Mozilla/Firefox - Opinions?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Gluskape

Gluskape

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 06:39 PM

I've been recommended by dozens of people to try out Mozilla or Firefox to use instead of IE. However, some reviews on the download sites like CNET say these browsers slow things down too much and are blocked by certain websites. :scratchhead:

I haven't tried either of them yet myself, but would like to get some input from a reliable source. Are these browsers worth the extra security from spyware?

#2 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

Firefox is very good. I like the tabbed browser feature, as well as the additional security!

It is FASTER than IE, and a website that does not display correctly is wrongly coded! As for blocking access, if they don't want you to go there, do you really need to?

Firefox is standards compliant, which is a LOT more than can be said for Microshaft's offering! The only thing I have used IE for, since downloading firefox is accessing the Window Update site.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

#3 Scoff

Scoff

SWI Junkie

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:09 PM

The most useful thing about IE was that I downloaded firefox with it.

Once you've used tabbed browsing you'll never want a single window browser again. I've had a few minor issues with firefox with compatability/plugins but nothing much. Its cws resistant and spywareblaster is compatible with it. As its open source code there's a stack of extras for it - gets my thumbs up all round.
Regards
Scoff

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky

#4 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

I've been recommended by dozens of people to try out Mozilla or Firefox to use instead of IE.  However, some reviews on the download sites like CNET say these browsers slow things down too much and are blocked by certain websites.  :scratchhead:

Here are the facts, IE is faster on inital loadup compared to Firefox. That is because IE itself is loaded partly when windows starts.

However once both Firefox and IE are started, in general Firefox renders webpages faster.

I haven't tried either of them yet myself, but would like to get some input from a reliable source.  Are these browsers worth the extra security from spyware?

Definitely. One of the most often repeated comments by people who switch to firefox from Internet explorer, is that they find that after switching, ad-aware and spybot nowfind almost nothing except for a few harmless tracking cookies ,when in the past they always find some kind of malware.

This is espically true if you don't spend lots of time securing IE before.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#5 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:16 PM

Even if you forget about Mozilla's better security, it still beats IE by a long way with features.

As was said before, if a page doesn't display correctly in Firefox it's because it was coded by someone who was un-professional and probably doesn't know much about making websites.

#6 Acsell

Acsell

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

Firefox is a very good browser. Especially with all of the extensions that are available for it.

Some (but very few) websites are specifically made for IE browser only because it has been badly written or uses activex. If you do come accross a website that won't work in firefox then you can use ieview which adds an option to the right click menu to allow you to easily view that page in internet explorer or use a "User Agent Switcher" which will allow your browser to "pretend" to be IE.

IEview-
http://extensionroom...ore-info/ieview

User Agent Switcher-
http://chrispederick...ragentswitcher/
ASAP - Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals - Proud Member Since 2004
HJTHotkey - HijackThis Tutorial (Unofficial) - GetFiles
Autohotkey - Automation. Hotkeys and Scripting - Mozilla Firefox

#7 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 07:27 AM

Firefox is a very good browser. Especially with all of the extensions that are available for it.

Some (but very few) websites are specifically made for IE browser only because it has been badly written or uses activex. If you do come accross a website that won't work in firefox then you can use ieview which adds an option to the right click menu to allow you to easily view that page in internet explorer or use a "User Agent Switcher" which will allow your browser to "pretend" to be IE.

IEview-

User Agent Switcher-
http://chrispederick...ragentswitcher/

Just to add, spoofing or pretending to be IE
still won't help with poorly written websites (sites that display okay only in IE) or sites that use activeX since you are still using gecko.

Altough, they will help sometimes if webmaster is using a browser sniffing scipt to deny access to none-IE browsers for no good reason.
Please note that the software I recommend above is entirely based on only my own experience and testing. In no way should my comments,opinions and endorsements be construed as an endorsement by the forum, nor do they reflect the advise or recommendations by the experts or helpers at spywareinfo.

#8 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:01 AM

IEview-

This one does not spoof IE.
Go to windows update in firefox, right click, "view this page in ie" and IE opens to that page.
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

#9 frodo

frodo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:28 PM

Since I have installed Firefox I haven't seen a single pop-up window - bliss!
Plus dodgy websites no longer pour spyware into my PC the way they used to under IE 6. Ad-aware and other anti-spyware get to put their feet up and relax. Not a bad cookie in sight. It's great!
**Also it's worth installing Spyware blaster 3.2 since it's now been updated to help protect Firefox 0.9.2

#10 JG427

JG427

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:04 PM

I agree, firefox is great!
I have noticed that panda active scan won't run in firefox, but trend micro's house call will. :huh:

You don't really need spywareblaster with firefox. It's only function is to block a list of cookies from bad sites. I have cookies disabled and only exceptions allowed.

Of course, it's still a good idea to have spywareblaster for when you must run IE.
(windows update) :hmmm:
Posted Image
-----------Posted Image

#11 1st_evil

1st_evil

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 03:30 PM

im using firefox right now its much more secure built in pop up blocker and less spyware yaaay

#12 Buntox

Buntox

Lemming #1

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:47 PM

I have to agree with everyone here. I love the tabbing feature and don't get those popups. As for being blocked by a website for not using IE, I have not come across one.
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
Bertrand Russell

#13 Gluskape

Gluskape

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 11:35 AM

Alright,
I've installed Firefox. Love it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There are so many cool features I wasn't getting before and my fav sites load much faster. I don't know why I was so hesitant to try it out.

