• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

#1 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:05 PM

Meandor here again. I downloaded as suggested from the Merijn's Sig. site. The same Error message #5 is coming up but the previous entries
mentioned as F0 and F2 are not showing.
When I scan I immediately receive the error message and the deep tone sound.
When I click on OK the scan completes its run with No suspicious
item showing up.
I still have V197.7 available as I didn't uninstall it. Is it possible
error 5 could be due to a conflict between the two versions?
Maybe a dumb question but I have to ask. Thanks

#2 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

Just Another Old-time Newbie.....

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 03:13 AM

Hi, Meandor ! :wave:

Gee, I don't know what to say. As you can probably tell by my join date and the amount of my entries, I'm kind of new here myself!

I just downloaded two more copies of HJT 1.98 using the links in Merijn's Signature. One was from his entry on July 1st, and the other from his July 2nd entry. I thought that maybe the earlier one might in some way be the "corrupted" one that I had trouble with at first.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, they both downloaded "clean" with no problems. They both completed scans with no "errors" or other problems. And they both were deleted with no problems.

Perhaps, by making this entry, it will "bump" this thread to the top of the page, and someone with a LOT more knowledge and experience than me will read it and be able to help you.

By The Way (BTW), I still have v.1.97 on my computer "just in case". As far as I can tell, there aren't any conflicts between the two versions on my computer.

Good Luck !

Robin :wave:

REMEMBER : The ONLY Good MalWare, Is DEAD MalWare

#3 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:38 AM

Hi Robin,
I tried you idea of removing and downloading 1.98 again from Merijn's Sig. Same thing, Error#5 hits as soon as I scan. F0 and F2 .ini related finds are gone so the man found something. It appears Merjin will follow up after he returns from Hol. time. Judging from his July 2 note he's well aware of the error problem. I understand you're no longer getting the error after a new 1.98 download. Thanks for your input.
Meandor

#4 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 02:25 PM

After "racking my brain", the only thing that I can think of that might help is for you to Un-Install HJT 1.98 and Re-Start your computer. Then try downloading and installing it again.

Usually when I have a problem with a program or application, I'll un-install/delete it, re-start (re-boot) my computer, then re-download and install it. That usually, but not always, seems to do the trick. Although, sometimes I have to hunt down "logs" and "back-ups" for that Program/App, and delete them too.

Good Luck and God Speed !!

#5 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:52 AM

Hi Robin,
Well I tried your suggestion, in fact I logged off and re-started several times. As well deleted and downloaded/installed V1.98 from Merijn's
Sig. an equal number of times. Unfortunately Error #5 is still loud and clear. I even cleared all items from my ignore list and re-entered all to no avail. Error #5 likes my system.
I noticed a minor thing on the Ignore list there is no scroll down arrow on the page. The up arrow is there as is the moving bar in the scroll, but no down arrow. I can move the bar down to the bottom OK. The last item on my Ignore list is not visible. I don't know if that's unique to my V1.98 or not. I'll wait for the return of the expert as I'm out of ideas.
V197.7 functions OK. Thanks for your input.

#6 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 03:22 AM

Hi, (again), Meandor ! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your continued problems with HJT v.1.98. I would suggest starting a new thread in a more appropriate forum on this site.

Perhaps at the "Software" forum located at:
" http://www.spywarein...hp?showforum=27 "
(without the quote marks)

Or maybe at the "Malware Removal" forum at:
http://www.spywarein...hp?showforum=18

Or maybe it would be better just to check the list of available forums on the main forums index page.

As for the "no down scroll arrow" problem, try "grabbing" the bottom of the window pane and pull down. I don't have anything listed on my ignore list, so there are no scroll arrows at all. The only reason I mentioned the re-sizing idea, is because when I go to the "Miscellaneous Tools" page, I had to pull down the bottom end to find the "Un-Install" button.

I apologize for wasting your time with my other suggestions. It's a case of one well-meaning "Newbie" trying to help another "Newbie".

Anyway, for what its worth coming from "one well-meaning Newbie" to another, try starting a new thread in one of the other forums on this site.

Once again, Good Luck and GodSpeed !!

