Mindows Media Player 9

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msiler

msiler

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

I used to use WIMP 7 and it worked fine for me. I should have known better but I went ahead and downloaded v.9 and now it will not play anything.

I have uninstalled and then re-installed it twice with no success. I have read just about everything I can find at the MS website also with no success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Matt-
Windows 2000pro and Opera7

#2 mellonhead

mellonhead

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 07:44 AM

Did you right-click the music file and select "Open With", and force it to open with WMP? Sometimes it is hust a file association problem.

#3 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:28 AM

Have you run a virus scan recently? I can't tell for sure this is the case, of course, but you might want to have a look here, just in case...

http://news.zdnet.co...39154533,00.htm

You can use any of the online scans in my signature to make sure you're virus free. You may also post a HijackThis log in the appropriate forum so an expert can take a look and find out what's going on.

Download Hijack This!, save it in a convenient permanent folder such as C:\HJT\, double click HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button. Press that, save the log, Ctrl-A to Select All, and copy its contents here. Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#4 oshmir

oshmir

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:25 AM

I know that several times I accidentally deleted some files from WMP9 that ad-aware thought was adware/spyware and nothing would work for me. I couldn't play music or movies at all. So everytime I searched through the quarantine list until I found it.

edit: oh and I also think spybot picked up on it too.

Edited by oshmir, 16 July 2004 - 10:27 AM.

#5 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:05 PM

In SOME cases (although it's not guaranteed to work) the following fix MAY restore the functionality of WMP, especially if it's broken by a virus (provided the virus has already been cleaned, of course - AND that you're running Win 2k or XP).

You could try downloading and installing this file:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Be sure you select the right version for your language of Windows from the dropdown menu on the right. Even if it doesn't solve the problem, installing it will do no harm anyway. :)

R. :wave:

Edited by rosso_acido, 16 July 2004 - 01:34 PM.

I am the iron anchor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button