No Internet explorer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Funzo

Funzo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:48 AM

Recently one of my friends had been infected with spyware, unfortunately she does not have complete spyware knowledge.

At the current state, the only information I have gathered from her are :

She cannot use Internet explorer, but her internet works ( Used MSN to check this )
She used to have IMesh
She used to have HotBar ( Which I almost definately presume is spyware correct me if I am wrong )

Has some startup messages that come up with something to do with : A , ATP & Icwconn1.

Now I told her to give me a list of what is within her taskmanager, almost all of it looked legit except for a few which I have lost the naming of.

I also told her to run CSsheddar, spy-bot & ad-aware, which she has multiple times getting only small insignificat spyware.

Now since she was only able to use her computer tonight for a short amount of time to give me that information that is all I know for the time being, I shall post more when I have found more information on it, and if so how I delt with it ( Somewhat hard if I have no access to her computer as of yet )

She wishes not to format, nor create a new user and so far looks like I will be unable to visit her myself to do the work.

Thx in advance.

And I now realise this post should not be here , but cannot move the topic to appropraite section because im not an mod so plz dont flame .

Edited by Funzo, 19 July 2004 - 06:15 AM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:16 AM

Moved. No flaming here! :D

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:48 AM

Howdy,
When I had what sounds like the same problem and due to the same reason I learned that two programs (if you want to call them that) when removed corrupted the Internet Explorer. I too was able to download and use MSN but lost the Internet connection of Internet Explorer. This happen to me twice in one week on two different Windows Xp computers I was troubleshooting for Spyware removal.

I had to fix the corruption and reinstall the TCP/IP protocol. It sounds as if you have the same problem and if you have Windows Xp, go to www.microsoft.com and in the upper right side type in the following article number 811259 and on the page that comes up, click on the first one that says 811259-How to determine and recover from Winsock2.corruption...

Then scroll down till you see "How to recover from Winsock2.corruption" and that is the steps you need to follow as outlined. Just beneath that it will also say "Install TCP/IP and that you need to do that right after you do the recovering steps.

Keep us posted...

#4 Funzo

Funzo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

Thx for the infomation but currently I am at school and she attends a different school to I, only new information I have received that she uses Windows 98, which to all my knownledge I have had no spyware related issues over the years with this operating system ( On one of my older computers ).

#5 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 08:50 PM

Hi,
Okay, I never had to do a Winsock repair on Windows 98 "Yet"...The steps are just a tad bit differently. The information I came across to do so was found at:
www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.html (if you print it out, beware it's 16 pages long)...Scope it out...Keep us posted...

#6 Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:01 AM

Hi,
Even though I'm more sure about the Winsock idea than anything else, I still wanted to atleast make you aware and offer the thought for you to try one more option before trying the Winsock repair. Since she has Windows 98, go to add/remove programs, click once to highlight the Internet Explorer, then right click and up should come a short menu with an option to repair. Click on it, and when finished, reboot and see if that corrects it. If not then if it was I, the Winsock repair would be the road to go down...

#7 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:00 PM

Hi,
Since she has Windows 98, go to add/remove programs, click once to highlight the Internet Explorer, then right click and up should come a short menu with an option to repair.

That option is only available if running IE6 on 98.

Additional way to fix lsp stack http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Regards - Charles

#8 WyoCowboy

WyoCowboy

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:32 PM

If MSN works, sounds like the IP stack is ok, so reinstalling it is probably a waste of time. Exactly what happens when she tries to use IE?

#9 Charlesvar

Charlesvar

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:44 PM

If MSN works, sounds like the IP stack is ok, so reinstalling it is probably a waste of time. Exactly what happens when she tries to use IE?

You're right about the LSP stack.

MSN has it's own Browser, so trying a repair of IE is in order.

Regards - Charles

Edited by Charlesvar, 23 July 2004 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button