24 replies to this topic

#1 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 02:25 PM

Now, I'm not sure who amongst you use AOL. Personally I only use it to check my secondary e-mail account when I'm using my dad's laptop. But I was on it today and I saw a link to their spyware protection thing, didnt both, but then message boards caught my eye. I clicked it.

It's mostly just a bunch of people compaining to eachother, none offering any help beyond "well have you run aols spyware protection yet?" I've tried sending a few of them here; so I guess we'll see how it works out. Cause AOL message boards are horribly set up anyway (i dunno how many of you have seen them).

If you've got AOL go and check out the neighbors: Computing Communities Message Boards -> AV & Safety -> Windows PC Virus Protection -> Adware/Spyware
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Malware esan mala, ji mi disaman. SWI ji kikan ekster!

PM me if you know what that says. Whoever gets it right gets put here!
Bagman wins, good job!

#2 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

AOL practically is spyware, and it sneak-installs Viewpoint and WildTangent stuff.

Its spyware scanner is most likely programmed to ignore those, thus making it flawed.

Trust SS&D and Ad-Aware. Those are safe and have a wonderful reputation.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#3 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:04 PM

Funny you should mention that, I wanted to test it out so I tossed it onto my dads laptop (which I run a pretty tight ship on) and it found 3 instanes of 2020search...yeah, right!...must be f/ps heaven there.

I was looking at someone's post on the AOL boad as I was kindly directing people here and someone asked (but phrased it in a very ironic way) "Is AOL's spyware free? If so, where can I get it?" One would, well i was gonna say hope, that he was talking about the "spyware prevention" program
Quote from Original CWS Article at SWI: "There could be other domains involved in the future." ... We've come a long way since then

Bagman wins, good job!

#4 Bladeoz

Bladeoz

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:16 PM

lol... AOL :)
Just watch'in a bad dream I never wake up from

#5 TruthisthatAAOT

TruthisthatAAOT

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:17 AM

Yes ive been to the spyware boards, use to post there actully...

As far as AOL itself, great software with lots of features, worth it if you are paying BYOA, as far as all the extra things it adds though, requires some time cleaning up after an install lol...

#6 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 04:32 AM

hmmmm my AOL 9.0SE comes with the AOL SPyware Proctection....havent been able to find the support board for it yet. When asking AOL support they said theres no forums for ASP. Can somebody give me a link for the support forums for AOL Spyware Proctection program? Thanks

#7 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:39 PM

http://boards.aol.co...?boardId=529299 should bring you where you want to go, Jrshaw62.

Bagman wins, good job!

#8 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 04:55 PM

That board was sad.....I use AOL..I know that they were going to make a deal with PestPatrol...so when SE came out I called them to ask...they said no, it was made just for them...who knows.
I tried it, at about 5 min in it found 4 items I knew it was wrong..stopped scan & turned it off from startup (it looks for updates everytime you sign in). From what I have read on that board..it sounds like PP was still involed....lol

#9 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 05:04 PM

yeah, but i find there are fewer false positives in general on ASP than PP..at least on my sister's and my aunts computers, but the boar itself just irritates me.

For those of you that cannot see the AOL board and want an idea about what it's like:
Imagine if 19/20ths of the people on this board weren't even as smart as me, and that this board had a horrible, horrible, horrible interface then you get the idea. Oh, and we can't forget the constantly confused words/terms and the aptly named AOL-speak.

Bagman wins, good job!

#10 Untouchable J

Untouchable J

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:04 AM

Yea...I found the board on my AOL and its some sh*t...then-again AOL Spyware Proctection is some sh*t :D . What it found for me are basically alot of false positives....when i would use ASP to delete it some of my Spyblaster and Spybot proctection would be disabled. I heard that ASP is really based on Aluria's Spyware removal program. I dont know if thats true...but if it is..it would tell your something about the proctection

Thanks for the link and info though :thumbsup:

#11 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 08:28 AM

Even if that's true, why base your protection on just one program?

Heck, here at my office, I protect my Win2K servers and my laptop with the following, just to ensure safety:

- Spybot
- Ad-Aware

In terms of antivirus software:

- Norton Corporate
- McAfee
- AVG on my laptop, as it's a personal machine
- Panda

I can guarantee you this - nothing gets on that server unless I put it there.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#12 realwicked

realwicked

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 06:53 PM

Those AOL members are really a bunch of dumb people. There were a couple funny posts on there. Someone was saying they got hacked by IP 127.0.0
I was cracking up at some of the replies from Patriot Claws and TxABT giving them a bunch of crap about how stupid they were. :rofl:

#13 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 08:50 PM

lol ... now, now, lets not be haters. We all started somewhere.

