• Announcements

• Budfred

IE 11 copy/paste problem

It has come to our attention that people using Internet Explorer 11 (IE 11) are having trouble with copy/paste to the forum. If you encounter this problem, using a different browser like Firefox or Chrome seems to get around the problem. We do not know what the problem is, but it seems to be specific to IE 11 and we are hopeful that Microsoft will eventually fix it.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
banality

Does AdAware plant spyware?

6 posts in this topic

I was working through a problem with Gateway tech support a couple of days ago, and when I mentioned that I had recently run AdAware, he told me that it planted spyware. I expressed suprise, but he would not give me more details.

Out of curiousity, I tried to run a search on Google to see if AdAware was suspected of tracking people or infecting PCs. Unfortunately all the search terms I could think of just brought up reviews of AdAware as it was utilized for its proper tasks.

The Gateway technician sounded pretty confident, and he said he used to work in some sort of area of adware expertise. It was nice of him to even mention it since I think just the mention of the word AdAware will trigger an instant transfer to Gateway's pay-by-the-minute spyware support. On the other hand, this guy did not come close to fixing my problem, so maybe he's just a good bluffer.

But I'm curious about the AdAware claim, since there's always a catch or three with freeware. Please let me know if anyone has ever heard of AdAware installing their own spyware.

Well, I've had AdAware on my PC for ages, it never installed anything.

There is, however, a program called ada-ware, which does.

I think.

Also had AdAware for a long time and it's never done anything other than what it's

supposed to.

Sounds to me more like tech guy was trying to put you off it in order to get you to

buy their product/use their services.

I also think there are programs out there with similar names that are less benign,

will search when I have time.

I don't think there was any confusion on what we were talking about: I pointed out AdAware's reputation and tried to get him to tell me more.

It is possible he was trying to get me off the line. He claimed he had worked for Microsoft at one point, which struck me as trying to shore up his authority. At the same time, he did not seem like an experienced call center tech support person. He jumped to the conclusion that it wasn't his problem after just asking me a few questions (and not the right ones). He also wasn't very diplomatic about the way he said it wasn't his responsibility to help me.