problem with icons and file actions

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 02:14 PM

well its kind of hard to explain what happened to my ocmputer. but here it is at best. basically, many icons have changed to the windows icon for files which have no default application to open it. this includes, folders, shortcuts to folders, drives, html files, and maybe a few more. also for folders, when you double click the 'open' command is not performed. instead the search command is performed. from the picture you can see that the search command is the default action for some reason. i have tried restarting my computer, using system restore, scanned my computer for viruses, but have come up empty in the solution.

this all happened when i was playing dibalo II. a frend imed me and i quickly alt+tabbed out of the d2 screen. and then suddenly the icons on my desktop and startmenu disappeared. i alt+tabbed to d2 and then bak out to try and fix it. then this time only the bottom half of the icons on my desktop were displayed. so i restarted my computer and many of the icons appeared as i have explained above. hopefully this picture helps.

P.S. sorry about the double post!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.gif

Edited by AzIaNxInFeRnO, 08 July 2004 - 02:15 PM.

#2 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:12 PM

I understand what the problem is (thanks to the picture), but I can only guess at how it happened. For now, please download the XP Exe Fix. Now unzip it and run it.

Assuming that fixes (at least one of the problems):
Try running a virus scan with your Kaspersky an/or posting a HijackThis log.

If that doesn't help at at all:
Post a reply here saying so and we can take another crack at it.
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Malware esan mala, ji mi disaman. SWI ji kikan ekster!

PM me if you know what that says. Whoever gets it right gets put here!
Bagman wins, good job!

#3 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:54 PM

nothing changed. i had already done a virus scan when this first happened. what was that file suppoes to do anyways? and was i suppose to restart my computer?

Edited by AzIaNxInFeRnO, 08 July 2004 - 03:56 PM.

#4 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 08 July 2004 - 03:58 PM

Well if you didn't notice a change right away, rebooting would've made no difference. That just tried to reset the accosiations with certian files. Just try posting a HijackThis log, perhaps we can learn something from that.
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Malware esan mala, ji mi disaman. SWI ji kikan ekster!

PM me if you know what that says. Whoever gets it right gets put here!
Bagman wins, good job!

#5 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:17 AM

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 12:16:06 PM, on 7/9/2004
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\avpcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\avpm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\avpcc.exe
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Dzu\Local Settings\Temp\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DeadAIM] rundll32.exe "C:\PROGRA~1\AIM\\DeadAIM.ocm",ExportedCheckODLs
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ad-watch] "C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-watch.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OfficeGuard RegChecker] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\ogrc.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVPCC] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro\avpcc.exe" /wait
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console (HKLM)
O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupd...8163.5059953704
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{BBF1A28F-8556-4AB0-AF59-4D7A6BD7FFED}: NameServer = 18.157.0.47 18.157.0.48

i dont really see anything in this log that seems harmful. juss for u to kno tho, the lines about kbd and ps2 are part of this driver for my keyboard. i hav it bcz wen i upgraded to xp, a lot of parts of my computer werent compatible with XP. so i had to download this driver to re-enable some functions for my keyboard.

#6 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:20 AM

bump

#7 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 03:21 AM

Windows maintains a cached copy of all the icons on the system to avoid having to reload the icons every time they are displayed. If this icon cache becomes corrupt then the wrong icons may be shown.

To clear the icons cache make sure you can view hidden files and then open your Windows directory in Explorer and delete the file called "ShellIconCache".

When you restart Windows the icon cache file will be automatically recreated.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#8 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:29 PM

i cant seem to find this file, you say its in C:\Windows right? well i hav hidden files as visible but still dont see that file. is it in another folder within windows?

#9 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:39 PM

whoa....this is weird. for some reason the icons came back after i ran diablo II... but...the default file action for a file fodler is still 'search' instead of 'open'. refer to the picture above to understand.

#10 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:30 PM

..the default file action for a file fodler is still 'search' instead of 'open'. 

I thought I would take a look at file types to see what might cause this and now have the same thing happening. Good thing I found the fix.

This is what caused it for me. Don't try it unless you are ready to also do the fix.

I opened windows explorer > tools >folder options > file types
highlighted file folder, clicked advanced, looked at the options but did not change anything. After that every folder I clicked started search.

This simple action removes a value in the registry. Open regedit to add it back.
Locate this key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
In the right pane, right click (default) and choose modify
type the value none and click ok
close regedit.
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

#11 AzIaNxInFeRnO

AzIaNxInFeRnO

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:53 PM

wow, worked like a charm. thx a lot, and thx everyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button