Does AdAware plant spyware?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 banality

banality

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 03:31 AM

I was working through a problem with Gateway tech support a couple of days ago, and when I mentioned that I had recently run AdAware, he told me that it planted spyware. I expressed suprise, but he would not give me more details.

Out of curiousity, I tried to run a search on Google to see if AdAware was suspected of tracking people or infecting PCs. Unfortunately all the search terms I could think of just brought up reviews of AdAware as it was utilized for its proper tasks.

The Gateway technician sounded pretty confident, and he said he used to work in some sort of area of adware expertise. It was nice of him to even mention it since I think just the mention of the word AdAware will trigger an instant transfer to Gateway's pay-by-the-minute spyware support. On the other hand, this guy did not come close to fixing my problem, so maybe he's just a good bluffer.

But I'm curious about the AdAware claim, since there's always a catch or three with freeware. Please let me know if anyone has ever heard of AdAware installing their own spyware.

#2 Queeg

Queeg

Drunk

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:50 AM

Well, I've had AdAware on my PC for ages, it never installed anything.

There is, however, a program called ada-ware, which does.

I think.

#3 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:57 AM

Also had AdAware for a long time and it's never done anything other than what it's
supposed to.
Sounds to me more like tech guy was trying to put you off it in order to get you to
buy their product/use their services.
I also think there are programs out there with similar names that are less benign,
will search when I have time.
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#4 brownda7

brownda7

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 06:15 AM

NO!

Maybe confusing with ADA-WARE which does install spyware.

#5 banality

banality

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:32 PM

I don't think there was any confusion on what we were talking about: I pointed out AdAware's reputation and tried to get him to tell me more.

It is possible he was trying to get me off the line. He claimed he had worked for Microsoft at one point, which struck me as trying to shore up his authority. At the same time, he did not seem like an experienced call center tech support person. He jumped to the conclusion that it wasn't his problem after just asking me a few questions (and not the right ones). He also wasn't very diplomatic about the way he said it wasn't his responsibility to help me.

#6 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:17 PM

This confusion was also discussed in this topic
http://www.spywarein...showtopic=11445
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users