M$ Hijacked Me!!!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:13 AM

My rant. When I went to get the MS IE July critical updates from my XP Home this morning, I went to Start>WinUpdate. Normally, I get to an MS page that says ‘Scan to get updates’.

But today, I was redirected to the following :

http://v5.windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us

which told me that MS was checking to see if the correct update software was installed. I was puzzled, and onto the screen came the words that if I pressed Install, my software would be updated. I did so, thinking the July ones would be downloaded (still asleep).

But NOT so...onto the screen after a few minutes came the message that this Install was intended for PERMANENT future Automatic updates!!!!!!….and downloads couldn’t proceed because I had disabled the following Services :

Task Scheduler, Background Intelligent Tracker and Event Log.

So before I knew it, MS has put tentacles on my machine WITHOUt telling me beforehand what their intention was. :techsupport:

Now my rant is that NO ONE tells me what to download onto my PC automatically and without permission (even Mike Healen said so in a previous post) :p . NO ONE holed up in the Seattle fuhrer bunker has the right to sneakily tell me (and millions of others) that all future updates would be automatic WITHOUT informing them from the very beginning before pressing Install. :deal:

I have always done Manual updates and always will...even NAV, since it saves huge system resources. It is up to the individual to have a choice, not sneakily entering my machine like they have done.

I dont know what they installed without my permission, but if anyone knows what to delete please let me know...or maybe I'm paranoid.

End of rant...and my next machine will be a Mac. :wave:

#2 VelociWare

VelociWare

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:39 AM

I dont now Version 5 of Automatic update but here goes :

If its a KB hotfix it will be in Add/remove programs with a KBB+number. You can remove it from there. Make sure its the correct KBB+number you choose.
You could proberly also disable "Automatic Update" service from "Services".
Mayby it has also installed the new version of the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS). More infor can be found in this article :
http://support.micro...spx?kbid=842773

#3 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:35 AM

Hi VelociWare

Thanks for input. My Services has/had Automatic Updates purposely disabled from years ago, as well as the others that M$ wants me to Enable.

Point is, only critical Hotfixes are carefully downloaded, and I avoid cluttering my HD with XP stuff I dont need, which currently stands at 27 non critical updates.

If it was on Automatic I would get all this stuf without my consent. :weee:

#4 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:01 PM

Automatic Updates should be permanently disabled unless you're in the following situations:

- Corporate users pushing out updates from a central server
- People who don't care about security and just want a working machine (until MS releases the next service pack and breaks everything)

BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is necessary for V5 of Windows Update. Turn it on, leave it on.

Event Log is another useful service - it logs errors and failed access attempts on your system. That's something that should definitely be on.

Use V4 of Windows Update until you feel that you want to migrate to V5.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#5 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:21 AM

Hi Tux
I understand what you are saying but I wont be migrating to v5. To me, to have M$ sneakily tell me and others that all my future updates will be Automatic is dreadful....it means I will have my HD full of stuff I dont want ie non critical updates....thats the point of Manual, I download what I want when I want :thumbsup:

Just been reading that M$ SP2 will be based on Auto downloads once installed...so I will stick to SP1 and future v4 Updates unless they also sneakily disable that facility.... in fact, maybe I return to pen and paper in the future..or even get a carrier pigeon for messages :weee:

No corporation has the right to control what IT content the consumer needs...it smacks of Big Brother....the whole point is choice...and a Mac looks my next investment. :wave:

#6 Misereor

Misereor

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:51 AM

Pretty sneaky, but not unexpected.

Bill has been getting a lot of bad press lately, due to all the security issues.

Much of that trouble could have been avoided if people updated regularly, so MS are pushing harder to force updates onto their machines. Unfortunately that also hits people who are quite capable of doing their own manual patching.

(It could also have been avoided if MS had been a little more proactive on the security front, but forcing updates down the customers throats is easier... :p )

Eggs and omelets.

Oh well, I guess you can always download the enterprise versions of patches and install those manually, like in the good old days...

#7 Guest_Ghost_*

Guest_Ghost_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:59 AM

A little icon appears in my taskbar every so often that notifies me when there are updates ready to be installed. I press the little icon and install them.

What's so bad about having it done that way?

