have tried hundreds of times and it will not let me
download it, it says server not responding, but the
internet connection is perfectly fine. If anyone could
please help me it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

#2 Jumper

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

I know that certain systems have their bios set to where a system does not read more than 130-140 Gb Hdd. I actually had the same problem with a 250 Gb Hdd. You may be able to update your bios at the manufacturers website and that can assist.
My system was to old and I had to use a ATA card to fool my system in to believing the Hdd was within the range (Thus losing the difference)

#3 dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:26 PM

Some HD also have jumpers that allow the size to be restricted when fitted to older systems. I don't know if that applies here, but it may be worth checking the drive.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#4 B@ckdoor

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:52 PM

"By default, the original release version of Windows XP Home Edition and of Windows XP Professional do not have 48-bit LBA support. Your computer must meet the following requirements to use 48-bit LBA ATAPI support:

48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS.
137-GB hard disk or larger.
You must have Windows XP SP1 installed."

Since you are having problems with Windows Update???, download the whole SP1a package (134 MB), go off line, close all programs incl antivirus and firewall etc and run that file. If that download is the problem ask one of your friends to download it and burn a CD.

Get SP1a here:

Don't forget to visit Windows Update after SP1 is installed and at least get all Critical Updates.

As always before "big" updates/upgrades backup important documents, pictures or whatever you can't live without.

#5 PGPhantom

Superman of SWI

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,494 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

Be careful - I had the same issue - When you install XP YOU MUST have a slipstremed XP SP1 CD to install. You can get around it by downloading a driver disk from the hard ware manufacturer but eveentually your hard drive will lose it's mind and you will lose everything - I did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button