I have a virus, how do I remove it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 pabdouch

pabdouch

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:47 PM

Stinger identified w32/sdbot.worm.gen.i virus, but said it was unable to clean it. I deleted the file it identified as containing the virus, but that didn't do any good. Is there any way to correct all the problems it has caused (such as popups, disabling my ability to make certain changes, etc.)?

#2 matt4

matt4

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 02:04 PM

it has probably already intalled itself into your windows registry. Look for a manual deletion or removal tool at your antivirus manufacturer's home page. You can also try mcafee or norton's home page.

#3 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:07 PM

Also try an on line scan at either Housecall or Panda A/V.

If you still have problems after that, please download Hijack this
Copy it into its own folder, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
Press that, save the log, do Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 pabdouch

pabdouch

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

housecall didn't find anything, even though I know that I have a virus. Perhaps because I had deleted the file that Macaffee had found the virus in.

#5 PGPhantom

PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:54 AM

It has been a pleasure to help you :)

The problems here look to be resolved or the "Helper" has requested that the thread be closed, so I will close it. If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending the moderating team an email with the address of the thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button