Problem trying to install AVG free antivirus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Algernon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

In addition to my spyware problem that is still not completely resolved... :whistle:

...I have a antivirus problem.

My subscription to Norton (NAV 2003 Professional) is running out and since I've not been particularly satisfied with the product I decided to try the AVG (Grisoft) free product.

I downloaded the zipped file, but when I begin the installation, the following happens:
a) the file unzips just fine
b) I get an error window labeled "File Error" with the message "Cannot find SHELL.DLL"
c) I hit [Close] twice
d) then I get an error window labeled "Can't run 16 bit windows program" with the message "Cannot find file C:\DOCUME~1\GARYBA~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WZS574.tmp\setup.exe (or one of its components). Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."
e) I click [OK] and the result is that nothing is installed.

Does anyone have a clue as to what is happening, and what I need to do?

Do I need to uninstall Norton before attempting to install AVG?

(I'm running Windows XP, fully updated with Critical Updates. Due to my spyware problems I've been running Firefox as my browser.)

#2 suebat

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:49 PM

I got the exact same message so i just gave up!!

#3 Algernon

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:28 PM

Well, suebat, if it makes you feel any better, I gave up too. I ended up downloading Avast! after spending a few days reading their message board.

I've been very happy with Avast! It found two viruses right away that Norton had not found. And just today it intercepted five emails containing the new MyDoom variant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button