• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guarana

Guarana

In Training

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:46 PM

Anybody heard of AČ(or A squared) free anti-virus, trojan, worm, etc. by Emisoft?

Here's the website: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

If anybody has used it, do you think it's any good? Please give me your opinions about this software.

It's free, but there's also a premium version that includes live malware auto-protection features. It's $30 for the premium.
If you need help removing a malware infected file, make sure you have HijackThis 1.98.2. Save it to a permenant folder. Do NOT fix anything without professional supervision.

A good, free online scan: Trend Micro's Housecall. Do NOT rely on this as your main source to remove viruses, make sure you have anti-virus software on your PC. It is extremely recommended to have anti-virus software that automatically protects your computer.

-Free Security Tools(Highly Recommended)
Anti-Virus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
Anti-Spyware - Scanners: Spybot - S&D and Ad-Aware(it is recommended to have both).
Anti-Spyware - Blockers: SpywareBlaster and SpywareGaurd(both work together to protect your computer and both are recommended).
Removal Tools: CWShredder(CoolWebSearch Removal) + About:Buster(HomeSearch Virus Removal + Peper Trojan Removal + Look2Me Fix For Win9x Users + Look2Me Fix For Win2k/XP Users
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Edition

Remember to keep these programs updated and run the scanners at least once a week!

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:35 PM

Yes i have heard of A2 (free) and use it. It seems to be a pretty good app, but i wouldn't rely on it as your only anti-malware program. It seems better as a backup, but it is improving. Never tried the premium version, so can't comment on it.

#3 Guarana

Guarana

In Training

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 05:14 PM

Yeah...I've been trying out some free anti-virus programs. I mainly rely on Norton SystemWorks 2004. Then I'll do a free TrendMicro online scan to sweep up whatever Norton didnt pick up.
If you need help removing a malware infected file, make sure you have HijackThis 1.98.2. Save it to a permenant folder. Do NOT fix anything without professional supervision.

A good, free online scan: Trend Micro's Housecall. Do NOT rely on this as your main source to remove viruses, make sure you have anti-virus software on your PC. It is extremely recommended to have anti-virus software that automatically protects your computer.

-Free Security Tools(Highly Recommended)
Anti-Virus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition
Anti-Spyware - Scanners: Spybot - S&D and Ad-Aware(it is recommended to have both).
Anti-Spyware - Blockers: SpywareBlaster and SpywareGaurd(both work together to protect your computer and both are recommended).
Removal Tools: CWShredder(CoolWebSearch Removal) + About:Buster(HomeSearch Virus Removal + Peper Trojan Removal + Look2Me Fix For Win9x Users + Look2Me Fix For Win2k/XP Users
Firewall: ZoneAlarm Free Edition

Remember to keep these programs updated and run the scanners at least once a week!

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:29 PM

Just incase you weren't aware of it Elfie7X, A2 is not an anti-virus. I would call it an anti-trojan, primarily. It will detect some other forms of malware, but it's certainly not an anti-virus, and should never be used in place of one.

That being said, i would say it sound like a good idea to use TrendMicro scans, along with Norton, for a second opinion. I also use the free online scanners for a double check, and also have a second anti-virus on my computer (with all scanners disabled, and used as an on-demand scanner only).

#5 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:15 PM

I used A2 for awhile and it doesn't scan for viruses, but maybe in the future,
as you can see on their homepage :

Trojans 20324
Dialer 3839
Worms 1641
Spyware 24
Viruses 0

I uninstalled it, because the trial period was over. :D
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#6 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:16 AM

Isnt there a freeware version?
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#7 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:37 AM

Yes paranoid you could be right about that, but I don't have the time at this moment to read the website completely.
It doesn't make any difference to me.
A2 is the n'th malware scanner in a long row and I have already too many scanners IMO.

Edited by ErikAlbert, 15 July 2004 - 10:03 AM.

ErikAlbert

#8 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:05 AM

There is both,
the freeware version is limited to on demand scan, while the full version add real time monitoring, along with some kind of startup monitor; a trial version for it is available.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#9 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:15 AM

Doctor J
Thanks for the info. Most probably, I downloaded the trial version.
I think the trial period was 30 days.
Right after the downloading and installing the trial version, I received an email to buy it. A little too fast IMO they didn't even gave me enough time to think about it.
ErikAlbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button