• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 NeonWizard

NeonWizard

Security Geek

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:18 PM

Microsoft said Monday that the long-awaited update of Windows XP will be sent to manufacturing in August, a month later than expected. The product should be in customers' hands later that month.

Windows XP Service Pack 2, or SP2, will contain a number of new features. Most of the improvements deal with security. One new feature, for example, is a Security Center that provides a view of a PC's key protection settings. An improved firewall and other tweaks are also planned.

This is the second time that Microsoft has delayed SP2, which was originally expected in June. Earlier this year, Microsoft said that the update would be delayed until July.

The company gave no reasons for new delay. Last month, a number of Windows enthusiast Web sites reported that Microsoft had run into compatibility problems between SP2 and other software.

Read Article

#2 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 06:30 PM

FYI...

WinXP SP2 to be distributed on one million CDs
- http://hardware.sili...4645t-40000003c
July 12, 2004
"...Microsoft's primary distribution channel will be over the internet but the company will be targeting dial-up users by offering to send a copy of SP2 in the post on a CD, free of charge. Additionally, the company has cut deals with numerous computer magazines to distribute the update on their cover CDs...SP2 will only become available once Microsoft has finished work on a new version of its Windows Update tool. Windows Update 5.0 will include a "Checkpoint Restart" feature, which allows users to resume a download if their internet connection is interrupted mid-download..."

- http://www.infoworld...psp2gold_1.html
July 12, 2004
"...Microsoft has called Windows XP SP2 a service pack, analysts have said that the update really is more comparable to a Windows upgrade. SP2 contains bug fixes and updates, but it also offers new features and makes significant changes to the Windows software in four main areas: network protection, memory protection, e-mail security and browsing security. The service pack will be a significant download...Microsoft has warned that Windows XP SP2 could break existing applications because of the changes that are made. The company has called on all developers and technology professionals to test the service pack."

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#3 Bermy123

Bermy123

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:42 PM

Ok, stupid question time. I use XP, would SP2 be distributed FREE through Windows Update or I read about Disc's, will they mail a disc to all XP users? Or is this going to be something else for us to go out and buy at a store? Sounds like i'm reading a little of both above...

Bermy :techsupport:

Edited by Bermy123, 13 July 2004 - 07:43 PM.

#4 jephree

jephree

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:01 PM

as i understand it, the cd is offered as an alternative to the huge download.

even with DSL sp1 took a dedicated 1/2 hour to download & sp2 is supposed to be massive.

the only "charging" issue i've heard of is whether or not the download will be limited to legitimate copies of xp. or free to pirates as well.

#5 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 10:04 PM

...will they mail a disc to all XP users?

Er, probably same kind of thing they have here (Free Security CD): :deal:
- http://www.microsoft...ct/cd/order.asp

...but you'll probably have to sign up for it, but you'll (probably) have to wait 4-6 weeks. 'Educated guess - they won't do it without the user sign up. Or, if you "can't wait", go buy a mag with the CD in it (?).

......... Use your own.

#6 Psykel

Psykel

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:56 AM

I work for microsoft, and while I can't say much, I can confirm that the download will take a estimated twice as long as full SP1, I can't remember exactly right now, will get it later, but i believe your going to be looking at about a half a gig. As for the CD thing, we will be doing that, but the wait time is projected to 7-10 buisness days upon release for the first few weeks... I will know more exact details later, I train on it next week... I have played with it though, in fact the computer I am one right now has it....

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
Scan saved at 12:56:08 AM, on 7/14/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2, v.2149 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2149)

and it is pretty good so far...

#7 New Raider

New Raider

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:08 PM

Microsoft Opens Can Of Worries Again

#8 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,562 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:28 PM

Similar "can of worms" gets opened every month - get used to it.

:whistle:

......... Use your own.

#9 NeonWizard

NeonWizard

Security Geek

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

The only time I'd be worried is when Microsoft knows about the vulnerability, but takes too much time to patch it. If you applied the patch, you are secure, even if someone does come up with an exploit.

#10 NeonWizard

NeonWizard

Security Geek

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

Psykel: Are we going to get announced a couple of days before they release the service pack?

#11 B@ckdoor

B@ckdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:40 AM

Psykel,

"Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
Scan saved at 12:56:08 AM, on 7/14/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2, v.2149 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2149)"

If that's SP2 then I'm John Lennon...

I have the same start of the HjT log file as you have but I'm running SP2 RC2 ver 2149

and yes, it really is pretty good so far... no BSOD yet but to be honest I've not stressed it.
Only thing on that box is XP, Office, McAfee, Spywareblaster and SpywareGuard. Std box, an old Dell Latitude.

http://www.microsoft...n/sp2predl.mspx

264 MB download... Dial-up (56 Kbps): 11 hours 30 minutes, have fun!!!

Forget System Restore, it won't get you back, just say yes to backup (370 MB in my case) and then roll back from Add/Remove programs. There are rumors around that it works... All versions of Release Candidates must be uninstalled before you can update with the final SP2.

Don't bother with the RC, the real thing will hit you within 3 weeks :techsupport:

Use that time to find out the pros and cons:

Release Notes for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft...y/relsprc2.mspx

"Recovery Console must be installed before you install SP2. If you have already installed SP2, you cannot install Recovery Console on your computer."

"If you are running Norton Antivirus, be sure to update it before you install SP2. If you install SP2 on a computer running Norton Antivirus version 10.0.0.109, the installation appears to fail twice, but continues and can take more than five hours to complete. To ensure that SP2 installs successfully, update Norton Antivirus to version 10.0.13.3 or later."

many more funny things on that page...

Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (8 pages)
http://www.microsoft...n/sp2chngs.mspx

B@ckdoor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button