Browser Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 10:42 PM

I have followed the FAQ and read all of the instructions and I am enclosing my Hijack this log. I ran Hijack this and got rid of suspicious entries, then ran buster the spybot and adaware, rebooted my computer and still get my google search page switched to this url:

http://search-to-fin...ree! &pin=96676

The pop-ups have stopped for now but I am afraid that they will come back as well.

Here is my Hijack Log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
Scan saved at 8:40:42 PM, on 7/18/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ipos.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CePMTray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPadNF\TPTray.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\EzButton\CPATR10.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\Program Files\EPSON\Ink Monitor\InkMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG511\Utility\WG511WLU.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 16 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://search-to-fin...=free&pin=96676
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {18BA6790-DA50-1A1A-0E2C-FC6CDFD533BF} - C:\WINDOWS\addyf.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundFusion] RunDll32 cwaprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEPOWER] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CePMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKey.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPadNF\TPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPATR10] C:\PROGRA~1\EzButton\CPATR10.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5200] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5200" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5200"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ink Monitor] C:\Program Files\EPSON\Ink Monitor\InkMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WG511WLU] C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG511\Utility\WG511WLU.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...ol_v1-0-3-9.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...81/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,19/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.mac...ash/swflash.cab

I have removed the R0 about ten times but it keeps coming back.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reed

#2 DawsonV5

DawsonV5

The Lurvely

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:22 PM

It seems a few had the same problem at this website.

http://www.computerc...postt52022.html

If you read a bit farther down a solution is given if not i can just post it for you.

"I just got rid of this problem on a customers computer. The services.exe inside the winnt\system32\inetdata folder is a false services.exe. I used the killbox (http://download.broadbandmedic.com) to kill this file. after it was killed windows thought it was the real services.exe so started a count down. during this one minute to shut down, i used hijack this to get rid of the offending entries in hijackthis (references to services.exe and the homepage). after this, i rebooted and was able to change the home page and it is still msn.com (or default) at this point. I'm running adaware and spybot right now, but i think the problem is solved."

#3 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:40 PM

Thanks...I have 2 services.exe one in windows\system32 and another in windows\system32\dllcache. The second one is smaller at 72kb, the first is larger at 100kb even though both were 99kb when created.

I have loked at the other forum but can not see reference to services.exe in my Hijack This logfile.

Could one of these be the offending file and if so, which one?

Thanks for the fast response by the way...Reed

#4 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:12 PM

Help!!!

I have also tried buster in safe mode after reading piles of others problems and trying to use that information to assist myself...still infected with pop-ups and hijacked webpage.....can anyone help? :scratchhead:

#5 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 10:01 AM

Bump

I have now tried various fixes based upon reading others' experiences in this forum. I have run Hijack, checked off the offending entries (at least the ones that make sense to me), booted into safe mode and run buster twice, CW Shredder, Ad-Aware, then run hijack again, deleted the temp and temporary internet files for every user, deleted several suspicious files, then looked in the registry for any "services" entries then rebooted my computer. I have done this about three times now and there is still no difference in my pop-ups and browser hijacking. Here is my log from HiJack This:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.0
Scan saved at 7:59:44 AM, on 7/24/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ipos.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\CePMTray.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPadNF\TPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apntex.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\EzButton\CPATR10.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE
C:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG511\Utility\WG511WLU.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\msoffice.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntwb.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Directory 2 for hijackthis.zip\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\etqhn.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://etqhn.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://etqhn.dll/index.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\etqhn.dll/sp.html#96676
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\etqhn.dll/sp.html#96676
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = res://etqhn.dll/index.html#96676
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {18BA6790-DA50-1A1A-0E2C-FC6CDFD533BF} - C:\WINDOWS\addyf.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AtiPTA] atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundFusion] RunDll32 cwaprops.cpl,CrystalControlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEPOWER] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CePMTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CeEKey.exe] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\E-KEY\CeEKey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPNF] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TouchPadNF\TPTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CPATR10] C:\PROGRA~1\EzButton\CPATR10.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus CX5200] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S10IC2.EXE /P19 "EPSON Stylus CX5200" /O6 "USB001" /M "Stylus CX5200"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Ink Monitor] C:\Program Files\EPSON\Ink Monitor\InkMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] c:\Program Files\MusicMatch\MusicMatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WG511WLU] C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG511\Utility\WG511WLU.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [_AntiSpyware] C:\Program Files\McAfee\McAfee AntiSpyware\MssCli.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntwb.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntwb.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg...ol_v1-0-3-9.cab
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcaf...81/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcaf...,19/mcgdmgr.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - https://download.mac...ash/swflash.cab

:bounce: I have also purchased McAfee spyware but it is of no help either.

