Insane problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 redx113

redx113

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

I am trying to help a friend here and they apparently downloaded something. I went to my house and burnt ad-aware, mcafee and spybot to a cd. I was able to install mcafee and adaware. adaware found about 120 items I think and mcafee didnt find anything with latest dats. I tried to install spybot and it said something about not able to openthread and rolled back the changes.

Now when I try to open internet exploerer the pages continually reloads nonstop and does not open the website or let you do anything. If you try to open my computer it says this
"Your current security settings prohibit running activex on this page. As a result, the page may not be displayed correctly"

I thian click ok and it is just a blank page. I tried saving a hijack this log but it does not save. I managed to install Opera to get this going and I ran both cwshredder and kill2me. Both came up empty. I am completely stumped at what to do. I cannot even click Open in opera to open the log.

If you tell me where the log is saved to I can pop it open from run by hitting windows key + r

Also, they cant even open the start menu.

PLEASE HELP!

#2 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:32 PM

Try booting into safemode. See if you can install spybot while in safemode and run it. Run adaware again.

Also close all browser windows and run hijackthis. When you click "save log" a box should open asking where to save the log.
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

#3 LBUPA

LBUPA

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:15 PM

Sounds to me like the "Immunize" feature of SBS&D was run at some point in time. I encountered this on another persons computer. I will not use the Immunize" feature of SBS&D anymore. I suggest you get to that particular feature and undo the changes it made and see if your probelm goes away.

#4 redx113

redx113

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

It is extremely insane whatever happened here. I booted in the safe mode and it is the exact same thing. Cannot open my computer. Cannot click the start menu. Cannot do anything really.

They never had spybot or adaware ever installed. So that cant possibly be it. Please check out my other thread where I listed alot more info. Hope one of you know what is going on

http://www.spywarein...t=0

#5 redx113

redx113

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

If I were to put Windows XP on her computer and choose Upgrade would that keep all her documents? This is really the only thing I can think of to do at this point.

#6 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:04 AM

Some suggestions.

Try using msconfig to disable all start up programs and non microsoft services. Open the run box and type msconfig.
on the services tab put a checkmark at " hide all microsoft services" then uncheck anything remaining.
Go to the programs tab and uncheck all startup programs. Reboot and check for improvement. If that helped you can add back services or programs one at a time to see which one was the problem.

Have you tried system restore? You can get to it from the run box. The executable is rstrui.exe in the restore folder . Type the full path, it is in your system root folder. C:\WINDOWS\system\Restore\rstrui.exe

If none of this helps, then try a repair install of me before an upgrade. Both will retain your documents.
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

#7 redx113

redx113

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:31 AM

Some suggestions.

Try using msconfig to disable all start up programs and non microsoft services. Open the run box and type msconfig.
on the services tab put a checkmark at " hide all microsoft services" then uncheck anything remaining.
Go to the programs tab and uncheck all startup programs. Reboot and check for improvement. If that helped you can add back services or programs one at a time to see which one was the problem.

Have you tried system restore? You can get to it from the run box. The executable is rstrui.exe in the restore folder . Type the full path, it is in your system root folder. C:\WINDOWS\system\Restore\rstrui.exe

If none of this helps, then try a repair install of me before an upgrade. Both will retain your documents.

I already tried the disabling practically everything via msconfig. That made no difference. As for system restore when I launched that via msconfig it opened up blank I don't know if typing that in via run would have made a difference.

In any case. I figured it out. I typed in regedit figuring I'd take a look around and it said problem accessing registry than I googled real fast repair registry and I seen scanreg. BINGO.. I typed scanreg into run it popped up saying problem accessing registry and restoring a backup. After restarting all was back to normal. I rescanned with ad-aware, spybot, and norton. ad-aware foudn around 120 things(which was returned when the backup of the registry was restored), spybot found about 5 things, one that most stood out was DSO Exploit. I than set norton to autoscan and autoupdate and told them to scan with spybot and ad-aware at LEAST once a week. I also put the sdhelper on in spybot. Either that or the teatimer. The one that blocks bad downloads in IE. The other constantly popups up asking about registry changes I know they would get sick of that.

After doing that, I got the latest patches and such via windows update and than installed goback for them. Hopefully all this will be enough to keep their problems to a minimum and I won't have to go over there again trying to fix the computer.

#8 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:20 PM

Please keep to one topic.

As the issue is resolved, this topic is closed.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button