Robin Hickman :wave:

#7 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 11:22 AM

Robin, You're not wasting my time I always learn a few new things from feedback. I've stayed with this particular forum as it pertains to HijackThis V1.98 in particular. I looked at other forums but they didn't have many comments or issues about V1.98.
Reference the Ignore list. I was surprised to read you have zero content in your Ignore list. Where do you place all the scan finds that
are legit which HJT will detect? Those are the legit registry values you want HJT to ignore when you do each new scan. I have about 30 registry finds which V197.7 and earlier versions detected, plus an additional 6, V1.98 detected. I know what they are and I don't want HJT to pick them up on each new scan. If there's a change in any Ignore list item HJT will pick it up. Maybe I misunderstood you?
As for the down arrow on the scroll it's not a biggie I just noticed it to be
missing. I did play with the page length and width before mentioning the missing down arrow but to no avail. I think it's just a bug. I didn't
really notice if it was missing on any other downloads of V1.98, I've been concentrating on the error message issue. Upon re-reading Merijn's July 2 post I think he's saying he's aware of the Error 5 problem and he'll look into it when he returns.
I still have V197.7 on my system and it's working just fine, no runs, hits or errors. Thanks for your feedback

#8 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

Hello Merijin,
Your Hotfix on HJT v1.98 seems to have worked for some, however I'm still receiving Error #5 at the beginning of each scan. Once OK is pressed the scan is completed. I uninstalled an early V1.98 then reinstalled from your July 2/04 Signature. Error #5 still persists.
Items F0 and F2 mentioned by others has cleared, only Error 5 remains.
One other observation I noticed: I have 36 items listed in my Ignore list. There is NO down arrow showing, only the up arrow and scroll bar. I have 3 items below the lower edge of the Ignore box which I can't scroll into view. The scroll bar will move down until it bottoms at the lower edge of the box, I know the items are there as I can see the top of the letters, I just can't scroll them into view.
I have v1.97.7 still on my system, there's no problem scrolling or viewing all items in its Ignore list. I haven't read other posts where this problem has been mentioned. This isn't a big issue for me, just an observation. Thanks

#9 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:26 PM

B U M P ! !

HI !! :wave:

Just Wondering If The "Final" Fix Had Been Applied . . . . .

#10 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:55 PM

Hi Robin, meandor here.
I just had an email notification there was a response to the HJT 1.98 question. As you can see in my last post I'm basically asking the same question. I haven't had a response about my error issue nor the business about the down arrow on the Ignore List page. I have tried downloads for 1.98 from a few other sites which offer the Hotfix version. They aren't any different, as I still receive the Error #5 message upon opening a scan. I get a message in red across the top line, .INI.....2/7 . I don't know what this means other than maybe there's a problem with an .INI file. I've looked into my Registry at \Inimapping\ , but nothing stands out, this is just a guess on my part as I'm not really Registry savy. I haven't read anywhere about a final solution HJT version for 1.98. I've been watching closely but so far no response. As well I've been reading other forum sites for any info. The ones I checked are quiet about a final fix as well.
I'm relying on my v197.7. All is OK with it. I'm just missing any improvements v1.98 may offer.

#11 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:35 PM

Information please from anyone out there. When may we expect the final fix for HijackThis version 1.98? The current Hotfix version of 1.98 still has a few problems. Is anyone working on this?

#12 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:00 AM

Hello, Meandor !! :wave:

Long time, no chat !

I doubt that this will "solve" your HJT 1.98 problem, but it's just "goofy" enough to work.

I was visiting the Major Geeks website yesterday, looking for some free apps to download for a friend visiting from Arkansas. One of the programs that I ran across was HJT 1.98.

The reason WHY I'm bringing this up, is MG's title for the download:

"HijackThis 1.98 (Hotfix)"

The most interesting word in the title is "HOTFIX". I don't really know if it means anything or not. I just thought that maybe somebody finally "fixed" it. Why it would be on Major Geeks instead of here is w-a-y beyond me !! :scratchhead:

Here's the link/address :

LINK : http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155

I know that it is a somewhat improbable "longshot", but if you've got the time and the inclination, give it a try.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance to you.

Good Luck and Godspeed !!

#13 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 01:22 PM

Howdy, Robin,
Thanks for your reply, you're the only response I've had from this site. The v1.98 Hotfix on Major Geek is just one of a number of sites that HijackThis downloads are available from. I've tried his and it's the same fix "Merijn" applied and released back on July2. I've also been working with "Jim E" at http://www.aumba.org. They also have a mirror of HJT downloads. This is not the so called permanent fix we've been hoping for. Posts I've read at other sites believe Merijn has folded his tent and what we have is all we're going to get. I truly hope not, as there are still a couple? of bugs in v1.98 in it's current form which need to be addressed. I know it's not right in my system and I've communicated with others who are experiencing problems. I believe from what I'm reading and have been told not everyone is experiencing the same problems, possibly variations depend on the operating system being used
I was experimenting a bit, I removed every item from the Ignore List in V1.97.7 and did a scan with v1.98 and another using v1.97.7 I was surprised there were differences in what was found by each scan. Some items were the same in both scans and other items were missed by one scan and picked up by the other. one or two items which were picked up using v1.97.7 were missed using v1.98, The new version did pick up additional items not in v1.97.7 I would expect this as v1.98 does have new criteria. so probably scans differently
One thing which is consistent, the Error 5 message only occurs using v1.98, as well as the missing down arrow on the Ignore page only shows with v1.98.
I believe the error message is somehow is related to system.ini.
I've asked around quite abit, no one has any further suggestions, and as each day goes by with out mention of a "Final Fix for v1.98" many are thinking there may not be one.
Thanks for your continued interest
meandor out.

#14 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 July 2004 - 04:22 PM

meandor back again. Sorry to keep bothering you Robin, I don't have any answers, but I thought I'd pass on some further info regarding 1.97.7 vs. 1.98.
I've been reluctant to uninstall 1.97.7 from my system as I know it works without problems. However I located a few sites which still offer and recommend 1.97.7 as a download because of problems with 1.98, I feel comfort in the fact I'm not the only one still having problems. Anyways as an experiement I uninstalled 1.97.7 completely, even went into the Registry and cleaned out 2 remnant key values which remained after uninstalling. I went to a site offering the 1.98 Hotfix download (I believe it was Major Geek's). No problems completing and installing 1.98. Unfortunately the few bugs I've been experiencing all along were still there, error 5 etc. Carrying on I uninstalled 1.98 completely, located v1.97.7 downloaded and reinstalled. No problems at All scans ran correctly, found all known objects found previously. I loaded these into the Ignore List. Each subsequent scans were clean. This was just an exercise to prove to myself there wasn't a problem or conflict having both version resident in my computer.
I'll sit tight and continue to check back periodically, perhaps the final fix is just around the corner. We can always hope.
I do hope someone else will pick up the torch and carry on with HJT. I've asked around through other forums, there doesn't seem to be another program which does the work HJT covers. It's apparently unique. Maybe someone can hog tie Merijn to a post and say carry on regardless with HJT.

#15 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:23 AM

Hello, Meandor ! :wave:

Sorry to see that you are still having problems with HJT 1.98.

I don't know that much about computers, so bear with me. I don't know that much about how these forums work, either.

I do think that it is safe to say that the people who know about these types of problems probably aren't reading this particular thread. Since this thread is in the "Software Updates" forum and they already know about (and have downloaded) the update, their eyes automatically pass over this thread searching for the next new listing.

Therefore I'm recommending that you start a NEW thread in a different and more appropriate forum. That way, you at least have a CHANCE that someone who could help would actually read the thread, see what the problem is, and, perhaps, come up with a solution for it. {NOTE: I suppose you could even start a new thread in this forum with a title like "Major ERROR with HJT 1.98.....HELP !!" }

All I ask at this point, is to leave a note here as to where you started the new thread and what the title of it is. That way I could go check it out, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

If nothing else, maybe, just maybe, other people who are experiencing the same "Error" will read the thread, know that they are not alone in their experiences, and start talking about it.

Who knows, maybe you'll be able to compare notes and figure out what you all have in common as far as your hardware, software, etc. and be able to figure things out through the process of elimination.

I do wish you a speedy solution !!!

#16 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 09:47 AM

These posts moved to this new thread in PC Troubleshooting, for greater visibility.
Moved from HijackThis 1.98

Microsoft MVP Windows Security 2005-2006
How camest thou in this pickle? -- William Shakespeare:(1564-1616)
The various helper groups here
UNITE

#17 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:16 AM

meandor here. Thanks for the move CNM maybe greater exposure
will help.

#18 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:03 PM

Just a friendly little B U M P !!

Thank You, CNM, for moving this part of the old thread over to this forum !!

For those of you who are reading about this for the first time, this was originally part of the "Hijack This 1.98" thread started by Merijn in the "Software Update Announcements" forum.

The temporary "fix", or "patch" that Merijn applied to the (then) new 1.98 version of "Hijack This" apparently didn't work for everyone. The temp "fix" was put into place on July 2nd, just as Merijn was leaving on holiday.

Meandor is one of the people that the temp "fix" did NOT work for. He needs your help. As far as we know, Merijn hasn't applied a permanent fix yet. We don't even know if he is aware that there still is a problem.

Would one of you kind souls PLEASE help Meandor? My pathetic little "Newbie" attempts at helping have only wasted Meandor's time. About the only thing I didn't suggest to him was to re-down-load v1.98 by using the v1.97's update function.

(and don't you know that I'm gonna kick myself in the butt if somebody suggests that, and it actually works !!)

Thanx, eveybody !!

#19 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:26 PM

meandor here again. I'm still trying to sort out MY problem with HijackThis v1.98 and Error #5. I have been able to prove the problem I'm having is definitely with my computer.
I had the opportunity to download and install v1.98 Hotfix on two different computers today and HJT scans perfectly with no errors, so there is a problem within my unit.
Now I'm searching for some input that will give me a clue where to look any ideas will be appreciated.
I'm running Window XP Home with SP1 my computer is working fine no other problems are apparent. I can run HJT v1.97.7 without as problem.
Anyone any ideas? Thanks

#20 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:03 AM

meandor, sorry for not noting this thread before. I'm already working on HT 1.98.1 since I did quite some sloppy coding, even in the 1.98 hotfix. :(

Can you give me the complete error #5 you are getting? I need to know where in the code it's coming from.

Also, for all the resizing bugs, check out the 1.98.1 beta here:
http://www.spywarein...is1981_beta.zip
(please don't spread this link, it's not ready yet)

#21 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 03:11 PM

Welcome Back, MERIJN !! :wave:

#22 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:07 PM

HI !! :wave:

Just a friendly little " BUMP " so folks will know that while there is still a little problem with HJT 1.98, Merijn is currently working on it !!

Thanx !!

#23 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:20 PM

meandor here, July23/04, 11:15 PDT

Sorry Merijn I missed your post of July 21/04 regarding my ongoing Error 5 message.
As requested here is the message I receive at the beginning of each scan. Once I click on OK the scan completes just fine.
I have installed the same "Hotfix" version on two other computers and both scan through OK with out the Error 5 message coming up. As a result of this I've been thinking it's my computer that's the odd one out. I look forward to your reply.

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modRegistry_IniGetString(sFile=system.ini, sSection=boot, sValue=Shell)
Error #5 - Invalid procedure call or argument

Please email me at merijn@spywareinfo.com, reporting the following:
* What you were doing when the error occurred
* How you can reproduce the error
* A complete HijackThis scan log, if possible

Windows version: Windows NT 5.01.2600
MSIE version: 6.0.2800.1106
HijackThis version: 1.98.0

This message has been copied to your clipboard.

#24 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

For Robin Hickman, Re: Your post July 20/04 08:30 PM
Meandor here. I had attempted to update from the v1.97.7 screen early on, infact that was my first attempt to upgrade. Recently, on the off chance I would have a better result I tried again to download through the update bar of v1.97.7 with the same results. My infamous Error 5 is alive and well and following my every move. I was pleased to receive the post from Merijn July 21/04, and look forward to HiackThis v1.98.1 being available.

Thanks Robin for your continued interest for my problem. Please don't think you were wasting my time because you weren't. They were all worthwhile suggestions, some I had tried already, one or two others I hadn't, but I did follow up on them. I appreciate the fact you were trying to help.
Ciao, Mel Shepherd, aka meandor

#25 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 July 2004 - 04:27 PM

Merijn, Re:Post July 21/04 @ 05:30 AM

meandor here. "Resizing bug" corrected with 1981 B. Thanks.

#26 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 09:34 PM

Hi, Mel !! :wave:

Just a friendly little "BUMP" !! :whome:

Robni Hickman :wave:

#27 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:07 PM

Hello Robin,
meandor got your "Bump" note. You're one up on me what does "bump" mean? I've read a few of your posts which use the word bump.
I've been checking back regularly hoping there would be a 1.98.1 lurking here. I'm guessing when Merijn has it ready they'll be a notice posted on Software Updates.
I'm still trying to learn the various protocalls and procedures in this forum. I guess you learn by trial, error and feedback.

Ciao, Mel aka meandor

#28 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 04:35 AM

meandor, can you post the complete contents of your system.ini (should be in the Windows folder) and it's attributes? (i.e. read-only, system, whatnot)

#29 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 10:11 AM

Merijn reference your post, July 27, 2004, 04:35 AM

Merijn, Re: system.ini file. What you see below are the file contents as copied to clipboard.

; for 16-bit app support
[drivers]
wave=mmdrv.dll
timer=timer.drv
[mci]
[driver32]
[386enh]
woafont=dosapp.FON
EGA80WOA.FON=EGA80WOA.FON
EGA40WOA.FON=EGA40WOA.FON
CGA80WOA.FON=CGA80WOA.FON
CGA40WOA.FON=CGA40WOA.FON

I couldn't copy the attribute info so I typed the info.

Attributes as follows:
- NO check in, Read Only
- NO check in, Hidden

Advanced Attributes:
- Check in, File is ready for archiving
- Check in, For fast searching allow Index Servicing to index this file
- Check in, Compress contents to save disk space.

I don't know if it's important but I have the Indexing Service "Disabled"
on my computer. This was a Tweak I applied Feb 4/04 after reading about it at www.tweak.com

I hope this is the information you've requested
meandor

#30 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 02:47 PM

That seems normal enough. Possibly the compressing of the file is causing problems, but I don't think that's it.

Can you temporarily rename the file (system.ini.bak or something) and scan again? If the error still occurs then it's not something with the file but with a different part of the code.

#31 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 07:31 PM

meandor here. for Merijn - Re: your last post.

Following the instructions in your post, I renamed system.ini to system.ini.bak. I re-scanned using 1.98.1, the scan completed without an error message.
I changed the file name back to system.ini, scanned again, voila the error message returned.
Carrying on, with regards to your comment, "compressing the file may be the problem" I removed the check in Compress contents etc. left the name as system.ini and re-scanned again. I'm happy to say there was no Error. The scan completed as designed. To prove the point I re-checked the compression option, scanned again. The error message returned.
I guess the question now is what has compressing the file got to do with it?
I haven't studied the advanced attributes of every file in my system, but while in WINDOWS folder I checked out a few other .ini files. Each had a check in Compress contents etc. I think it may be safe to say the compression option is checked in the Advanced Attributes of most files.
As for C:\WINDOWS\system.ini I've left the Compress option unchecked for now, until I hear back from you. Things are looking good.
I appreciate the assistance you've been providing Merijn. Thank you.

Mel Shepherd aka meandor
Vancouver, Canada
:lol:

#32 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

Hi, Meandor !! :wave:

Tell Mel, that the term "bump" means to add a new entry to a forum thread for the sole, or primary, purpose of "bumping" that thread to the top (beginning) of that forum.

The threads in a forum are usually (by default) indexed newest-to-oldest, by the date/time of the newest entry. A new entry in a thread moves ("bumps") that thread to the top of the forum index.

Not every visitor to a forum is interested in, or takes the time, checking out what's on page two, or three, or four. But every visitor to a forum automatically reads page ONE. So, all of the newest entries get the most "eyeballs" on them. Which, in turn, means that there is a greater likelihood that someone who might have an "answer" would have a greater chance of seeing the "problem".

"Bumping" is not something that should be done on a regular basis as it might be viewed by some as being "a little pushy" or "cutting into line". :grrr:

And, Yes, as a matter of fact, this entry will move ("bump") this thread to the top of page one !!