#8 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 04:20 AM

Miserear

Much of that trouble could have been avoided if people updated regularly, so MS are pushing harder to force updates onto their machines. Unfortunately that also hits people who are quite capable of doing their own manual patching.

Got it in one...it also means that Bill can boast
(1) He has gone all out to protect IE browser security probs :rofl:
(2) With forced Automatic updates, he cannot now be abused :evilgrin:

Hey Ghost,
I have seen those icons on other machines...but...

:wave:

#9 Tuxedo Jack

Tuxedo Jack

Creator of TuxPE, a Cat5-o'-9-Tails, Etherkillers, and more

• Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 09:18 AM

Would anyone here have the SP2 beta? If so, can you tell me if you can stop and disable the Automatic Updates system service? If not, this is going to prove troublesome for my employers unless someone programs something to stop them.
Signature file is under revision. This will be back shortly.

#10 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:57 AM

Tuxedo Jack

http://www.theelderg...vice_pack_2.htm

Just found the above.They seem hell bent on not wanting people to have a choice, but apparently there will be an uncheck Auto box tucked away somewhere.

#11 Guest_Ghost_*

Guest_Ghost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:26 AM

Hey Ghost,
I have seen those icons on other machines...but...

Am i missing something here? The updates don't automatically install, i select the button install when the icon appears. Is that what you people mean when it's "automatic updates" being they automatically install?

Edited by Ghost, 17 July 2004 - 12:27 AM.

#12 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:56 AM

Ghost

I understand the updates dont automatically install, but you dont inderstand what I am saying.

I am trying to say in my earlier posts that it is an individual's choice whether to have their machine on Automatic updates, not to have a corporation sneakily hijack my V4 Updates page and tell me that "improved" software will help me etc...THEN have the temerity to tell me I cannot update because my BITS, Event Log, Auto settings in Services are disabled, so please enable them etc. They DID NOT inform me of that choic. It will happen in IE SP2, unless people know the drill.

I thought my posts were quite logical. I only install Manual updates because I want to save system resource by disabling hogs like Auto update ( and many others) and dont want non critical updates, let alone M$ hijacking me to other pages...

It is MY choice what I do with my machine , not anyone elses. If 10 million people want their machines on Auto, best of luck to them.

But not me...
Thats what I am trying to say to you people.
Have a nice day.

Edited by Trenton, 17 July 2004 - 09:59 AM.

#13 Guest_Ghost_*

Guest_Ghost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2004 - 11:13 AM

Ghost

I understand the updates dont automatically install, but you dont inderstand what I am saying.

You're right i don't. The automatic updates i recieve with the little icon that appears in my taskbar have never caused me a problem, so it's a wonder to me why everyone is always against M$ and automatic updates. If you got jacked, i don't know what to say, sorry to hear that but maybe it's a good idea to set up your machine where the little icon will appear to notify you when updates are available aswell. Good luck and take care.

#14 NonSuch

NonSuch

Spyware Eradicator!

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

On the other side of the coin...... I never cease to be amazed by the number of people who come schlepping into the Malware Removal forum, using an OS with no service packs installed, with Internet Explorer 5.0 or 5.5, as they rant about how they've been hijacked and what a b@$t@rd Bill Gates is for not protecting them.

Some people who choose not to use the automatic updates feature do quite well because they frequently check for and install needed critical updates. They know what they're doing and they know what their system needs. Unfortunately, many other people seem to believe that they just don't need to be concerned about updates, critical or otherwise.

#15 Trenton

Trenton

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 06:49 AM

Nonsuch

You make very good statements.
But remember many millions of people out there just want to buy a computer, plug it in and press the keys, not knowing about the intricacies of what version IE/OS/SP they need. They arent interested in that!! If they are knowledgable but lazy as to keeping up to date, well...no sympathy.

So when people with problems come to forums like Malware removal etc it would be easy to slate them, but its easier that everyone learns by their mistakes in life to prepare them for a safer IT future...even though its frustrating for the Helpers/Mods etc

Or is it easier to hate the sinner?

Have a nice day....Amen... :wave:

#16 NonSuch

NonSuch

Spyware Eradicator!

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

Trenton,

I hate no one. :rofl: I was merely making an observation. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic