a note to Spyware warriors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Exasperated in Phoenix

Exasperated in Phoenix

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 08:52 PM

If you're running about fixing broken Windows, keep your favorite tools on a couple of different types of media.

3 weeks ago I'd fixed a machine with a severe infestation. After I'd removed everything, I noticed that the CD drive was working again. It'd been dead while the infestation was going on. Dismissing it as a fluke, I just ignored it.

I fixed another with the same symptom last week. I'm starting to see a trend.
That's now 2 machines with dead CD drives that miraculously revived once I'd gotten the malware off of the system. Looks like the kiddies are trying to keep me from getting my fixes into the system.

I'd been carrying around all of my toys on both CD and USB Flashdrive, fortunately. The next trick for the buggers is to shut down the USB root hub. It shouldn't be hard, as I have a heck of a time keeping mine running without the spyware! It seems everything I need to install wants to disable something else I've installed. Grumble.

If this keeps up, I'll have to start carrying a harddrive around as well.

A few that I've fixed were so hobbled that the network services were trashed, so using a network link was out of the question. How they expect to get their junk to call home without a functioning network stack is beyond me.

#2 WyoCowboy

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:54 PM

I've cured a number of machines with "dead cd drives" by removing scumware. As far as I remember, all of them have been win9x/me. It does not appear that this is an intentional part of the scumware programmers - if so, self-defeating, as it triggers a trip to the shop and removal of the scumware - but appears to be a side effect of loading the system down with an accumulation of scumware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button