• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lee777

Lee777

Spyware Annihilator

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:14 AM

:D I just wanted to let everyone whose computer is infected with the about:blank browser hijack know that I managed to get rid of it (hopefully for good!). Now, it seems that there may be variations of the "damned thing", but anyhow, my home and search pages were reset with an unidentifiable page with links which led to NOWHERE - in other words, they were BLANK. The file in my Temporary Internet Files was called sp.html and no matter how many times I tried to delete it, as well as from the registry, it reappeared on reboot of the computer.

So...

Many thanks to this site for informing me about BHODemon, which I ran. It found several files, most of which were perfectly "normal", HOWEVER there was one particular file listed which was created recently, called mapodew.dll. It had no certificate and the company name was unknown. Suspicious. So I looked it up on the internet and discovered that other people were having similar problems with it and were trying to get rid of it. So, that was that. I went into the registry and pressed Edit, Find, typed in madopew.dll, and deleted it. BUT IT WAS IN MANY PLACES IN THE REGISTRY, so I just kept on pressing Find Next, and deleted until they were all gone. I then reset the home and search pages back to those of my choice, rebooted several times and it is still GONE!!!

REASON FOR CELEBRATION.

Please note, this is MY scenario, so I am not telling you to tamper with your registry without consulting an expert first. But I think it's important that I told my success story. Thank you, BHODEMON. :wave:
USEFUL LINKS:

>Spybot Search & Destroy
>CWShredder
>Symantec Security Check
>ZoneAlarm Firewall
>Windows Update

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life. - Chinese Proverb

Don't learn the proper name for anything technical. We know exactly what you mean by "my thingy's outta whack".

#2 Lee777

Lee777

Spyware Annihilator

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:30 AM

:D I just wanted to let everyone whose computer is infected with the about:blank browser hijack know that I managed to get rid of it (hopefully for good!).  Now, it seems that there may be variations of the "damned thing", but anyhow, my home and search pages were reset with an unidentifiable page with links which led to NOWHERE - in other words, they were BLANK.  The file in my Temporary Internet Files was called sp.html and no matter how many times I tried to delete it, as well as from the registry, it reappeared on reboot of the computer. 

So...

Many thanks to this site for informing me about BHODemon, which I ran.  It found several files, most of which were perfectly "normal", HOWEVER there was one particular file listed which was created recently, called mapodew.dll.  It had no certificate and the company name was unknown.  Suspicious.  So I looked it up on the internet and discovered that other people were having similar problems with it and were trying to get rid of it.  So, that was that.  I went into the registry and pressed Edit, Find, typed in madopew.dll, and deleted it.  BUT IT WAS IN MANY PLACES IN THE REGISTRY, so I just kept on pressing Find Next, and deleted until they were all gone.  I then reset the home and search pages back to those of my choice, rebooted several times and it is still GONE!!!

REASON FOR CELEBRATION.

Please note, this is MY scenario, so I am not telling you to tamper with your registry without consulting an expert first.  But I think it's important that I told my success story.  Thank you, BHODEMON. :wave:

PS. I forgot to add that I also deleted HomeOldSP from HKCU, Software, Microsoft, Internet Explorer, Main. Also deleted other files which referenced sp.html (ie. Search Bar, Search Page, Start Page). Then deleted the same files from Search.

After that I went to HKLM, Software, Microsoft, Internet Explorer, and deleted the same files again from Main and Search.

Hope this helps.
USEFUL LINKS:

>Spybot Search & Destroy
>CWShredder
>Symantec Security Check
>ZoneAlarm Firewall
>Windows Update

A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life. - Chinese Proverb

Don't learn the proper name for anything technical. We know exactly what you mean by "my thingy's outta whack".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button