Weatherbug earns ETrust approval

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 keith2468

keith2468

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:12 PM

Weatherbug has earned ETrust approval, but is still showing up as a false positive the online scan at SpywareInfo.

http://www.broadband...e55c51/Hmmm.JPG

http://www.weatherbu...notSpyware.html

https://www.truste.o....weatherbug.com

More on the discussion here:
http://www.broadband...e=flat#10730032

#2 Mike

Mike

Dark Lord of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:47 PM

An eTrust seal is meaningless. All it means is that they have a privacy policy, not that the privacy policy is an acceptable one.

Weatherbug bundles other software, some of which is adware, spyware or foistware. I believe some versions of the program itself are adware. I'm not sure about the current version.

For questions or comments about the online spyware scanner, you will need to contact X-Block directly. All decisions about what is and what is not detected is up to them.
SpywareInfo: How are you gentlemen?? All your base are belong to us!!
Spyware: What you say!!
SpywareInfo: You have no chance to survive. Make your time!

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:49 AM

I hear this bug is in an IM upgrade,can I upgrade without installing it?

#4 keith2468

keith2468

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:50 PM

That maybe, and maybe they tricked PestPatrol, WebWasher, Spybot S&D and Ad-aware into removing them from their lists. ;)

Anyway, I've opened a ticket with x-block, at least I think I have. I'm not a customer, but their system seemed to take it.

They don't even have a ticket catagory for false positives or false alarms.

Speaking as an IT professional myself, not in the ad or anti-ad sector, it is embarrassing and it gives the IT security industry a bad image when IT companies make judgements and don't have a proper procedure for handling new information and correcting mistakes.

Hopefully I'll get a quick response from X-Block though.

Thanks.

- Keith

#5 DonP

DonP

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

You have a choice when upgrading AIM for weather bug. If you "accidently" select to install it, it can be removed with "add-remove" programs and Spysweeper.

I got rid of it since I don't need any more POP-UPS!

DonP

#6 Island Boy

Island Boy

Hail to the Redskins

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 12:07 PM

So I have Weather bug should I just go ahead and get rid of it???

#7 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:42 PM

For a completely spyware free weather application similar to Weatherbug, try "WeatherWatcher."
http://www.singerscreations.com/

It uses Weather.com data without ads, spyware or registrations. It is completely free but donations are welcomed by the developer.

Posted Image

Edited by wreck, 28 July 2004 - 04:43 PM.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#8 Seventeen

Seventeen

Ad hater

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:12 AM

For a completely spyware free weather application similar to Weatherbug, try "WeatherWatcher."
http://www.singerscreations.com/

It uses Weather.com data without ads, spyware or registrations. It is completely free but donations are welcomed by the developer.

Posted Image

I installed both Weather Watcher and AIM, I chose not to install Weather Bug, but I still found it on my computer, so which one of these is legit? I don't trust either one of them, I don't know of anything or any adserver that doesn't track it's users, after all, a targeted ad is going to generate more revenue then a non-targeted one.

#9 malwarehater

malwarehater

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 01:25 AM

That maybe, and maybe they tricked PestPatrol, WebWasher, Spybot S&D and Ad-aware into removing them from their lists. ;)

Anyway, I've opened a ticket with x-block, at least I think I have. I'm not a customer, but their system seemed to take it.

Speaking as an IT professional myself, not in the ad or anti-ad sector, it is embarrassing and it gives the IT security industry a bad image when IT companies make judgements and don't have a proper procedure for handling new information and correcting mistakes.

Hopefully I'll get a quick response from X-Block though.

Thanks.

- Keith

they havent tricked pest patrol

#10 Xblock

Xblock

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:04 AM

Seems like the (most) pestpatrol references are taken out of the database, but the google cache still shows them.

Also, weatherbug also lists PP as a recommended tool.

#11 Xblock

Xblock

• Developer
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:07 AM

We have received an email from weatherbug directly on this too and are investigating it.

In regards to false positives, we regard it as a "bug" and route it internally to the correct person to handle it.

But it might be a good idea to create a seperate category for this.

#12 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2004 - 07:18 PM

Seems like the (most) pestpatrol references are taken out of the database, but the google cache still shows them.

Also, weatherbug also lists PP as a recommended tool.

then how come pestscan catches weatherbug?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button