{NOTE TO THE PURISTS OUT THERE : This really doesn't "qualify" as a "bump" because the primary purpose of this entry was merely to explain the term, "Bump".} :whistle:

{ From deep in the heart of "God's Country": Eugene, Oregon !! }

#33 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 11:34 PM

Hello Robin, Thanks for the heads up re- BUMP. I'm not at all familiar with all the jargon but your explanation makes sense.
Re: my on going topic, if you've been reading the posts between myself and Merijn you'll see we're getting positive results. Since you've been following this error problem I'm having, perhaps you can do me a favour and check one of the attributes in the system.ini file on your computer.
Look at C:\WINDOWS\system.ini. Right click on the system.ini file, click on Properties, then Advanced. In Advanced Attributes see if you have a check mark on "Compress contents to save disk space" and let me know please. For some reason this seems to be part of my error problem. My files are optioned for Compression. With compression, when I scan using 1.98.1 I get the error. If I'm not optioned for Compression the scan runs through without an error. I'm anxious to read Merijn's reply. I don't understand why the Compression option should make a difference. I'm interested in how your file is optioned, if I remember correctly when you installed the 1.98 Hotfix your problems cleared up One other question, are you running Win'XP Home with SP1? Different OS may react differently.
Thanks Robin.

Mel aka meandor

#34 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 04:11 PM

meandor, thanks a LOT for bearing with me through this. I've enabled the compression option on system.ini on my own system and indeed HT produces the same error as your copy did.
I tracked it down to a line that re-sets the attributes on the file (HT temporarily removes any attributes to prevent getting access denied and sets them back when finished), it seems the 'compression' flag is incompatible with Visual Basic. :lol:

I've uploaded a new beta, can you try and see if this one works ok? (With the compression flag set to enabled on system.ini)

http://www.richardth...is1981_beta.zip

#35 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:01 PM

Merijn - Re: Your post.

Looks as if you have a winner here.
I optioned system.ini to allow for compression of the file. Downloaded/Installed your newest Beta version.
There was NO error message while scanning.

The scroll bar down arrow is also OK, as it was on the initial 1.98.1 Beta.

I wish I had a better understanding of programming concepts, your brief explanation made sense to me upto:
"The compression flag seems incompatible with Visual Basic" What is Visual Basic?

The important thing, you identified and solved the problem.
What can I say but thanks for all the work you've put into this project and your interest solving my issues.
Is this Beta version now ready for release, or do you still have more to do?

Ciao, Mel Shepherd, meandor

#36 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:19 PM

meandor back: to Merijn a follow up to my last post.

After advising you all seemed OK with your lastest Beta an new error message
came in. Error #75
I was trying various features of HJT and was attempting to back up into HJT Back Up. An error meassage popped up, "Error 75". Unfortunately before I fully digested what it said I clicked OK. The item an R0:
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main, Local Page=
disappeared from the scan screen, but it didn't go into a back up folder. A new folder was created but it's empty.
I don't have any items available to attempt another Back Up so I can't provide you with more info. It didn't copy the error 75 to my clipboard. When I pasted from Clipboard all I received was another copy of the Error 5 message I had sent you earlier. I'm sorry I wasn't more observant but there you are.

For whatever reason I had duplicate R0 items of HKCU\...............Local Page =
so I decided to place one into back up. I don't recall this happening with the previous version of 1.98 nor Beta 1.98.1 . I carried out similar tests with those versions to verify everything was working.
And yes, there is a check in the option "Make backups before fixing"
Any suggestions?

meandor.

#37 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hi, Merijn ! :wave:

I looked at my "System.ini" but didn't see anything in the "notepad" that referred to "Disk compression".

So I went the "easy" way: I opened the "Properties" window for my "Local Disk (C:)" on the "My Computer" window.

The "Compress Drive To Save Disk Space" (lower left-hand corner of window) is UN-Checked.

{ NOTE : I have a 120GB Hard Drive (with 96GB of free space), so I'm not hurting for Disk Space. } :whistle:

Don't know if that helps, or not, but there you have it.

