Internet Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 cookie_c73

cookie_c73

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:03 AM

Hey - I'm new to these forums so hi everyone!
I recently got broadband (about 3 weeks ago) and I am having trouble accessing some sites. I had a lot of malware on my computer, and I have since scanned with ad-aware,cwshredder, and spybot search and destroy, and have cleaned up everything they have found. I realised I needed these when my homepage was continually changed to open up a pop-up and pass thorugh a site before loading. This is fixed by using the programs listed above. However when I try to access some sites (not that major, but I could access them before broadband) such as www.xbox-scene.com don't load and I get a page come up that says page can not be loaded up the top, with a click here to retry button below. Below this message however is a site of links to computer games, sports, adult sites etc. (all stuff I don't want) and the address bar links to somewhere i can't find through my computer (C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\Bolt gpl nurb.htm#). How can I get rid of this annoying problem that stops me accessing sites?

Anyway thats my first question (might be nothing I don't know but it's annoying). I use IE btw. (please don't suggest changing it as it isn't going to happen) A problem I have is that all the IE windows crash for no apparent reason, randomly. This happened 3 times as I tried to open hotmail to verify this forum account. Is there a way to fix this?

I'm also sure that I still have malware on my computer. What else can I do to check this? And also, I am using Norton antivirus to protect my computer and sygate personal firewall pro as the firewall. Should I use anything else (my broadband is 256kbps) or is there any settings I should set on the firewall?

I think that's basically it, and any assistance you can give to a person who doesn't know too much about these sorts of problems (ie me)would be greatly appreciated.

#2 cookie_c73

cookie_c73

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 06:18 PM

Please can anyone help me?

#3 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 01:52 PM

Hi,
I can speak from experience regarding your situation...If your computer had two spyware items called Newdotnet and Commonname, and removed by spyware scan's, there's a possibility your Winsock32.dll file that is part of your Internet Connection was damaged or corrupted (do not get this confused with WSOCK32).

At the top or at the bottom of the Internet page does it say "can not find server" ?
but everything else appears to work on your computer ? It's a good chance this is your problem because I had to do this repair on two computers as a result of spyware removal.

Since I do not recall if you mentioned what operating system you have, I will suggest one for Windows 95/98/Me: go to www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.html
and read up on it. The other one is for Windows Xp and I do not have that available for you right now that may help you depending on which one you need.

Scope it out and keep us posted...

#4 cookie_c73

cookie_c73

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:19 AM

Hey - havn't checked this out lately - because of the late response. Can't really answer anything to the previous post - because it honestly makes not much sense to me. I believe that I have a lop though. I dunno how to get rid of it - but I am trying to. I guess I should do a hijack this! log and post it - but I need time to do that - and I don't have much time, so maybe I will do one later. Thanks for all the help though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button