Getting new Anti-virus software

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Novadistortion

Novadistortion

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:06 PM

This weekend I plan to go and get a new antivirus program. I used to have Norton, but my subscription has expired and it now refuses to update.

As such, I am through with Norton. I want something that isn't going to try to squeeze more money out of me on a regular basis.

I am looking for something that stays up to date, but won't compromise my computers security as a ploy to get more money out of me.

Any suggestions?
"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Your computer, your castle... but don't forget to put in a moat:

How Did I Get Infected In The First Place
HijackThis
CWShredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD'S
How To Set Up Ad-Aware/Spybot S&D
HouseCall Online Virus Scan

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:55 PM

What's wrong with AVG ?? It is regularly updated, has a smaller footprint than either Norton or Mcaffee, and even better, it's FREE!! :bounce:

Works for me, and several other regulars here.

Download from Grisft.com. AVG free edition.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 01:56 PM

AVG by Grisoft offers a free fully functionnal version liked by a lot of people here (including me); as far as staying up to date, there is an option to have auto-update turned on. Found here! :D

Hi Dave38, you beat me to it... :lol:

Edited by Doctor J, 16 July 2004 - 01:57 PM.

Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 rosso_acido

rosso_acido

Earl of Mysterious Briefcases

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:33 PM

AVG here, too. :thumbsup:

Avast! is another great one (you can check my signature for the free version), although a little more complex to configure... But it's got an auto-update feature as well and almost everyday updates (not to mention the wonderful support forums).

Best,
R. :wave:
I am the iron anchor.

#5 Novadistortion

Novadistortion

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:15 PM

Well, that sounds like a good deal.

Looks like you saved me some cash as well. Thanks!
"To argue with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

HijackThis
CWShredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD'S

#6 Novadistortion

Novadistortion

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:43 AM

I downloaded AVG and honestly, I am impressed. More so, I am just angry at Norton for being as worthless as it was.

AVG found 6 viruses that Norton apparently missed during its first scan.

I don't think they were actual viruses though. More likely just parts of them. I haven't had any problems and my HJT log and spyware scans show up clean.

They were all downloader trojans, and I had none of my old infections coming back to haunt me.

Still, I am glad it has all been dealt with.

HijackThis
CWShredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Ad-Aware
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD'S

#7 Trilobite

Trilobite

Malware Hunter

• Trusted Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:08 PM

It has been my experience that no AV software is perfect. All AV software detects some viruses, Trojans and exploits and all AV software misses some viruses, Trojans and exploits.

My suggestion would be to install two different AV software packages, at least one should have an on-access scan option, update them often and run full system scans on a regular schedule. They donít have to the expensive or extravagant AV programs, as the free AV packages can work just as well at the expensive ones. A word of caution though, do not perform the scans at the same time and under no circumstances run more than one on-access or background scan at the same time.

#8 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:58 PM

Here's a good sites that does reliable anti-virus tests. Make sure you click on the name of the anti-virus, in the left column, for more detailed results. http://www.virusbtn....ducts.xml?table

AVG (free)looks like it's improving somewhat, but i still wouldn't rely on it as my only anti-virus. You could also use another free AV, as Trilobite suggested, such as Antivir, Avast ect... And beware of false positives in the freebies.

#9 AntiSpam

AntiSpam

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:05 AM

Two questions I'll like to ask even though it's not really related.Which is better in terms of performance and detection?AntiVir PE or AVG 6.0 Free Edition?I was told that AntiVir listens to certain ports and most of the outbound traffic is generated by AntiVir and AVG 6.0 has virtually no trojans in its database.The other question is whether you guys ever used F-Prot for DOS with some shell extention.

http://www.mcse.ms/message954806.html

Found this rather intresting to look at.

Edited by AntiSpam, 02 September 2004 - 06:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button