PS. My wife looked over my shoulder while I was making this entry. She saw the "Smilies" box on the left side of the page, and one of them made her laugh.
So I am going to include it down below:

:bounce:

#38 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:23 PM

meandor for Merijn Re Error 75 issue.

I don't know how this happened but I re-scanned a few more times and my lost R0 item re-appeared. When I attempted to place this item into back-up the attached message appeared. This time it did copy to clipboard. I hope you can identify from this result what's happening.
As I said in my last post I don't recall this problem occurring while testing 1.98 HF or your first 1.98.1 Beta, and I remember testing the back up feature a number of times using the previous versions. Thanks
An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modBackup_MakeBackup(sItem=R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = )
Error #75 - Path/File access error

HijackThis version: 1.98.1

Mel Shepherd aka meandor

#39 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 07:42 PM

meandor here, to Robin, As you can see reading the post from Merijn he also experimented with the compression option and could reproduce the same error message I was receiving. He gave me an explanation about this and what was done to over come the error. He entered a new v1.98.1 Beta and the problem is solved. With the version you have on your system probably if you enabled the compression option you would receive the same error 5 message.
Something new has developed so I've just posted 2 more messages for Merijn. When I try to back up an item I receive an Error 75 message. You can read my clipboard attachment outlining the results. This new error has just appeared with Merijn's latest v1.98.1 Beta. It did not occur on the v1.98 Hotfix nor the first v1.98.1 Beta. Interesting!!!

On the lighter of my problems, you mentioned using the Smilies and you seem to be able to use them at will. I have tried but l I can't seem to accomplish ramdomly placing them. I'm a slow learner I guess, can you give me a clue. I've clicked on the smilies but all I seem to place are words like :techsupport or :hmmm, etc. I beginning to think my computer doesn't like me anymore.

Regards, meandor

#40 Robin Hickman

Robin Hickman

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:05 AM

Hi, Meandor, (a.k.a. "Mel") !! :wave:

So..... you seem to be having "problems" with "Smilies". :alarm:

OK, but just remember, I'm NO expert, even with something as seemingly simple as "smilies" !! :whistle:

The best place to "practice" using "smilies", or any other function of these forums, is in the "Test" forum. You can find the link to the "Test" forum at the very bottom of the listings on the Forum Main Page. It is the last forum listed. :ph34r:

:deal: { NOTE : To the more experienced Forum Dwellers, this entry doesn't have anything to do with subject "Problem" listed for this thread. Please bear with me as I am just a "Newbie" :gack: who is trying to help another "Newbie". }

When writing a reply in a thread, on the left-side of the page is the "Clickable Smilies" panel. Usually, you can click on one of those Smilies and its "code" will appear wherever your cursor was last on the page. The "code" for each smilie is a word tucked inside a pair of colon punctuation marks ( : ), with NO spaces between the colons or letters.

For example, to make the "Wave" smilie, you would click on the "Wave" smilie and " : ", "wave", and " : " (without the quote marks or spaces) would appear wherever you cursor was last on the page. When you "Preview" your reply, the smilies that you used should show up where you put their "codes". :wave:

"CODES" ?? :scratchhead:

The "codes" for the smilies can be found next to their corresponding smilies listed on the Smilies "Pop-Up" page. The link to the "Pop-Up" page can be found at the bottom of the "Clickable Smilies" column on the left-side of the "reply" page you get sent to when you want to write a reply to a thread. :hmmm:

BTW : A quick method for inserting a Smilie, is to type in the "code" for that Smilie exactly as it is written, BUT without the "underline". As you can probably guess (since I use it so often), I usually just type in " : wave : " (but without the quotes or spaces) whenever I want to insert a "Wave" Smilie. :wave:

Sometimes, and I'm not quite sure why, you click on a smilie and its "code" doesn't appear on the page where you think it's supposed to. It usually ends up in the bottom left-hand corner of reply page that you're working on. In other words, it appears at the very end of the document. All you have to do then is "cut/paste" it where you want it. I'm not sure, but I think the "problem" occurs when you move the cursor off of the page that you're working on and the program "loses" its place. So it puts the "code" at the end of the page by default. (but don't quote me on that) :rolleyes: In fact I just had it happen with the "roll eyes" smilie.

