Alcohol 120%

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cpalma

cpalma

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:00 PM

My son keeps downloading the program "Alcohol 120%". He says he runs it just fine on his computer, but when he puts it on mine, I get innundated by popups/spyware. Is it spyware/malware?

#2 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

Hi cpalma,

I did some searching, and it doesn't appear that that program contains any spyware. Does he have any spyware protection that you don't have?

You should probably make a HJT log and get it looked over in the malware removal forum, and then when you know it's clean, try installing the program again to see what happens.

Turnip

#3 cpalma

cpalma

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have done a HJT log and posted it here.

It's not that I don't believe him, but everytime he installs it on my computer I get innundated with popups and malware!

#4 LineOFire

LineOFire

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:07 PM

It's definitely not spyware. I have had it on my computer and used it for years, no popups or spyware at all.

It's a program that lets you create virtual drives and burn CD images.

My bet's on your son is downloading some games/movies. :) Pirates are usually the ones with most need for Alcohol 120%. :-D

Don't ask me how I know that though... :whistle:

#5 Turnip

Turnip

Veggie Warrior

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:40 AM

Yeah, it wouldn't really make sense if it contains spyware, as the free one is just a shareware version of a full program.

#6 nl255

nl255

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 02:05 PM

If he is installing a warez version or a crack for the shareware version, that could cause spyware to be installed along with the crack or warez copy. I know the shareware version from www.alcohol-soft.com (the official site) contains no spyware, though it will automatically check for new versions every so often unless that feature is disabled.

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button