• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 clingervsradar

clingervsradar

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:48 AM

anyone know a good popup blocker other than the google toolbar

or perhaps a way to patch the hole in IE that allows stuff to auto DL itself to ones system (ive installed all the microsoft patches and updates but spybot S&D still shows it as a hole.. or is that just spybot bein weird and pointing out stuff that dosent exist)

#2 lonewolf

lonewolf

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:09 AM

It could be a false positive. It would help if you list exactly what Spybot is finding. I just avoid the whole issue of IE problems by using the free Firefox browser, instead of IE. You can find it here if interested. http://www.mozilla.o...roducts/firefox

Here's a good place to find some good free popup blockers. But i just use the free popup blocker in Firefox, which has worked very well for me. http://www.spychecke...e/popblock.html

#3 Doctor J

Doctor J

Resident Troubadour

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:09 AM

There is an important setting to check in IE (if you insist on using it). Open IE, click on Tools, Internet Options, & the Advanced Tab. Scroll down to the Browsing section, locate a couple of Enable Install On Demand lines. Make sure they are UNchecked.
Failure is not an option, it comes bundled with the software.

#4 clingervsradar

clingervsradar

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 03:42 AM

thanks i unchecked the stuff
heres what s&d still gives me for a result (i ran it before and after the change.. same results)

DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-18\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-790525478-1606980848-1343024091-1004\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-19\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0\1004!=W=3

#5 spin

spin

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:34 AM

anyone know a good popup blocker other than the google toolbar

Here's one that I use...
PopUpStopper 2.6

It is an old one but good (by Panicware), their newer versions aren't as good, in my opinion. I have used this version for years. Make sure you enable Agressive Popup Control after you install it.

#6 dave38

dave38

Devout Murphyite!

• Emeritus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:48 PM

or is that just spybot bein weird and pointing out stuff that dosent exist)

You got it! The report of DSO exploits is a minor glitch in Spybot itself, nothing wrong with your system.
Be wary of strong drink. It may make you shoot at tax collectors, and miss!
Please support SWI forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button