Google's GMail

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SpywareDestroyer

SpywareDestroyer

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:55 AM

Does anyone use it? If so do u have any views?

http://gmail.google.com/

#2 bikerbabe1369

bikerbabe1369

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:30 PM

I started using GMail last week, and I love it. It's a bit different from Yahoo, Excite, & Hotmail. I found it to be a bit weird/quirky at first, but I got used to it. (I don't do change very well, especially on the computer.) I can think of a few things that I'd like changed, so I'll be sending them some feedback about it soon.

Some people are raising a fuss about the ads. They're generated on the right side of the email you're reading, and are computer-triggered by text in your email. Google claims that no human will read your email. Personally, I rarely notice the ads. I've seen so many banners & other ads on webpages, I'm now blind to them.

For privacy reasons, I make it a point to NOT click on banners or ads in my email or on the web. If an advertisement happens to catch my eye, I prefer to open a new browser window & manually type in the URL that's being advertised. Even if it's my favorite online catalog being advertised in a banner, I'll STILL open a new browser window & manually type in the URL. (For some odd reason, I don't have my favorite catalog bookmarked!?!)

Long story short, if you are able to sign up for GMail, I suggest doing it.
Hope this helps!
T~

PS - Edited to add:
You may want to check out this link for even more commentary:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4707

Edited by bikerbabe1369, 21 June 2004 - 11:43 PM.

#3 Zero

Zero

Advanced Member

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 11:52 PM

zerosrealm@gmail.com

Not worried of spam as I can set ma own junk filters.

#4 AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

AplusWebMaster

• SWI Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,451 posts

Posted 22 June 2004 - 06:49 AM

FYI...

Google Ponders Gmail Risks
- http://www.techweb.c...WB20040621S0014
June 21, 2004
"Google amended its registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission Monday, and deep inside the legalese, worried that its proposed Gmail e-mail service may do more harm than good for the company. "Concerns about our collection, use, or sharing of personal information or other privacy-related matters, even if unfounded, could damage our reputation and operating results," Google said.
The Mountain View, Calif.-based search firm is planning a $2.7 billion initial public offering (IPO), which is why it's required to file documentation with the SEC. A date for the IPO hasn't yet been set. "People have in the past expressed, and may in the future express, objections to aspects of our products. For example, people have raised privacy concerns relating to the ability of our recently announced Gmail email service to match relevant ads to the content of email messages," the company acknowledged in the filing..."

(It seems they got the message...) ;)

.The machine has no brain.
 ......... Use your own.
Browser check for updates here.
YOU need to defend against -all- vulnerabilities.
Hacks only need to find -1- to get in...

#5 Prophecy

Prophecy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 06:39 PM

How do you sign up for it?

3. How do I sign up? When can I get a Gmail account?

We're currently only offering Gmail as part of a preview release and limited test. We don't have details on when Gmail will be made more widely available, as that depends in part on the results of the test. If you're interested in receiving updates on Gmail, submit your email address using the form at the bottom of this page. And you can check out a sneak peek of Gmail here.

This is all the site will tell me.

Edited by Prophecy, 26 June 2004 - 06:41 PM.

#6 bikerbabe1369

bikerbabe1369

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:32 PM

Right now, in order to sign up, you have to receive an invitation from a Gmail user. Gmail users periodically receive invitations to give out to anyone they want. If you know someone who uses Gmail, ask them to send you an invite next time they get one. All of mine (when I get them) are already spoken for by family, friends, & co-workers.

#7 SpywareDestroyer

SpywareDestroyer

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:58 AM

Gmail Scans Email so they can attach adverts to them.

#8 Prophecy

Prophecy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 05:08 AM

Would anyone here be willing to send me an invitation? If so, plz send to Dj_Prophec@Yahoo.com.

#9 Jaxx

Jaxx

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:58 AM

Right now, in order to sign up, you have to receive an invitation from a Gmail user. Gmail users periodically receive invitations to give out to

Somebody wants to invite me?

Greetings Jaxx

bellydancing bauchtanzen danse du ventre
Weihnachtsfeier Firma Orientalisch

#10 raemounz

raemounz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:08 PM

hello there... i'm new here...

i would like to ask anybody if its ok to please invite me to gmail... i need it for my mails...

thanks i would really appreciate it...

my email add is [Email address removed. Not a good idea to show it in a public forum. People can send you email by clicking your E-Mail button, below. - cnm]

Edited by cnm, 25 July 2004 - 07:33 PM.

#11 Jaxx

Jaxx

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:48 AM

hey!

I was first!

Greetings Jaxx

Orientalische Events 1001 Nacht
Bauchtanzen Kurse

#12 Jumper

Jumper

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 01:14 PM

Recently Google has decided not to send out any further invitations, could this mean that they are getting ready to go public???Maybe not...
Apparently they are using this time to get responses from current users and correct any bugs (If you have GMail, you will know what Iam talking about)
-My account will not allow my password to stay logged in memory (The "keep your password for 2 weeks" doesn't work)
-Also, my account registers that I have no emails, even though I do have them. It always says 0% used, 0 Mb

But the good news is that people still have invitations to give out, so there are some around. There are forums where you can join and members are giving other members invitations, unfortuanatly there is also swapping sites and other people are selling invitations on eBay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button