How to updating the file of CWShredder?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Monoboshi Dan_*

Guest_Monoboshi Dan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:06 PM

Hi Everyone in Forum,

I am looking for the update file of CWShredder.

How can i get this when i push the botton to update .

it prompts that server is not available.

Please let me know how to get that. Help !!

Thousand thanks to you !!

#2 cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:13 PM

Just download the latest copy.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here

#3 Guest_Monoboshi Dan_*

Guest_Monoboshi Dan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:05 AM

Hi Cnm,

Thanks , Just too easy to do so !!

#4 toasty58

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:58 AM

Dear cnm:

Sorry, I'm new at this so if I've put it in the wrong form, I apologize...

I'm not offering a suggestion on updating CWShredder..... but (1) that I have the latest version OF same (CWS) and have had the same problem for about a week & a half. If I CAN connect to the server, the Update seems to go well till the very end when it won't seem to complete; but instead CWShredder disappears from my screen. I hit the desktop icon again -- repeat the process (several times) and the whole process just repeats, again!

(2) Would Patrick M. Kolla's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller (v1/v2) Mini Removal" (listed on Major Geek's site in the same download area as "CWShredder") be of any help here?? I don't see this Mini Removal mentioned on the Forum anywhere tho it's still available at MG???

Thanks & regards -- member Toasty58

#5 Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:56 AM

The swi site is a frequent target of DDoS attack. Occasionally they slow it down enough that timeouts happen. Shredder won't be updated beyond it's current version anyway. Merijn has dropped the project.

The Spybot tool is only for one particular variant of CWS (as far as I know). It's a version that closes any window with Spybot in the title.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#6 Guest_JackG_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:51 PM

If you have problems with downloading or updating CWShredder, one of the nice things about it, is that it is small enough to fit on to a diskette. You can always go to a different system and download it and copy it to a diskette. Then write protect it and run it on the system that is having problems directly from the diskette.

I keep a copy of CWShredder.exe, Hijack This, Kill2ME.exe and the latest version of Stinger.exe all on a single diskette. This allows me to boot a system into Safe Mode and run these programs where they can remove problems with ease. I also keep these along with Adaware v6 intall program and latest reflist.ref, SpyBot S&D v1.3 install programs and latest SpyBot_includes.exe, along with the current update reference files for a few Anti-Virus scan programs, all on a CD which I update ever weekend. I can use this CD to run CWShredder and Stinger first, then install and update Adaware and SpyBot S&D, all OffLine so the Internet does not cause problems.

Hopefully, Merijn will do some updates to CWShredder, if people keep asking for them. It (and he) was just too good at what it was designed to do to just give up completly. Maybe he could find time to change it for the easy fixes, and just identify the other threats that he can not remove. With a problem like CoolWebSearch, the most important thing is to identify what it is and were it is. With that knowledge it will get fixed.

I have had some limited contacts with one student who is looking into working on a more advanced program that will go after the more difficult DLL based CWS hijackers. Only time will tell if he or someone else picks up the ball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button