Anyways, I hope that helps you. the best place to try it out and practice is over in the "Test" forum. It's also a good place to practice other "reply" functions such as the "Quote" function.

On the lighter of my problems, you mentioned using the Smilies and you seem to be able to use them at will. I have tried but l I can't seem to accomplish ramdomly placing them. I'm a slow learner I guess, can you give me a clue. I've clicked on the smilies but all I seem to place are words like :techsupport or :hmmm, etc. I beginning to think my computer doesn't like me anymore.

If you would would like to know how I learned all of this "stuff", it was on the "Test Forum" over at "Net-Integration.Net", home of the "SpyBot Search & Destroy" Forums.

In fact, if you want a good laugh or two, go check out my "Test" entries over there. Evidently a LOT of people over there seem to find it somewhat amusing, as it is, by far, the most read thread in their "Test" forum !! :rofl:

Gotta Go for now. Good Luck with the "new" error. I hope a simple and effective solution is soon found.

PS. Both this site and the Net-Integration site use the same software for their forums. Unfortunately, neither Forum has a "TUTORIAL" on how to use it. :weep:

Edited by Robin Hickman, 29 July 2004 - 01:08 AM.

#41 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 09:50 AM

When you are writing a post, look on the left, under the Clickable Smilies frame.
You will see the link for the very complete BB Code Help.. And do try it out in the Test forum.

Let's keep this thread on topic, please, if you expect help from Merijn.

Merijn, please see http://www.spywarein...indpost&p=70340 above.

UNITE

#42 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 11:55 AM

Merijn - meandor here July 29/04 09:45 AM/ PDT

Sorry I got off topic there I got caught up in the moment.
Back to the Error 75 issue at hand.

An unexpected error has occurred at procedure: modBackup_MakeBackup(sItem=R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = )
Error #75 - Path/File access error

HijackThis version: 1.98.1

I went back to HJT version 1.98 Hotfix. No problem completing a Back Up procedure. I no longer have your first Beta v1.98.1 so I can't verify it's BU.
I'm sure the Error 75 problem was introduced with your second Beta v1.98.1 . I don't know if this info is of any help to you, I just thought I'd pass my findings on.
Thanks.

meandor
???

#43 cnm

cnm

Mother Lion of SWI

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,317 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:14 PM

toothoot post move to http://www.spywarein...showtopic=18536

UNITE

#44 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:05 AM

Meandor, I've updated the beta. Can you check if the backup error still happens?

#45 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:31 AM

meandor here, for Merijn - Re: 1.98.1 Errors
I'm trying to access your URL but I keep receiving page can't be displayed. I had a similar problems before. Last Beta I received via Richardthelionhearted, I gave up trying your site. I'll keep trying as sometimes I can get through eventually.

meandor

#46 H@ns

H@ns

Forum Deity

• Retired Staff - Helper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:39 AM

Hi Meandor, I can download it, shall I sent it to you via email?

Edit: I've sent you an email now, but it's done via a form here, so I can't attach attachments. As i've said in my mail, please reply to it, then I can attach the HijackThis.exe ;)

Edited by H@ns, 30 July 2004 - 08:42 AM.

Nucia Security Forums - Dutch Anti-Malware Support

#47 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

meandor for H@ns
If you can send please do. I'm having trouble accessing all the spywareinformation sites.

Thanks
meandor

#48 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:06 AM

meandor here: This is to Merijn

Finally able to download your latest Beta 1.98.1. Yes it does work.
I tried a few times and each item backs up fine.
I haven't checked all feature as yet but I'm sure all OK now. Third times
usually are.
Good work and Thank you.

meandor

#49 meandor

meandor

meandor

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 09:42 AM

To Merijn, Re: HijackThis 1.98.1 Beta Error problems.

I went through and tried all functions of your latest Beta version.
Everything I'm familiar with works fine. This version definitly looks like a keeper.
I believe I'll finally delete the old standby v1.97.7

Ciao, meandor

#50 Merijn

Merijn

Coding monkey

• Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 01:39 PM

Great, thanks for testing that out. :)
The beta will probably go public very soon now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Member of ASAP and UNITE
Support SpywareInfo Forum - click the button