I looked at the list of extentions and notice there is an Ad blocker. Doesn't Firefox already come with a "built-in" ad blocker, or is this it?

~Gluskape

#14 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 12:07 PM

Alright,
I've installed Firefox. Love it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
There are so many cool features I wasn't getting before and my fav sites load much faster. I don't know why I was so hesitant to try it out.

I looked at the list of extentions and notice there is an Ad blocker. Doesn't Firefox already come with a "built-in" ad blocker, or is this it?

~Gluskape

It's comes with a built in popup blocker not Ad (as in banners etc) blocker.

There is a way to hide banners and other advertisments though
using CSS methods but it does not prevent the images from being downloaded, they just are hidden.

Adblock provides a real adblocker in the sense that any banners ,scripts, iframes that it "thinks" (based on rules you setup) is an advert will not be downloaded at all, this has the advanatage of speeding up browsing, compared to downloading everything then hiding it as above.

#15 oshmir

oshmir

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:16 PM

One word for firefox = amazing!

I love it. :kiss:

#16 Bolt

Bolt

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 11:19 PM

Hmm, I'm off to throw away my crappy IE browser now after reading everyone's responses here.

Just curious, can Firefox/Mozilla be used on eMac?

#17 [C]rOw

[C]rOw

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:49 AM

Yeah I think it can. Anyways Firefox is much better than IE and doesn't have any stupid toolbars.

#18 kwe

kwe

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:36 AM

I've been recommended by dozens of people to try out Mozilla or Firefox to use instead of IE.  However, some reviews on the download sites like CNET say these browsers slow things down too much and are blocked by certain websites.  :scratchhead:

I haven't tried either of them yet myself, but would like to get some input from a reliable source.  Are these browsers worth the extra security from spyware?

Firefox advantages:
  • tabbed browsing standard and useful tabbed browsing extensions available
  • no ActiveX controls or Browser Helper Objects allowed
  • open source, so vulnerabilities are found and addressed very quickly
Firefox gotchas:
  • IE still present on your system, with its known and unknown vulnerabilities
  • You still have to keep Windows up-to-date
I find tabbed browsing indispensable to fast and effective use of the Internet and I like to have tabbed browsing "my way" with extensions. I also like radial context menus far better than the linear menus that Windows uses. With radial menus (aka "mouse gestures") you don't have to look at the menu to do what needs done. You still need to use IE to browse on microsoft.com including windowsupdates.microsoft.com. I think the extra features and lack of activex and BHOs is a definite advantage, since the most vulnerable part of Windows XP is Internet Explorer and its wacky security design.

--
Kent

#19 Paranoid

Paranoid

Forum Deity

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:39 AM

Tabbed browsing alone I don't think is a good enough reason to switch.

As someone is probably going to chime in soon, you can use one of the various IE shells like Netcaptor, MyIE2 (now Maxthlon), Avant etc which will give you tabbed browsing + popup blocking plus more features than Firefox alone (before extensions).

#20 peachcelia

peachcelia

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:56 AM

:gasp: I,ve added Firefox twice, to try it out....both times it has slowed my computer to a crawl.......????????????????

#21 mellonhead

mellonhead

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:37 AM

I was tired of installing weekly updates to IE6... then I found Firefox (here, after a nasty CWS infection) and have not been hit by anything since... I even tried to get infected by going to sites I know attempt to load ByteVerify, .chm exploit etc.... and nothing could dent it.

I really dont find tabbed browsing any more useful than IE, but the security benefits are more than enough reason to use it.

#22 Bobbi Flekman

Bobbi Flekman

The computer whisperer.

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:44 AM

As far as I know IE is the only browser that uses ActiveX, so any browser is better.
You might also want to try Opera. That's what I use.

#23 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:48 AM

But Opera makes you be exposed to ads regardless of what website you go on. Unless you pay for it that is.

#24 jedi

jedi

aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:17 AM

Firefox every time. Just seen this thread after adding my own glowing testimonial in this forum. It may be slower to load initially but it's quicker after that, and generally a superior product in my opinion. (It's slightly slower loading images but quicker otherwise so I can live with that.)
I wouldn't swop back, not even if MSIE was gold-plated and diamond-studded!!
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#25 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:26 AM

IE is loaded as part of Windoze, that's why it is faster to load.

Personally, I have Mozilla run in the system tray at start up. No problems then.

#26 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 01:19 PM

Turnip,
That sounds like a good move, how do I do it? :D
jedi

My help is free, but if you wish to help keep these forums running please consider a donation, see This Topic for details.

#27 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

Well... Edit>Preferences>Advanced

Then click "Keep Mozilla in memory to improve startup performance".

I think that should do it, it definitely stops it keep loading up every time you open the browser. I can't find an option to run at startup, but it does give you the option when you install it.

Just try that and see what happens... ;)

#28 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 05:01 AM

Thanks. Seems quicker. :D
jedi

#29 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:06 AM

You will see now that there is an icon in your system tray.

#30 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 06:21 AM

Yes, there is. That was useful, thanks again. :D
jedi

#31 jedi

jedi

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,830 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

Oh, BTW, I've found the best reason of all to have Firefox. I've just downloaded Firesomething for Firefox, and my browser is at the moment Mozilla Seakangaroo, with My Assistant provided by Mozilla Lightningunicorn!
Completely infantile but highly amusing.
And the first time it repeats itself I'll uninstall it. :D :D
jedi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button