I await your response...Thanks.

#6 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:36 PM

BUMP!!!

#7 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

BUMP!!!

This thing is peeling info off of my system faster than I cna beleive 12,500,000,000,000 bytes so far.

Help!!!!

#8 adimus

adimus

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 11:23 AM

Hello.

I am fixed finally!! I followed phone god's thread which was similar to mine. Once I knew the offending file names, this is the process I used, including the time travel test at the end:

"Hello please download the latest version of About:Buster and unzip it to your desktop. Donīt run it yet.

Now please move Hijack This to its own folder, for example: C:/HiJackThis/HiJackThis.exe
This way it can store backups that could be needed to fix anything in a later stage if something seems to be broken

How to use Ad-Aware to remove Spyware <= Please check this link for instructions on how to download, install and then use adaware. Donīt use it yet.
1 You already have Adaware installed. Make sure it's up to date. Just open Adaware and click on *Check for Updates Now* and then *Connect*. It will find a new reference-file. Click *ok* and let it download and install the updates by clicking on *Finish* .This will return you to the main screen. You should now see Reference File # : 01R334 24.07.2004 or higher listed.

2 Print out these instructions so you have them handy as most of the steps need to be done in safe mode and you may not be able to go online.

3. Next, go to Start->Run and type "Services.msc" (without quotes) then hit Ok
Scroll down and find the service called "Network Security Service". When you find it, double-click on it. In the next window that opens, click the Stop button, then click on properties and under the General Tab, change the Startup Type to Disabled. Now hit Apply and then Ok and close any open windows. This service is installed by the malware. If this service is not listed go ahead with the next step.

4. Reboot to Safe Mode
How to start the computer in
Safe mode

5. Make sure your PC is configured to show hidden files

Open Windows Explorer & Go to Tools > Folder Options. Click on the View tab and make sure that "Show hidden files and folders" is checked.
Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" and untick "hide extensions for known file types" . Now click "Apply to all folders"
Click "Apply" then "OK"

6.CLOSE ALL WINDOWS AND BROWSERS Scan with Hijack This and put checks next to all the following, then click "Fix Checked"

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINNT\system32\cmimd.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINNT\system32\cmimd.dll/sp.html#28129
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = res://cmimd.dll/index.html#28129
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINNT\system32\cmimd.dll/sp.html#28129
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {D2B7238E-2C0A-6C63-109D-CE5E7C0A8E20} - C:\WINNT\javaek32.dll (file missing)

7. Delete the following files if present.
C:\WINNT\system32\cmimd.dll
C:\WINNT\javaek32.dll

8. Double click AboutBuster.exe that you downloaded earlier. Click OK, click Start, then click OK. This will scan your computer for the bad files and delete them. Save the report(copy and paste into notepad or wordpad and save as a .txt file) and post a copy back here when you are done with all the steps.

9. Scan with Adaware and let it remove any bad files found.

10. Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press *ok* to remove:

Temporary Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin

11. Reboot to normal mode, scan again with Hijack This and post a new log here.

12. Finally, do an online scan HERE. Let it remove any infected files found.

Replace Deleted Files
It is also possible that the infection may have deleted up to three files from your system. If these files are present, to be safe I suggest you overwrite them with a new copy.

Go here: http://www.spywarein...es.html#control and download the version of control.exe for your operating system. If you are running Windows 2000, copy it to c:\winnt\system32\. For Windows XP, copy it to c:\windows\system32\.

Download the Hoster from here: http://members.aol.c...dbee/hoster.zip
Press 'Restore Original Hosts' and press 'OK'
Exit Program.

If you have Spybot S&D installed you may also need to replace one file.
Go here: http://www.spywarein...s.html#sdhelper
and download SDHelper.dll. Copy the file to the folder containing you Spybot S&D program (normally C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy)

Additionally, Please check your ActiveX security settings. They may have been changed by this CWS variant to allow ALL ActiveX!! If they have been changed, reset your active x security settings in IE as recommended.

Thanks to mmx? for the fix and thanks for having this forum!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button