Overture purchases Webroot?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shalafi

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:00 AM

The company that produces both "coolwebsearch" and "180solutions" seen mostly as "webrebates" was rumored to have purchased webroot, the company that develops "spysweeper" one of the best spyware solutions out there.. can anyone substantiate this? I haven't been able to find any information proving or denying it.

#2 New Raider

New Raider

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 03:44 PM

Interesting theory.
Where did you read about this, or was it by word of mouth?

#3 shalafi

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:57 PM

It was internal company information where I work at BestBuy, news between techs on a company wide forum.. basicly word of mouth.

#4 Maorza

New Soldier

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:01 AM

Yahoo! to Buy Overture

By Brian Morrissey| July 14, 2003

Yahoo! (Quote, Chart) on Monday morning shook up the booming search industry with plan to acquire Overture Services (Quote, Chart) in a stock and cash deal worth $1.6 billion.

Under terms of the deal, Overture shareholders will receive .61 shares of Yahoo! stock and $4.75 in cash for each share they own, making the purchase price around $1.6 billion. Overture will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Yahoo!. The transaction is expected to close in the fourth quarter.

Don't know if this is the same overture or not.

#5 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:29 AM

Shalafi, I was a tech at #216, and while the word of mouth was fairly reliable there, I wouldn't believe it in this case. Which forum was it? The one on the machines that can access STAR and the Employee Toolkit? The one that constantly mentions using Ad-Aware on customer machines during tuneups and everyone doing it unofficially even though it will break user software (KMD and other installed crapware) and generate complaints?

I seriously doubt that Webroot would sell to Overture.

Edited by Tuxedo Jack, 16 July 2004 - 09:30 AM.

Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#6 Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:48 AM

Money talks.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button