Alcohol 120%

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpalma

cpalma

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

My son keeps downloading the program "Alcohol 120%". He says he runs it just fine on his computer, but when he puts it on mine, I get innundated by popups/spyware. Is it spyware/malware?

#2 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

Hi cpalma,

I did some searching, and it doesn't appear that that program contains any spyware. Does he have any spyware protection that you don't have?

You should probably make a HJT log and get it looked over in the malware removal forum, and then when you know it's clean, try installing the program again to see what happens.

Turnip

#3 cpalma

cpalma

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have done a HJT log and posted it here.

It's not that I don't believe him, but everytime he installs it on my computer I get innundated with popups and malware!

#4 LineOFire

LineOFire

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 05:07 PM

It's definitely not spyware. I have had it on my computer and used it for years, no popups or spyware at all.

It's a program that lets you create virtual drives and burn CD images.

My bet's on your son is downloading some games/movies. :) Pirates are usually the ones with most need for Alcohol 120%. :-D

Don't ask me how I know that though... :whistle:

#5 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, it wouldn't really make sense if it contains spyware, as the free one is just a shareware version of a full program.

#6 nl255

nl255

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 03:05 PM

If he is installing a warez version or a crack for the shareware version, that could cause spyware to be installed along with the crack or warez copy. I know the shareware version from www.alcohol-soft.com (the official site) contains no spyware, though it will automatically check for new versions every so often unless that feature is disabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button