• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clingervsradar

clingervsradar

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 12:48 AM

anyone know a good popup blocker other than the google toolbar

or perhaps a way to patch the hole in IE that allows stuff to auto DL itself to ones system (ive installed all the microsoft patches and updates but spybot S&D still shows it as a hole.. or is that just spybot bein weird and pointing out stuff that dosent exist)

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:09 AM

It could be a false positive. It would help if you list exactly what Spybot is finding. I just avoid the whole issue of IE problems by using the free Firefox browser, instead of IE. You can find it here if interested. http://www.mozilla.o...roducts/firefox

Here's a good place to find some good free popup blockers. But i just use the free popup blocker in Firefox, which has worked very well for me. http://www.spychecke...e/popblock.html

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:09 AM

There is an important setting to check in IE (if you insist on using it). Open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, & the Advanced Tab. Scroll down to the Browsing section, locate a couple of Enable Install On Demand lines. Make sure they are UNchecked.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 clingervsradar

clingervsradar

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:42 AM

thanks i unchecked the stuff
heres what s&d still gives me for a result (i ran it before and after the change.. same results)

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-790525478-1606980848-1343024091-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

#5 spin

spin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 09:34 AM

anyone know a good popup blocker other than the google toolbar

Here's one that I use...
PopUpStopper 2.6

It is an old one but good (by Panicware), their newer versions aren't as good, in my opinion. I have used this version for years. Make sure you enable Agressive Popup Control after you install it.

#6 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:48 PM

or is that just spybot bein weird and pointing out stuff that dosent exist)

You got it! The report of DSO exploits is a minor glitch in Spybot itself, nothing wrong with your system.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

Member of

Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button
PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!