Reinstall Operating System?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Harry Hirsute

Harry Hirsute

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Hello. I hope someone out here might be able to guide me through this.

I had a cable technician come out to replace my cable modem but he couldn't successfully do so because when he attempted to get the computer to recognize the new modem, he encountered some trouble.

The problem appears to revolve around a corrupt/dysfunctional or missing file.

Here's how the message reads:

"Cannot find the file 'rundll32.exe' (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."

The technician advised me to uninstall/reinstall the operating system (Windows 2000).

Before doing this, he recommended that I back up my system with a zip drive.

I'm a real novice when it comes to computers - I find them to be painfully overwhelming.

Bearing this in mind, I'd really appreciate any advice about the simplist way to back up my harddrive to a zip disk(?) and then uninstall/reinstall Windows 2000 without causing some sort of meltdown or other calamity.

Thanks for taking the time to read my message and for any replies.

#2 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hi,
It's to my understanding that if Windows 2000 or Windows Xp has rundll32 showing up in your task list then you have a virus, I do beleive the name of the virus could be one of three named: W32.Miroot.Worm - W32/Legemer.Worm - W32.HLLW.Sanker

It's not uncommon for Rundll or Rundll32 to show up in Windows 98/Windows Me or even Windows NT I beleive. Even though if it did a virus should never be ruled out.

Make sure you update your virus protection first, then run it. The only thing I'm not sure on is if Windows 2000 has a system restore and if it does disable that first before running the scan.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

#3 Harry Hirsute

Harry Hirsute

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:28 PM

Thanks for your reply. I do keep McAfee virus scan updated and I run it several times a week. I also regularly use and update the AVG virus scan. Occasionally, I run the CWShredder too.

Last year, my system was infected with a virus but with the assistance of some of the folks on this website, I (believe) that I was able to eradicate it. However, in the process, some files may have been damaged(?).

By the way, I regularly update and run Adaware and SpyBot. I also have Spyblaster and SpywareGuard installed. I'm trying to do some things right!

I don't know if this information is helpful to know but I thought it might be.

#4 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 10:53 PM

Try running the system file checker. It will repair or replace needed system files.

Go to the run box and type: sfc /scannow
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

#5 Harry Hirsute

Harry Hirsute

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I just went to the run box and typed: sfc /scannow.

Here's what happened:

A window appeared with the heading: "Windows File Protection". Underneath the heading, it read:

"Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows Files are intact and in their original versions."

I waited for this process to complete but nothing seemed to happen afterwards.

No other messages or instructions popped up. Did I do something wrong? Should I do something else?

#6 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

When you ran sfc did you see the progress bar? I can't tell if it ran properly.
You might try putting your original install disk in your cd rom drive, but don't tell it to run. Run sfc /scannow again, it will look there for any needed files.

You can try downloading the rundll32.exe and put it in the proper folder. Download your version here.

Windows NT4/2000:
Download the copy for your Windows version and unzip it first into the folder C:\WINNT\System32\dllcache (overwriting any existing copy), then into the folder it needs to go for your Windows version.

Then place it in C:\WINNT\System32
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button