Photo

Why Not To Download Popup Blockers, Msn, Google...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Drastik

Drastik

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:14 PM

You dont think these companys just give out something like that for nothing do you?
they are getting something from it and thats your info, i downloaded google once and uninstalled it right away because i didnt like all the sh** it was running in the background... i would scan with hijackthis and find a load of stuff related to google even though im not even in IE.
Popup blockers and stuff like that is a quick sceme to get you to download it. they wouldnt let you download something like that unless they were getting something in return.
Id rather have popups, than have aload of crap running in the background when im not even using it!
wonder what that could be huh...... :scratchhead: ;)

Edited by Drastik, 19 July 2004 - 03:15 PM.

#2 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:51 PM

You have all sorts of Windows services and processes running in the background, and should also have an antivrus and a firewall in the background...

I find the Google toolbar extremely useful but naturally the choice is up to you.

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#3 Drastik

Drastik

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:39 PM

Lol i saw what i saw and in the hijackthis log there was at least 4 lines with google in it....
Its a pile of crap...

Edited by Drastik, 19 July 2004 - 04:40 PM.

#4 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 04:57 PM

Yes, there is a line for each of its functions that are available via context menus or buttons.

UNITE

#5 Drastik

Drastik

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:17 PM

Yes, there is a line for each of its functions that are available via context menus or buttons.

So your telling me that none of them would be any sort of info grabbing?
Anyway, why would i want that sh** running in the back ground when im not using it.
I dont trust it and you can say its not, but you didnt make the toolbars, and i didnt aswell, but why would they give you the toolbars? they must be getting something out of it....

#6 KinG

KinG

Hmm...It's always raining...

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:49 PM

You should try an alternative, but I suggest you look into it more, like memory usage. You may not find another that runs on lower usage than Google. That is only an example. Also, many things in HijackThis are related to IE, but may not be as a running program. It could just be a component of it. As cmn said, it could be a function, which does not necessarily mean it's something that's "running".

#7 shalafi

shalafi

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:21 PM

www.mozilla.com/products/firefox

#8 Psykel

Psykel

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:04 AM

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html

and the likes Are all in relation to

O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with them being there, if you now anything at all about code, dlls, IE, and how they function together you would know that these (in particular) are not bad items, nor are they "running in the background... i would scan with hijackthis and find a load of stuff related to google even though im not even in IE." ..... Hijack is showing you exactly what it says "Extra context menu item:" which is a relation to how IE is CONFIGURED, there for it is not something that is running(fundamentally), even when IE is OPEN... note the referance to "res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html" this is just a function call to the BHO, when ever a user presses this button on there browser, it sends a command action to the dll using the cmbacklinks.html as the arguement, which tells the dll that it needs to load this page into the browser. It is part of how the toolbar functions, and is just a "dormant" code string, HJT identifies ALL these... good and bad, you just got to have the expertise to what they are.

As for "Popup blockers and stuff like that is a quick sceme to get you to download it. they wouldnt let you download something like that unless they were getting something in return.' In google's case(which is a great tool IMHO too) there is no gimmick, it provides users with an easy way to access the awesome searching functionality of the site.... with the option of a pop up blocker just to add a good service to it. Now they do collect AYNONOMOUS information about which sites you use or things you search for through the tool, but only to make their search engine
and the toolbar work better for you. BUT - they explicitly give you the option to disable even this at install, one of the first things they ask you, not to mention they tell you exactly what they collect.

Do some your research before you start jumping to crazy ideas.....

"Id rather have popups, than have aload of crap running in the background..."
let that happen and you'll be seeing a lot more that you actually should be concerned about in your HJT logs.

#9 Drastik

Drastik

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:07 AM

Wow you posted up the lines.... that doesnt make any difference, im saying that these toolbars are suppose to benifit us, but really its to bennifit them.... there little spying tool, used to look into your browser and see what sites you mostly go on and stuff flike that,.... its a info grabber and id rather have popups than that crap.

#10 wreck

wreck

Always Learning!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:06 AM

With all due respect Drastik, ALL sites that exist on the Internet are in someway beneficial to its creator in some way (even SWI)! Google's benefit by providing their tool bar and pop-up blocker to the public is to get more people to use their search engine. Like ALL search engines, they benefit from advertising on their site. The google tool bar will let you turn off its "spyware" by disabling the page reference tool that tracks the sites you visit. None of the respected spyware prevention tools consider Google a threat when you do this. NOTHING IS FREE! Rest assured that if it is recommended here by people such as cnm -- it's safe.

Posted Image
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight -- it's the size of the fight in the dog."

#11 Psykel

Psykel

• Retired Staff
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:24 AM

*Takes Deep Breath*

Ahhh forget it...

not worth trying to repeat myself or what others have all tried to point out...

Did you even READ the whole post I made?

" its a info grabber and id rather have popups than that crap. "
Once again, let this happen and your dead set bound to get some sort of infection... pop-ups are a common reason for spyware infection, NOT the google tool bar...

**Just a little note, I am a decently high level programmer with ALOT of experience with spyware, dlls, and how code functions, not to mention I work for MS.... I didn't just "post the lines", I tried to explain it easily to you that your totally off base accusations were wrong. If you want me to decompile the dlls, do an analysis and PROVE it technically to you, I will, though I doubt you would get it all, and I don't really wanna waste the time...

But what ever...

Edited by Psykel, 20 July 2004 - 10:24 AM.

#12 Drastik

Drastik

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:34 AM

*Takes Deep Breath*

Ahhh forget it...

not worth trying to repeat myself or what others have all tried to point out...

Did you even READ  the whole post I made?

" its a info grabber and id rather have popups than that crap. " 
Once again, let this happen and your dead set bound to get some sort of infection... pop-ups are a common reason for spyware infection, NOT the google tool bar...

**Just a little note, I am a decently high level programmer with ALOT of experience with spyware, dlls, and how code functions, not to mention I work for MS.... I didn't just "post the lines", I tried to explain it easily to you that your totally off base accusations were wrong. If you want me to decompile the dlls, do an analysis and PROVE it technically to you, I will, though I doubt you would get it all, and I don't really wanna waste the time...

But what ever...

Negative my dear SWI-er,
I have spy-sweeper, it has a cookie shield, memory sheild, and a homepage shield so im pretty much protected... any tracking cookies come on my computer, bam! there gone.... any trojans, registary keys or any sort of spyware, bam! there gone too. it detects more spyware on your comp that adaware and spybot failed to do so....
Cookies, spyware, malware and all try and come onto my system, but they will just get deleted on the spot....
And i got this after i deleted the google sh** bar, and it has worked like a dream.

Me have problems if i let popups come up? :rofl:

Edited by Drastik, 20 July 2004 - 10:35 AM.

#13 Drastik

Drastik

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:37 AM

Oh and you say you a programmer?
You must be proud, but the question is did you make google toolbar?
If your answer is 'yes' then ill rest my case, unless your words mean useless as the google toolbar....
bye!

#14 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:47 AM

This thread is downright silly.
Drastik, You need to read up on BHOs. toolbars, context menus. There are standard ways these are implemented. HijackThis lists the registry entries. Registry entries are usually not programs, just data for programs to use.

Read Merijn's HijackThis tutorial:
http://www.spywarein...ogtutorial.html
(That link will be very slow to open at the moment, but seems to be working).

Closing this thread before people lose all patience.

UNITE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button