• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
co_ol

Firewall rules

5 posts in this topic

Hi

I'm going thru a great learning curve in understanding how firewalls work. I believe that I have captured the basics. I would like to tighten the security on my firewall (currently using Kerio 4 but would like to use 2.15)

I still have some problems with some basic applications. The way I try to tighten the rules is to ask first and then set an advanced filter rule. However in the example of outlook 2003 once I went thru a successful startup of outlook and had set all filter rules it worked well. It only needed access for port 110 and 80 to the internet and another half a dozen ports (1800- 1850) in the trusted area.

Would the statement be correctly that the trusted area is your local area network only???

Now everytime I restart outlook it will ask me to open new ports that where previously blocked, I ended up with an etxra 10 or more ports and finally gave up to allow full access.

This also applies to some other applications.

Looks like I still need soome serious help. Can anybody shed some light on this issue I have.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Oliver

Hi

However in the example of outlook 2003 once I went thru a successful startup of outlook and had set all filter rules it worked well. It only needed access for port 110 and 80 to the internet

BAd idea. Allowing remote outbound to port 80 for any email client. It leaves you vulnerable to web bugs.

Many programs out there use varying ports every time they start out. This is partially for security and compatability reasons. If you can find out the port range the program uses, you can allow that entire range, and not have to worry about changing it again. If its a random port, then there is not much you can do, other than try to configure the port manually. Port requirements can be found on the manufacturer's website, generally in the FAQs or Support sections. Good luck.

Of course, some people might say that using Outlook is like painting a big red target on your forehead, but that's only becuase it's so popular!