Notepad.exe(.bak) Removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Unklebob

Unklebob

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:54 PM

Hi! I've been struggling with what looks like several different variants of the about:blank spyware for 3 weeks now on my Windows 2000 Server, Service Pack 4. I've installed and used Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, Webroot Spysweeper, Spywareguard, Spyware Doctor, Browser Hijack Alert, Hijack This, CWS Shredder and nothing worked until I read about manually removing the AppInit_Dll from the HLM\Software...etc. registry key using the folder renaming logic, which seems to have worked. (Nothing for about 24 hrs now.)

I just found your forum and read about your about buster, so I downloaded it to run just in case. As soon as it finished running my Browser Hijack alert popped up and advised me of a home page change to google.com!! Any ideas on this??

Also, the main topic of this post is to ask you about removing notepad.exe.bak files. I read a previous post about removing notepad.exe only if there is a notepad.exe.bak file in both the system and system32 directory, which there is in my case.

I tried this in the system32 directory and the notepad.exe file re-appears immediatley after deletion or moving to anotherdirectory with the same date stamp.

Do I have a remenant or another variant of the cleverest spyware ever??

Thanks for your attention, and keep up the good work -- your helping a lot of people!!!

#2 Unklebob

Unklebob

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

Can anyone help me with this?? :weep:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button