Photo

Help!Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 dudewheresmyhomepage

dudewheresmyhomepage

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:03 PM

Hello all smarties!

I don't know if this is related or resulting from recent trojan activity on my machine, but I have a problem that is not life-threatening but it is quite annoying since it seems to be affecting the performance of my pc (can't play fun games! ARggh!). I posted on this problem in the malware removal forum but I then realized its possible it does not directly relate to that topic, so I'm posting here in the PC trouble-shooting forum

The story: I've been wrestling with trojan on my machine for about 2 weeks now and I think I've finally got the situation under control, thanks to one excellently helpful post by bobO on how to find and fix a sneaky hidden CWSearchx related trojan 57,433 byte .dll allowing me to get my machine apparently clean. However, during this process I had a friend of mine take the machine into his computer shop to hook the C: drive. No go; for some reason he couldn't get the diagnostic machine to recognize the drive, he thought it might have been related to the fact that it was the original drive that came with the computer (HP Pavilion 8668C, running win98--please control the snickering :D ) and it might have required some kind of HP setup or something. So he put the drive back in my machine and I proceeded to investigate and hopefully fix the trojan problem...so far so good....

Then I went to load up my Call of Duty game and the system froze up. I tried again and same thing. So I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it but the system would hang during the install. Upon snooping around my system a little, I noticed two messages in the performance tab of the system properties: "Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance" and "Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility-mode file system". I've gone through the Microsoft troubleshooting articles on this (130179 and 151911) with no luck: as far as I can tell the hard disk controllers are there and not corrupted, the messages don't tell me that any specific file or driver is causing the problem, I don't see any yellow exclamation points in the device manager, my registry does not have the NOIDE value in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\IOS, and the boot log does not have any failures listed in it. The microsoft troubleshooter does mention to check out the ios.log if the Esdi_506 shows an "INITCOMPLETESUCCESS" message, but it doesn't go any further and I couldn't find anything that looked like an obvious clue in the ios.log file.

So to make a long story short I have been unsuccessful at troubleshooting this little problem...not only have I not fixed it I still have no idea what is causing it.

I told the story about my friend removing the hard drive because that is the hard drive that is now in DOS compatibility-mode, so I was wondering if there is any way it could have been hooked up differently when he replaced the drive back into my machine and cause this problem. I don't know a lot about this but my guess is that if that had been the case one or more of my drives would just not be functioning at all instead of being put in does compatibility mode.

If anyone has any clue how to walk me through ferreting out the cause of this problem and fixing it, I would be extremely grateful for your time!
:wave:

#2 dudewheresmyhomepage

dudewheresmyhomepage

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:16 PM

BUMP

I've tried looking at just about everything I can find about this but haven't been able to find anything that helps solve the problem or even narrow down the exact cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button