Americangreetings.com?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheAlmightyButter

TheAlmightyButter

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:18 PM

I got an email from someone I actually know, but this is suspicious. I am wondering if I should click the link, because AVG said it's virus-free, but I have heard of recent viruses that send you this stuff and I don't know why my friend would send me a greeting card. It's way passed my birthday, and she has an AOL account and she is more likely to send me a greeting card from there.(She did on Christmas.) I took a screenshot of the email, and I wanna know if this is really from her or not.

Attached Files

#2 TheAlmightyButter

TheAlmightyButter

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:31 PM

ok close this topic I called her up and she said it was by her. I'm so sorry. :unsure:

Edited by TheAlmightyButter, 14 July 2004 - 09:31 PM.

#3 New Raider

New Raider

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:00 PM

Even if it's from someone you know, do not use AmericanGreetings.com or 123Greetings.
Worms and Trojans hide in the animated cards and html.
Don't trust bmp, jpg, zip, pdf, and other formats.
Text (.txt) is pretty safe, but even that isn't fool proof.

To that guy who just discovered Sam Spade, saying it isn't spyware, I urge you to look up Loverspy.
It's a Trojan that was purposely embedded in the software.
It allows the user to become a self detective, spying on lovers and family, while at the same time, the infected computer sends information about many other things (including all keystrokes) back to the source.
It was discovered in 123Greetings, and American Greetings had a similar worm from Net Detective, which is supposed to be 100 percent legal.

Edited by New Raider, 15 July 2004 - 10:42 AM.

#4 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 01:01 PM

I urge you to look up Loverspy.
It's a Trojan that was purposely embedded in the software.
It allows the user to become a self detective, spying on lovers and family, while at the same time, the infected computer sends information about many other things (including all keystrokes) back to the source.

Huh? :scratchhead:

I'm using American Greetings myself via Yahoo, and never noticed anything like that... If you have proof that backs up what you're saying, why don't you provide a link to the relevant source (news article etc.) so we can be informed first hand about it.

There is (was?) indeed a so-called e-card service that put the Loverspy trojan in people's computers on demand, but as far as I know, it's old news. It was discovered sometime last year, I think, and was discussed on the old SWI forum. I believe it had nothing to do with American Greetings (officially, at least) or even 123Greetings (although I can't actually speak for that as I've never used this sevice) - if I'm not mistaken, the (Eastern European?) "company" distributing it had a totally different name but unfortunately I can't remember any details right now. A search in the old SWI forums should provide more info, though.

I believe one should think twice before spreading erroneous or unconfirmed information, especially since not everybody reading it is knowledgeable enough to not be misled and panic without reason.

EDIT - There, I found it. Much comprehensive info here and here. Also, it seems that Ad-Aware has been detecting Loverspy since October 2003 (more details here).

R. :hmmm:

Edited by rosso_acido, 18 July 2004 - 08:07 AM.

I am the iron anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button