• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Xero Grid

Xero Grid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:14 PM

Hiya. I'm Xero Grid.
Cleaning computers is my job, and helping people from having me clean their computers is my hobby. :)

I created and maintain a free project called Supertrick XG. It's a one-time installer for the Windows operating system to edit system files and settings (namely the HOSTS file and registry) to prevent ads, pop-ups, viruses, spyware, trojans, and the rest of the garbage just floating around the web. It started out as a HOSTS file installer, but now you can add malicious websites to the restricted sites zone, blacklist known spyware by their ActiveX CLSID (setting the kill bit), tweak some settings to help prevent exploits, and more. The latest version includes a HOSTS file updater I made, as well.

Posted Image

*Links in my sig*

Peace.

-- Xero Grid --

#2 VaMPiRiC_CRoW

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Hi Xero Grid,

Can this program works fine with the SpywareBlaster?

Thanks

#3 VaMPiRiC_CRoW

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:56 PM

forgot...

Edited by VaMPiRiC_CRoW, 15 July 2004 - 07:02 PM.

#4 Xero Grid

Xero Grid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:36 PM

It will work fine, but you need to keep in mind that if you use Spyware Blaster, since they have some of the same functions, that if you uninstall Supertrick XG, it will take registry entries with it. So, if you do that, it is recommended that you disable and then reenable spyware blaster protection. If you use Spyware Blaster, you may want to only use the components unique to each, so that one won't clash with the other upon uninstallation.

Peace.

-- Xero Grid --

#5 VaMPiRiC_CRoW

VaMPiRiC_CRoW

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info ;)

#6 ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert

Typical User

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

Hello Xero Grid,
At first sight, I have the feeling that "Supertrick XG" isn't really a product for ignorant pc users. Am I right about this ?

I also would like to know what makes "Supertrick XG" so special or different from any other product(s), that offers similar services. Is there really something NEW ?

Don't think, I'm trying to be negative. I'm just looking for a very good reason to use "Supertrick XG".
ErikAlbert
Simplicity is always brilliant.

#7 Xero Grid

Xero Grid

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:05 PM

Well, I tried my best to make it as simple as possible, but some PC knowledge would help. :D
I released a new version (1.6), by the way.

I suppose what makes mine different is the fact that it's all in one installer, and the defaults have proven safe for pros and novices. For the HOSTS file, I haven't seen anything else out there with the configurability and ease of use that doesn't ovewrwrite the HOSTS file and removes the changes upon uninstallation. For the rest of it... well, I might as well put it this way. To do everything without my installer, you would need the following applications:

HOSTS file= download several HOSTS files and copy and paste the entries of each drectly into the HOSTS file, which would give you duplications.
block spyware and cookies= SpywareBlaster.
restrict about:blank protocol=??
block file:// protocol=??
restricted sites zone= IE-SPYAD
DCOM=DCOMbobulator
disable Windows Messenger= ShootTheMessenger
uninstall Windows Messenger= Uninstall Messenger tool or a command in a run dialog box.
configure the DNS client service to prevent lag with large HOSTS files= You would have to do it manually
Make google defaul search engine in IE= The google registry patch
CWShredder= CWShredder
HOSTSupdater= This I made, so it's no where else.
eDexter= eDexter (seperate installer)
IE powertweaks= search for and download IE powertweaks
The customized shortcuts= You would have to make them yourself
The HOSTS file switch and locker/unlocker= mvps.org, but mine are altered to work on different versions of Windows and have other optimizations.

You can either have all that seperately, but if you're lazy, you can just use Supertrick XG. I've ssid it before and I'll say it again. One of the main reasons I made the project was to make my life easier, but someone said it had potential, so it kind of grew from there. :)

In the end, it's your choice. ;)

-- Xero Grid --

Edited by Xero Grid, 21 July 2004 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button