Bagman wins, good job!

#14 Bermy123

Bermy123

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:04 PM

I'm so glad I got banned from aol back in 2002, best thing that ever happened to my computer :p

Bermy :techsupport:

#15 this is a disgrace

this is a disgrace

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:12 PM

[quote name='realwicked' date='Jun 21 2004, 06:53 PM']Those AOL members are really a bunch of dumb people.  There were a couple funny posts on there.  Someone was saying they got hacked by IP 127.0.0
I was cracking up at some of the replies from Patriot Claws and TxABT giving them a bunch of crap about how stupid they were. :rofl:[/quote]
[QUOTE]
wow realwicked you were cracking up?
and then after you posted here you ran back to the "useless" aol boards and posted this thread there so you could brag and giggle about it like 7 year old girls.
which one are you TxABT or Patriot Claws?
i have never seen a forum used for such a purpose before.
so i post this to let the mods know what realwicked is doing.
i don't know what else to say.

#16 realwicked

realwicked

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:20 PM

I'm so glad I got banned from aol back in 2002, best thing that ever happened to my computer :p

Bermy :techsupport:

:techsupport: I got banned too for t0rlling. The whole NOTB board was shut down and most of us got terminated.

#17 realwicked

realwicked

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:22 PM

[quote name='this is a disgrace' date='Jun 21 2004, 08:12 PM'] [quote name='realwicked' date='Jun 21 2004, 06:53 PM']Those AOL members are really a bunch of dumb people.  There were a couple funny posts on there.  Someone was saying they got hacked by IP 127.0.0
I was cracking up at some of the replies from Patriot Claws and TxABT giving them a bunch of crap about how stupid they were. :rofl:[/quote]
[QUOTE]
wow realwicked you were cracking up?
and then after you posted here you ran back to the "useless" aol boards and posted this thread there so you could brag and giggle about it like 7 year old girls.
which one are you TxABT or Patriot Claws?
i have never seen a forum used for such a purpose before.
so i post this to let the mods know what realwicked is doing.
i don't know what else to say. [/quote]
It is funny as hell. If you don't have a clue to what host 127.0.0 even is then you are too stupid to even own a computer.

#18 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

realwicked, just chill out, dude. You don't need to know localhost to own a computer. Sure, it's funny for us knowledgable people but that doesn't give you the right to insult them.

Bagman wins, good job!

#19 realwicked

realwicked

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:41 PM

realwicked, just chill out, dude. You don't need to know localhost to own a computer. Sure, it's funny for us knowledgable people but that doesn't give you the right to insult them.

You really need to read there. The guy is whining that 127.0.0 is sending trojans to his computer. When you explain to them that it is a local host they tell us we are full of crap.

#20 DeleterFX

DeleterFX

Warrior Against Spyware

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 01:49 PM

It's still no reason to chew them out. We were all newbs once, I haven't been one for YEARS (Started way back on the Early Commodores, Amigas, etc) But blatently cracking on someone who is just learning isn't something you should do.

If they're still on AOL you know they're not computer savvy :D. It just makes you look immature when you make fun of people for not knowing about something that you know all about :whistle: .

I'm sure some of them could whallop you in knowledge of a different sort, I dunno what that would be but Im sure their expertise lies elsewhere other than computers...Bottom Line: Be respectful, teach don't criticize (lest it be constructive)

#21 this is a disgrace

this is a disgrace

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 04:49 PM

When you explain to them that it is a local host they tell us we are full of crap.

i see you are not denying you are either Patriot Claws or TxAPBT.
which one are you?
i hope the members here know this goes beyond one local host question.
it is constant mocking and derision.
people come to a board (whether it is aol or here or any other forum)seeking knowledge or help.you just give wise ass answers.
if you don't want to help then stay off the aol board.

#22 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 05:23 PM

I agree we were all ignorant once.

Now, cool it, or this thread will be locked
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#23 Gwyrox732

Gwyrox732

Gwy|is|here

• Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:00 PM

Being the original author of this thread may I request it be locked and/or deleted? Because it's pretty obvious that either people will stop posting to this thread as they will not be able to chill or things will just get out of hand and it will be locked anyway.

Bagman wins, good job!

#24 lion7718

lion7718

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

Everbody was a newb sometime...we all have to learn...as for AOL..I have used 4 different ISP in my lifetime...I always go back to AOL..I just happen to like it

#25 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 02:52 PM

Closed at Gwyrox732's request.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button