Help I don't know about spyware/adware/hijacking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Greg Johnson_*

Guest_Greg Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:26 AM

Hi,

I go online for very few things. I generally only go to espn or hotmail but occassionally look up topics on google that lead me to news related sites (e.g. cnn or foxnews). I don't use AIM but my niece does.

For the past few months I have ads that will pop-up on my computer even when I don't have Internet Explorer open. I downloaded ad-aware from lavasoft and ran the program which seemed to quarantine a lot of stuff. This seems to correct the problem for a short amount of time but it always seems to come back.

I have read the information on this website and my homepage has never changed so I don't think my computer has been hijacked as it has been described here but I could be wrong.

How can I correct this problem once and for all or is that impossible?

If you need more information from my computer please let me know and I will provide it.

Thank you.

Greg Johnson

#2 Guest_Greg Johnson_*

Guest_Greg Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:28 AM

I don't know if what I am asking for is truly spyware help so I am sorry if I am posting to the incorrect forum.

Greg Johnson

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 07:49 AM

We need a closer look at what's happening.
Please download Hijack this
Copy it into its own folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, do Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 12:00 PM

But you need to register. Your log should go in the Malware Removal or PC Troubleshooting forum.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button