ignorant of spyware until last fall when an friend's PC was FUBAR- their kids had downloaded just about every nasty. After 2 hysterical sessions of debugging, the demons were cast out and my friends have been operating safely since. Of course, this pegged me as the local "expert" on spyware, and after trying to help out other afflicted souls(including myself), I made a web page as a guide to fellow novice spyware exterminators. Check it out if you get a chance, and please let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections:

Dealing with Spyware and Adware

#2 Freebird

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:24 PM

I think it is a very good start.

My advice would be to reorganise the page into simple sections.

Start with a simplified overview of the problem, and then move on to how to check whether their machine is infected, with a list of first-line recovery/repair software to use and what it does.

(From you site:
"Hijack This is a general homepage hijacker detector and remover."

HijackThis is actually a tool, that lists all installed browser add-on, buttons, startup items - among other things, and allows you to inspect, and optionally remove selected items. It is not presented as a dedicated spy/adware removal utility. I would categorise it as a 'diagnostic' tool. It is intended for advanced users.

I think you should include a caveat, that informs people NOT to fix anything it finds unless they are absolutely certain of what they are doing, as irreperable damage can be done with that little program, and that they should post a log at a reliable forum for analysis.)

Then a simple explanation on how to 'harden' their system by ensuring they have the appropriate updates/patches etc (with links), tweaking browser settings, installing a firewall, AV etc - and the importance of obtaining regular updates, an actually running their security programs on a regular basis.

Next, good surfing habits - not clicking OK to every pop-up they come across etc.

A list of recommended and software alternatives: OS/browser/AV etc

And finally, 'Further Reading'. Most people won't read the articles until they feel more comfortable with what they are doing and have taken the above steps....IMO.

I also like that you have included a link to information on bogus or suspect anti-spyware software.

I hope you don't feel I was trying to write your site for you, my suggestions are just that, suggestions. All the info is there, but it just seemed a little 'spread out'.

I wish you success.

Edited by Freebird, 08 July 2004 - 08:30 PM.

We know the speed of light......but, whats the speed of dark? Steven Wright - Scientist and Comedian

#3 cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 10:20 PM

You might look at similar sites :

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button