Five critical updates for Windows

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NortyFiner

NortyFiner

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

Microsoft has put up five critical updates for Windows and related programs, including a couple of vulnerability fixes. Make sure you are up to date here...

http://v4.windowsupd.../en/default.asp
Admin of the Official San Francisco 49ers Forum
Visit us at http://49ers.hosttown.com

#2 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:00 AM

Just installed those...

A good 3+ MB, plus the space taken by the restore points... Darn, if M$ goes on like this, we'll soon need new hard drives just for the critical patches! :hmmm:

Below is a snapshot from Belarc Advisor. :eek:

R. :techsupport:

Attached Thumbnails

• ms_hotfixes.gif

Edited by rosso_acido, 14 July 2004 - 11:07 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:22 PM

Just installed those...

A good 3+ MB, plus the space taken by the restore points... Darn, if M$ goes on like this, we'll soon need new hard drives just for the critical patches! :hmmm:

Below is a snapshot from Belarc Advisor. :eek:

Thats all those restore points!!!!
I installed the updates yesterday, this morning I ran a disc clean up utility, it found there were about 30 beefy restore points where I used to have 5 or 6.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:43 PM

Yeah, that's where all that disk space goes. :eek:

The first time I figured out what was mysteriously eating away all those gigabytes, I checked to see everything was working more or less fine and got rid of all the restore points. I was shocked to see 5 full GB of disk space being emptied before my eyes! :gasp:

Now I keep a very strict eye on what's going on in the infamous System Volume Info folder and delete the accumulated restore points every couple weeks or so... If I didn't have a second hard drive, one more PC and tens of rewritable CDs and Zip disks, I don't know where I'd be able to store all the material I keep in them, with all this outrageous space consumption...

Edited by rosso_acido, 14 July 2004 - 04:51 PM.

I am the iron anchor.

#5 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

Another thing about those updates, & could this be a first? They all ask for internet access rights (???), I checked my ZA programs list & there were 4 SP.exe in the list (which I removed). What's next from M$... :scratchhead:

#6 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:16 AM

Yeah, that's where all that disk space goes. :eek:

The first time I figured out what was mysteriously eating away all those gigabytes, I checked to see everything was working more or less fine and got rid of all the restore points. I was shocked to see 5 full GB of disk space being emptied before my eyes! :gasp:

Hiya guys,
a question, maybe a silly one :unsure: How do you check "restore points"? and how do you get rid of them? I mean: need to download a specific application or can do the job manually?
Thanx in advance :)

#7 baz

baz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:39 AM

Hi, Altaich.
To check (or use) your system restore points:
(All) Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

To remove restore points:
(All) Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup>More Options>System Restore. Click on Cleanup.

This will erase all but the most recent restore point. But IMPORTANT: Wait a day or so to make sure everything's working OK after downloading the Microsoft patches. System Restore is a fairly easy (though not the only) way to undo the problem if anything's wrong. Once you're comfortable that everything is OK, you can clean out all those space-hogging restore points.

Edited by baz, 16 July 2004 - 02:53 AM.

#8 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 02:57 AM

Thanx very much indeed baz ! :)

Another wee problem (maybe I should move to another thread): I have 1 pc with Win98/Win2k on it and a pc with WinXP. On the Win98/Win2k, Critical Updates works fine, on WinXP when I click on "Install" (try to download the recent 5 updates) it simply does not work: nothing happen. Thought could be the firewall (KerioPF 4) and shut it down, but again nothing. Any ideas? (anyway all machines are connected on the same adsl line). This behaviour started only at the last Update (yesterday), before worked fine on WinXP as well.
Thanx in advance again.

#9 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:27 AM

Hi Altaich,
about your problem d/l w-u's, are you trying manually (from IE, tools, w-u), or from the reminder icon in the systray (near clock)? One of my friend had problems with later method, I showed him the manual way & it worked like a charm.
Also, 2 WIndows services are essentials in getting w-u's; Cryptographic & Windows Installer. They need to be in automatic startup mode, as well as started in order for w-u to go thru smoothly. Both can be shutdown after the restart of WIndows (if you want to save ressources).

#10 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:38 AM

Hi Doctor J,
I tried from IE -> Tools -> W-U, everything fine till the "Install" button that does not work. As at the moment Im at work, I'll try to check about Cryptographic and Windows Installer this afternoon when at home and will let you know.
Thanx :)

#11 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:33 AM

I'll try to check about Cryptographic and Windows Installer this afternoon when at home and will let you know.
Thanx :)

To get to WIndows services, click on Start, then on Run; type "services.msc" (without brackets), & hit enter. Scroll down to Cryptographic services, & double-click (or right-click) to open its properties. It should be set to automatic start, & the service itself should be started. Hit Apply, OK your way out, then do the same with WIndows Installer service. That should do it.

#12 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

Hiya,
Cryptographic services was already on (Automatic); I had to change Windows Installer properties. But still no luck. Basically I can't download the 5 Critical Updates and Service Packs listed on Windows Update site.
I'm wondering if there are any settings needed to change in IE.

#13 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:28 AM

Ok, I think I found my problem, maybe.
When I try to click on "Read more" (at the end of any Update Description - see below) it doesn't work as well. That's a javascript, think should open a windows on top but nothing happen as per the "Install" button. So, could you please tell me how to enable that? (if that's the prob of course). I went to Tools -> IOptions -> Advanced tab and make sure Java (Sun) and Microsoft VM are all checked. Do not know what to do more :huh:

Thank in advance for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• java.JPG

#14 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:57 AM

Maybe you could try downloading and installing M$'s VB Scripting Fix for XP... It's known to solve such problems sometimes (and will do no harm anyway).

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Hope that helps... :scratchhead:

R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#15 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:15 PM

Thanx Rosso Acido. Unfortunately it didn't work.
Downloaded, reboot the pc but nothing... ??? :scratchhead:

#16 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

Are you using a popup blocker (who doesn't, theses days)?
Some of them are pretty agressive & could interfere with d/l & install window.
Can you try turning the feature off (or give permission for the windows site) & try again

#17 Altaich

Altaich

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:30 PM

I turned Free Surfer mk II off and turned off the Ad blocking features of my firewall (KPF4) and.... yeah just downloaded and installed all the 5 Critical Updates :)
Thanx very much indeed Doctor J !!!

#18 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:49 PM

Glad it worked out :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button